Painting inside the bucket

Hey troops! I know there have been interior decorating threads posted before, I'm interested in learning more about getting the inside of my bucket just right. Spray paint vs. whatever else is going in. Trying to stay away from toxic fumes after the deed is done too. :rolleyes:

Hey troops! I know there have been interior decorating threads posted before, I'm interested in learning more about getting the inside of my bucket just right. Spray paint vs. whatever else is going in. Trying to stay away from toxic fumes after the deed is done too. :rolleyes:

im glad you asked this... i have been wondering the same thing... to paint the inside or not?

(i hope thats what you are asking... i dont mean to take your thread... )

No problemo! Yeah, I'm gonna paint it for sure since it's sure to aid in hiding my face inside, but I wanna find out who's done what and with what type of materials. I was planning to go with Rustoleum or Krylon fusion paint on one bucket. Unless someone has a better idea. :lol:

Something to keep in mind original helmets were not painted on the inside so if you have dark enough lenses then you don't have to worry about painting. Though I will say nice jobs like the one above make everyone drooll so if you have the inclination go for it!! Be warned though some of the stuff that folks use to line the helmets requires it to be heated and I know a guy who unfortunately warped his very nice expensive helmet trying to line it too quickly.

Those are sweet pads. Link us to them!

Great work. I like the finished insides. Yes, the movie ones arent finished, but who wants to hand a kid a clunker to see?

You lid and your blaster are the first peices to be handled.

I am in the process of making my bucket and I used Krylon Fusion Satin Black. Also, if you look closely, I cut out the vents in the back for a couple of fans and attached industrial velcro for the clips of my head band so I can adjust it accordingly. If I chose not to use ith head band I can just take it out.

Hope this helps

Brian

I am in the process of making my bucket and I used Krylon Fusion Satin Black. Also, if you look closely, I cut out the vents in the back for a couple of fans and attached industrial velcro for the clips of my head band so I can adjust it accordingly. If I chose not to use ith head band I can just take it out.

Hope this helps

Brian

Nice job, but I wonder what that ABS cement will do to that paint...

My opinion, you should have assembled the helmet before painting...

Has anyone painted the inside before assembly?

Those are sweet pads. Link us to them!

Great work. I like the finished insides. Yes, the movie ones arent finished, but who wants to hand a kid a clunker to see?

You lid and your blaster are the first peices to be handled.

http://www.spireworkwear.co.uk/product_inf.../products_id/41

These are the pads that i've used in my Lid.

I've glued mine inplace but i know of a guy on the UKG who velcroed (hook n loop) his in place

Must be available in the US, if not drop me a pm and i'll see what i can do ;) , i'll be in Florida in June so anyone from the FL Garrison interested just let me know.

I know super glue isn't meant to like paint.. but mine stuck just fine, I stuck all the padding in after I sprayed it :P

If not just sand the bits that need sticking then re paint once they're stuck together.

I was worried about the glue/paint issue too so I waited until after assembly which was a bit of a pain. Trying to spray in a small space and not have the stuff go all over or get too thick and run meant some very controlled bursts from the can. I also used plasticoat but I think next time the Krylon Satin black will be sufficient. I've run into a few issues removing velcro pads and the plasticoat comes with it.

Next time, I'm thinking of marking a "glue line" after prefitting the pieces together, mask the glue line and then spray. Plastic attaches to plastic and I still have a black interior. Just a thought.

I tested a couple of extra pieces using Devcon's Plastic Welder and it worked just fine. This is what I am using to glue the rest of the armor. In addition to the Plastic Welder, I plan on riviting the bucket at a couple of points. I'll let you know how it goes after I finish it...

So far, I haven't been able to locate those knee pads here in the states. I've checked all the "big-box" stores and some of the smaller ones. They must be only available in the UK. I haven't even been able to find a reasonable facsimile yet.

Well there have been some great posts here! Thanks! :D

My local Hardware store carries Rustoleum products only, so I picked up a can of Satin Black "Universal" advanced formula spray paint. It's got a crazy ergonomic looking trigger instead of the standard issue cap and spray button. :huh: But it's supposed to adhere to plastics!!!

I will take my helmet bits to work tomorrow and prep them for a good squirting.

Directions suggest several light coats within a few minutes of each other followed by a minimum 24 hour cure time. Sounds like all the other Paints I've ever used. :blink:

Well if anyone wants to stop me you've got about 24 hours from now to do it!!!!! ;)

After that it's either laughing at a job well done or laughing at a blow it!!! :lol:

Okay fellow Imperials.....I finally got some "rushed" moments to do the deed. The new delivery system for the spray paint (trigger) was weird and took some getting used to. Two fat coats were all the job required. I applied them by fogging the stuff on in a back and forth motion side to side.......then back over them a few minutes later up and down. Got good coverage as the paint really wants out of this weird can! I figure once I complete the helmet assembly.....a little sanding and a final coat will make it perf.......but as far as I'm concerned It's there now.

I didn't worry too much about the masking job being perfect as I may be painting the exterior as well although I did mask it off quite well.

Here's what it looked like a few minutes after the squirting:

post-395-1210653575_thumb.jpgpost-395-1210653534_thumb.jpgpost-395-1210653495_thumb.jpg

So I was done around 8:00 pm and will now let this set 72 hours....(Thursday night) before disturbing it again. I'll post a pic of the fully cured finish then =)

Thought I'd mention my little armor work table.....4'x4' square piece of 5/8" plywood with some Black indoor outdoor carpet rollled over and stapled on the underside. The Carpet is the very soft kind and won't scratch the work-pieces. I use the un-carpeted side for painting and other messy jobs. For the legs I use plastic adjustable sawhoarses from Home Depot...they look cheap but are actually pretty strong! The whole mess folds up and can be stored in about a 6"wide space.

Okay....48 hours have lapsed and I'm still smelling a bit of "New paint" smell so had a new color match deal going on.

post-395-1210829064_thumb.jpg

This is my kid's bucket (the AP is his replacement) we painted with Rustoleum "Dark Machine Gray" for the traps, tears, and frown. The decals came with the AP. No matter what type of lighting we use the colors are almost a 100% match, the only defining factor being the paint is a bit more flat than the glossy finish of the decal. It could be because we weathered the bucket pretty thoroughly and thus dulled down the gray paint. Any one else used this paint for their bucket? :huh:

Awright....the 70 some hours have lapsed and so I snagged some pics of the fully cured Interiorpost-395-1210901628_thumb.jpgpost-395-1210901596_thumb.jpg[attac

hment=793:AP_Interior4.jpg].

The Satin Black looks good, I'll more than likely have to clean it up one last time after helmet assembly is done. What do you guys (and gals) think?

post-395-1210901562_thumb.jpg

Awright....the 70 some hours have lapsed and so I snagged some pics of the fully cured Interiorpost-395-1210901628_thumb.jpgpost-395-1210901596_thumb.jpg[attac

hment=793:AP_Interior4.jpg].

The Satin Black looks good, I'll more than likely have to clean it up one last time after helmet assembly is done. What do you guys (and gals) think?

Looks excellent!

Very nice job.

i realy do want to spray the inside of my lid but may have trouble as i'm using a 1 piece fibreglass helm, the oly way that i can think of is to plug the eyes and mouth peice with plastcine and spray or be safe n paint it with a black gloss, or.......... maybe jut line it in some sort of black materail like felt or somthing