snap and strap options (pre-work)

vluvski

Hi, New member here!

I got in on the recent Anovos buy, and trying to get in on some build action while waiting for my kit to arrive.

I'd like to begin doing some prep work applying snaps to snap plates and one side of the straps, but I need some direction.

I've settled on elastic rather than nylon unless someone talks me out of it. :)

Does anyone have a diagram of all the strap locations? How many do I need total?  Is there a strap length range I can keep in mind- for example, maybe get feedback from a tall wearer and a short wearer?

Is velcro worth it? When used, how big does it have to be for single or for double snap method?  Is the nylon webbing backing necessary when using velcro? 

For the snap plates, is it worth backing the elastic with nylon webbing? Does it have to be sewn together or just fasten it all with the snap front and back without sewing?

Not sure how others feel about this, Veronica, but I would advise not using elastic on all of your snap connections.  For instance, I have found that the white 2 inch wide elastic for my shoulder connection does not hold up well after the wear and tear of repeated fastening/unfastening of the snaps, and have had to replace them twice.   I personally would use nylon wherever you can, as it holds up MUCH better.   These are photos of my strapping, but note that I used the double snap method on most connections so it never, ever comes apart.

mqTNpO1.jpg

ZstuZK9.jpg

• Like 2

Wonderful stuff!

Joseph, can you comment on how we might go about making snap plates if we're first-timers (with regard to materials)? I see on the forums here that people often make them with leftover/surplus ABS or PVC, but I don't have any of those. Do we just use extra nylon and glue it to the plastic later?

Or should we buy some extra ABS from somewhere in anticipation of this? Like Veronica, I would like to get ahead of things.

EDIT: Answered my own question with this:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/tutorials/article/16-howto-nylon-snap-plates-w-tandy-line-24-snaps/

Looks like "plates" are a misnomer, and that you can use nylon as a base plate and glue them onto the armor.

Thanks!

Bill

Edited by Astyanax
  • Like 1

Joseph inspired me to use the double snap method in most places and so far it works great!

I personally am using elastic connections with the understanding that they may not hold up as well, but was able to find a compromise that has worked nicely so far. My solution was to purchase a thicker elastic (at Joann Fabrics, it's called belt elastic, rather than knit elastic, and you have to ask them to cut the desired amount for you. It's also more expensive that the prepackaged stuff). I then doubled the fabric over on the ends and sewed them together with a sewing machine, using a pad or quilting stitch to reinforce the ends before putting in the snaps. The stitching also makes the ends less elastic and nearly as strong as the nylon, preventing the snaps from pulling through. You still, however, benefit from the elasticity of the bridging piece between the ends. 

I found the diagram Michael linked useful, and hardly had to make any adjustments in placement of the snaps.

As has been mentioned before, using the Tandy snaps is worth the extra cost. I've experimented with many types and nothing as worked nearly as well as the Tandy snaps.

• Like 1

Great find on the belt elastic, Tom!  Wish I would have known about that, and am now considering changing a few out for more flexibility.  And yes, Tandy snaps ROCK!  I sort of "cheaped out" on my first go round, and had to end up replacing them all, which was a pain in the butt-plate. 

And no, Veronica, I didn't back the elastic with nylon.  I would like to, to prevent the problem with the shoulder snaps I mentioned, but I don't have a sewing machine.  GREAT idea, though!  The only other place I use elastic (1 inch wide black) is for my bicep/forearm connection, which allows for a better range of movement.

• Like 1

Elastic all the way. It's not the elastics fault you're tearing it up; you're not treating it properly. Also, don't cheap out and get crappy elastics. It can also be doubled over in the ends where you add the snaps for more durability.

• Like 1

Perfect diagram, Michael, thanks for linking!  Do you know if anyone has created similar for the legs and arms?

Tom, Joseph, thanks for your feedback.

I then doubled the fabric over on the ends and sewed them together with a sewing machine

Y'all have convinced me that backing is absolutely key if I want to use elastic for a more flexible fit.  I've already bought knit elastic, unfortunately, and since I'm doing this as pre-work, it would be impossible to get proper measurements anyway.  At least I got the nicer tandy snaps already!

My goal is to be left with a half a hope of having wearable armor by the premier if Anovos manages to ship out early enough.  Probably a lost cause, but I'll be ready!

• Like 1

Perfect diagram, Michael, thanks for linking!  Do you know if anyone has created similar for the legs and arms?

Glad it helped.  I attach my thigh using a garter system.  I have a 1" nylon belt I wear around my waist, then have a 2" elastic strap that is looped around the belt and then snaps to the inside of my thigh.  I know some people have built them attaching the straps to the ab armor too.  There is a member who sells garter systems in the ongoing sales sections.  The calf and thigh armor are not connected.

This is exactly where I am on my kit. I just bought the 1" strapping and some knit elastic that I will now be returning.  I love those snapping diagrams.  We really need more showing strapping and elastic sizes!

For some of the locations, I do plan on changing over to elastic (belt elastic!) so that it might be more sit-able.  Saw a discussion here:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32788-making-armor-sit-able/

Question on the single snap vs. double snap idea...  I see a few builds that have the double snaps like Joseph did on his. For those of you that have been trooping with your TK's, have you had any issues with single snaps coming unsnapped during a troop?  Does the double snap help??

I had just 1 or 2 issues with the snaps coming off, Jeff, mainly on the butt/kidney connection.  A Centurion friend in the Makaze squad showed me this method, so I decided to just switch the majority out.  No problems worrying about anything coming unsnapped now.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I bought a whole bunch of different materials for this. I have 1" & 3" black elastic and nylon for snap plates and connections, 1/8th", 3/4", and 2" white elastic for the shoulder straps and dropboxes and a bunch of different sized white and black industrial velcro. I will definitely be using a combo of all of these.

Joe what did you use to glue your snap plates?

Use E6000, because if you use your armor a lot, snaps can eventually get loose and need replacing. With E6000, just peel up the snap plate and put a new one on. If you use CA glue, you'll have to move the snap plate to a new location and leave the old one, or risk damaging the armor trying to remove the old one.
  • Like 1

You probably won't need a ton, 2" is probably good maybe like a metre or so?

I would get double that. The cost is tiny, but the hassle involved in another trip to the shop, or another order, can be considerable.
  • Like 2