hupspring's Doopydoo's E11 build

hupspring

Hey Richard, indeed it's bee a while and you made some nice progress.

Would definitely vote to cut or countersunk the nail's head.

Good work on the trigger section, appears very clean on the pictures. :duim:

Nice work Richard.<br><br><br>

With regard to the trigger fixing nail I would suggest cutting the head off and shortening the shaft of the nail to just less than the width of the trigger assembly.<br><br><br>

You can then install and cover both ends with green stuff and once painted you won't be able to see a thing.<br><br><br>

Have a look at page 4 of my build if what I have explained is unclear.

Edited by Thrawn's guard

• 5 months later...
Wow it's been a long time since I've updated this thread! I haven't actually done any work on my Doopy's since my last update in October. I think after I finished the scope and grip I kind of lost focus and moved on to other hobbies (mostly my HO train table). But then towards the end of January I got my Anovos TK kit and after a month and a half I mostly finished it which really made me want to work on my blaster again.

So today I finally jumped back into it. I had the day off from work and after doing a few other tasks, I took the box of Doopy parts to the garage and got to down to business.

Folding stock first. I found some small rivets that looked like the right size for the ones in the middle of the folding stock, so I drilled out the resin and they fit perfectly. Then the domes were sanded off from the hinge part and holes drilled for a screw which is about the right size.

dd-folding-stock-1.jpg

The screws are also a good length so I don't need to cut them, I can just screw them both in to hold the folding stock on. 

Next up I needed a screw to hold the front of the folding stock to the barrel. I had a lot of left over screws that I bought for the helmet ears, so I used one of them on the front. The head is on the inside of the barrel with the screw going down - you can kind of see it in this picture looking down the front of the barrel. It took a few minutes to get the screw in from the inside - it involved tweezers and a little swearing. Once I got it in I applied some CA glue so it doesn't fall back into the barrel (I had to make the hole a little larger than the screw so that I was able to get it in).

dd-front-screw-1.jpg

The screw will go into a hole in the folding stock where it will be glued.

dd-front-screw-2.jpg

Folding stock done, I moved on to the power cylinders. I cleaned out the inside, shaved off the resin nut from the front tubes and basically started following Tino's tutorial

dd-power-cylinders-1.jpg

dd-power-cylinders-2.jpg

dd-power-cylinders-3.jpg

After I made the capacitors, I had some green stuff left over, so I decided to add some to the front sight and used a carving tool to add the texture. I might have added a little too much on the front side, but it looks pretty good.

dd-front-sight.jpg

I'm waiting for the green stuff to cure on the capacitors before I finish the power cylinders. So I switched to the magazine receiver and magazine. I hollowed out the receiver more to fit Gazmosis's magazine. I had to trim a little from the bottom of the magazine since I didn't hollow out the receiver deep enough.

I then made a front sight pin using a screw. I cut off a piece and used a cutting disk on the rotary tool to make it look like the pictures on the blaster reference thread.

dd-front-sight-2.jpg

After cutting it to size it fit perfectly in the front sight that Thrawn's guard sent me months ago.

dd-front-sight-3.jpg

I also started hollowing out the hengstler counter since I bought a cheap counter from Amazon. I didn't get very far with that before calling it a day. Hopefully this weekend I can do more work.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
I got a little more work done on the E11 this week. I wanted to get a lot more details, but I think the time I have is limiting me and I want to get the blaster done before I fall into another lull. I was able to finish the power cylinders but forgot to take a picture of the finished result (still unpainted). The last picture I have is before adding the anything to the rear.

dd-power-cylinders-4.jpg

After looking at that picture I think I made the strip in front too big. It should probably be about half the size. I don't think I'm going to take it off and cut it as there are other items I'd rather get to and finish. The little "wings" on the sides wouldn't stay put (I think my CA glue is getting old) so I put notches where the wings would go. The wings then just slid into the notches and are snug enough to not fall out, but I did add some glue anyways to be safe.

I then started adding pins to the smaller items like the bayonet lug, charging handle, etc. I used a small rod that came with the cheap counter set I got.

dd-slug-pin.jpg

I also added a screw to the inside of the magazine. Since this picture, I also drilled out the spot where the grub screw will go and used some carving tools to clean up the crevices.

dd-mag-screw.jpg

Then I decided to shape the scope rail from T-Jay's kit. I used a cutting wheel on the rotary tool to cut the rail, and it took a while. I'm not sure what you're supposed to use, but it worked well enough. I also wasn't sure how to bend the rail, but eventually I stuck it in a portable workbench's vice and went at it. It was a bit scary as it sounded like wood cracking when I started. When finished, there was a good bend but one side showed stress cracks. Hopefully it won't be a problem.

dd-scope-rail.jpg

I also made the small bracket that will hold the counter using the same bending process and coming up with the same result.

dd-scope-rail-2.jpg

I still need to drill the holes for the scope and counter and I think the counter is the last item to work on before I start painting everything. Opening up that hole on the counter has been time consuming and every time I look at it I tell myself I'll finish that later. Hopefully later doesn't turn out to be 6 months down the road!

• Like 1

Richard it's great to see that you are back on with your blaster build and have made a good deal of progress. <br><br>

I also had some issues with bending my scope rail so you aren't the only one with this issue. I actually ended up snapping mine so had to build a replacement using a aluminium ruler.<br><br>

I can't wait to see how the blaster looks once completed.

• Like 1

Richard it's great to see that you are back on with your blaster build and have made a good deal of progress. <br><br>

I also had some issues with bending my scope rail so you aren't the only one with this issue. I actually ended up snapping mine so had to build a replacement using a aluminium ruler.<br><br>

I can't wait to see how the blaster looks once completed.

The scope rail seems to be pretty sturdy at the bend even with those little stress cracks. Luckily I'm using this blaster as a display piece, so it shouldn't break due to manhandling it.

I set a goal to have this blaster completed by the end of May. That should give me plenty of time, but I think a deadline will help force me to finish rather than set it aside again. :)

It's also been kind of fun getting back at it.

Edited by hupspring

• 5 months later...

So the end of May deadline didn't happen :P

It's been really slow going trying to finish this blaster, mostly just trying to find the time to do it. But over the last few months I've finally finished it to the point where I just need to weather it (who knows when that will happen!). There are some parts that I wish I had done differently (like the counter), and there are a couple parts that I want to fix, but I doubt I ever will (like the position of the rear sight).

e11-right.jpg

e11-left.jpg

e11-left-front.jpg

e11-right-closeup.jpg

e11-scope-cylinders.jpg

e11-cylinders.jpg

e11-scope-counter.jpg

Hi Richard, glad to finally see paint on this one :)  Don't worry about the weathering, as your TK armor is (currently) unweathered, too. Will be a matching look.

The only thing I would suggest, is to add a black washing on those screws in the Hengstler counter. But that is all just personal taste...

Congratulations on this blaster :duim:

• Like 1

It feels good to finally have it looking like a blaster and not a bunch of parts. :)

I'll probably do a light black wash on those screws, and do some light weathering on the rest of the blaster (just a few small scuffs to give it a little bit of personality). Then it's on the wall for display since I feel more comfortable using the Hyperfirm for troops!

Wow! Great build! :)

I like the way you modified the Scope! Awesome work!!! :)

Thanks! The scope was probably my favorite part of this build. I still want to make a functioning scope some day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk