Downsizing the TFA TK

Dark CMF

Hey everyone, I'm curious if anyone has done any downsizing of the kit yet?

If not, does anyone have any ideas about sensible places to cut each of the parts to fit. As there will be seam filling and paint, there's probably a good amount of latitude for resizing, but you'd obviously have to maintain the lines and shapes of the parts so it looks correct.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, as I haven't seen any of it happen yet. Thanks!

I haven't had the nerve to cut my kit down. The thighs and calves are too long for my legs, but I'm not seeing where it would be wise to trim those parts and keep the curves of the plastic.

• Like 1

So what I'm doing is having to bring the thighs up as high as I can and make sure the knee gaskets are as centered as possible between the thigh and calf. 

I'm thinking anyone shorter than myself, 5'6", may have to wait for a trimmable kit (if that's possible!) or one sized for shorter frames. 

I've shortened legs on clones and TK for people. Quite a few actually. I always cut off the bottom of the shin where it's less noticeable. I think it will look fine on the TFA since we have the spats that finish of the ankle.

I've got a followup question about sizing: but instead of length, it's about girth. (Jokes aside, people.)  I know that there should be some room around the arms and legs for the gaskets to fit in - and that the primary reason for the gaskets is to fill in the space for elbows/knees.  But if there is a method (whether the cloth gaskets or better latex or whatever) to thin that material, would the suit be able to handle a thinner frame?

Basically, has anyone tailored the fit of the arms and legs to tighten a bit closer to their body's build?  Kind of like how we're supposed to do for Original Trilogy TKs - avoiding the "bell" look around the knees, for example.  

I'm no scarecrow, but my legs are leaner than the rest of me, so I was wondering if tightening these pieces would A) look ok, and B) cause any issues with movement.  I like the armor to look as tight as possible - and I also know the tighter the armor, the more secure it is.

Anyone have any success, recommendations, or thoughts on that?

Where are all ordering this armor from? I must be blind and I am not seeing it on the forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's currently unavailable to the general public.  Armor kits were sold to us as a marketing kit to determine any issues or problems before it is made available.

*bump* for my post above.  Did anyone have any problem slimming down some of the armor pieces (legs, forearms, biceps)?

• 2 weeks later...

I think you could maybe do the biceps since there is a seamless side, but you'd have to cut off the whole return edge to make the curve match because none of these pieces are perfectly flat on the ends of the tubes. The shins and thighs aren't seamless so you'd have to both recreate the visible seam after cutting it and also make the curves of the plastic match up since they won't if you cut any off. I'm sure it's possible, but no where near as easy as it is to modify a classic TK.

• Like 1

I've shortened legs on clones and TK for people. Quite a few actually. I always cut off the bottom of the shin where it's less noticeable. I think it will look fine on the TFA since we have the spats that finish of the ankle.

Too bad the reverse process is not so easy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I say you can do just about anything to the old Tk and the new TFA. I have been doing this to the old TK's for many years so i decided that i should try this on my friends kit. I wanted to do this to mine but i did not have enough time to comple this for C7. i am 5'10 175 and max is about the same height but only 140. He fits into his C3PO no problem. I cut down the ab plate, butt plate, arms and legs. I think it looks good just need to finish with the bondo sanding and then final paint.

BF9Cjcz.jpgWhZF574.jpg

5Anvpcc.jpg

wLXBspK.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/24/2015 at 3:08 AM, TK1636 said:

I say you can do just about anything to the old Tk and the new TFA. I have been doing this to the old TK's for many years so i decided that i should try this on my friends kit. I wanted to do this to mine but i did not have enough time to comple this for C7. i am 5'10 175 and max is about the same height but only 140. He fits into his C3PO no problem. I cut down the ab plate, butt plate, arms and legs. I think it looks good just need to finish with the bondo sanding and then final paint.

This is good to know. I was at the local Steel City Con here just outside of Pittsburgh, PA. There was a TFA in costume. He mentioned that you need to be 6 Foot tal to fit into TFA Armor.

Andy

Revisiting this thread, because since I originally asked - to help out a fellow trooper that is on the short side - we've all but completed his armor, and we made several cuts to get a better fit.

For the biceps, you can pretty much cut height off of the top of them with no impact at all, as they are hidden behind the shoulder bells when worn.

For the forearms, you can cut down 1/4-1/2 inch or so from the elbow before you get into the details of the armor and can't cut any further. Obviously, you cannot cut anything out of the wrists. Additionally, much like the OT TK had mobility cuts (half moons) made in the backs of the thighs and calves, you can put similar cuts in the forearms on the FO TK. Why do I say that you can do this? Here's why:

XyzasZU.jpg

For the thighs, you can cut plenty off of the top of them with no risk of really damaging the appearance of the armor.

The shins, you can cut from the top a bit, or from the bottom some (but you may have to recreate the cutout if you cut too high) without issue.

For the back, yoke, and chest... We didn't find any way to sensibly downsize them, but the way that the armor fits, you can pretty much leave them alone for most people.

For the abdomen, as has been discussed, you can cut down the top of it (behind the chest plate) or cut some girth out of it, but not a great amount as the sides are hard molded to the body shape.

For cutting down all of those limb parts evenly, there is a simple trick that I use (for cutting any armor uniformly, actually. Not just the FOTKs). You get yourself a pencil, and another straight "stick." It could be a chopstick, another pencil, whatever. You tape the two of them together so that the one on the top extends no less than an inch beyond the pencil's sharpened tip. Then, you put the tip of the pencil lead against the armor and rest the other "stick" on top of the armor. Draw all the way around, and cut to that line. You will effectively recreate the original curve of the armor and remove about 1/4 of an inch each time you do it.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021