Painting the inside of the helmet

Hi,

I have seen a few posts from people who have painted the inside of their helmet black.  Is there an advantage of doing it? (more opaque? better against the Sun?, etc.)

Thanks

PS:  Sorry for still calling it a "helmet".  I haven't adopted the funnier "bucket" terminology yet   :smiley-sw013:

Hi Laval!  Instead of paint, I used a product called Plasti-Dip for mine, and have been very pleased with it.  It is a black rubberized coating that comes in a spray can, and pretty easy to use.  (Available at Lowe's in the spray paint section).  I personally like it, as it sort of masks the white of the inside, and seems to make it a bit more difficult for people to see inside your bucket.  If you have already installed your lenses and frown screen, just be sure to mask them off well.  If not, it is a bit easier.  Also, whether you decide to use paint or Plasti-Dip, make certain you give the inside a good sanding, clean it well after, and use a primer.  (Krylon makes one just for plastic).  Hope this helps!

I suggest painting it when the bucket isn't assembled. I painted the inside of mine with (for plastic) black spray paint and it came out nice. Plasti dip isn't permanent which is why I think some here go with it.

• Like 1

But is you plan to have stuff glued inside (or velcroed)... would it be better to do that first so that these are not 'on' the paint?  That means I'd need to paint around these parts too (so no spray).

I have my mic, speaker, 2 fans, and 2 battery packs in mine, all attached with Velcro, and have had no problems.  I installed them after the Plasti-dip.  If you wanted, you could always mask the sections for the electronics off before applying paint, so that they stick better.

• Like 1

Another option would be a truck bed liner spray.  It comes in an spray can just like plastidip does.  Not sure which is cheaper to use.  It's a permanent thing too.  After I sprayed the inside of my helmet I had no issues attaching fans.  When it dries it's not a smooth surface either so it kinda helped with attaching the fans.  It's a rough surface.  The brand I used smelled really bad when it was wet but when it dried the smell went away.

On 5/8/2015 at 12:31 AM, Somatophylax said:

But is you plan to have stuff glued inside (or velcroed)... would it be better to do that first so that these are not 'on' the paint?  That means I'd need to paint around these parts too (so no spray).

As you can see above, pretty much everyone attaches things inside of the helmet using Velcro.  

You can attach the Velcro to the painted inside of the helmet without any real difficulty.

Here is a picture of the inside of my bucket when I was almost done with my recent upgrades:

pfk0jOP.jpg

The inside was painted before anything was installed, Velcro is stuck to the inside of the helmet, and everything else is stuck on the Velcro!

• Like 4

Hi Laval!  Instead of paint, I used a product called Plasti-Dip for mine, and have been very pleased with it.  It is a black rubberized coating that comes in a spray can, and pretty easy to use.  (Available at Lowe's in the spray paint section).  I personally like it, as it sort of masks the white of the inside, and seems to make it a bit more difficult for people to see inside your bucket.  If you have already installed your lenses and frown screen, just be sure to mask them off well.  If not, it is a bit easier.  Also, whether you decide to use paint or Plasti-Dip, make certain you give the inside a good sanding, clean it well after, and use a primer.  (Krylon makes one just for plastic).  Hope this helps!

Laval is his home city, not his name  ;)

I painted one of my helmets in satin black (with spray paint), and it's FANTASTIC !!!  Just do it before cutting and build it.  

During the building (yeah, lots of ABS dust, I know !) :

uq1Mss1l.jpg?1

• Like 1

On 5/8/2015 at 4:16 AM, Dark CMF said:

As you can see above, pretty much everyone attaches things inside of the helmet using Velcro.  

You can attach the Velcro to the painted inside of the helmet without any real difficulty.

Here is a picture of the inside of my bucket when I was almost done with my recent upgrades:

The inside was painted before anything was installed, Velcro is stuck to the inside of the helmet, and everything else is stuck on the Velcro!

Show-Off !  

:P

• Like 2

On 5/8/2015 at 4:16 AM, Dark CMF said:

What do you have connected to your mic tips? I see the wires running to them and I'm curious.

Sent from a galaxy far far away

There are speakers in the Hovi Tips.  When using them, everything (wire-wise) is contained in my helmet, so there are no wires running down my neck seal or into my armor.