Disney's new E-11 Mod Build - My version

CFP214

Hey All, finally getting around to starting a build of my own while I wait for my armor.  I was going to start by modifying my old Hasbro blaster, but I recently went to Disneyland and picked up their new E-11 to try my hand at modifying that.  As this is relatively new territory, let me know any ideas or comments on how I go about things.  And any tips and tricks would be appreciated! 

Brought it home and took it right out of the box to see the overall design.  Comes like shown here:

mAo9k5L.jpg

Not too bad for an out of the box toy! First thing I noticed is that the scale of the overall blaster is a bit scaled down.  Thanks to charlesnarles' post, I figured the scale is around 83% of the real Blaster.  Below are some measurements I took of the barrel, front and rear

qBoOuiW.jpg

k4fbIP2.jpg

About 1.25" at the nose and about 1.375" at the tail end, right before the endcap.  For this build, I will be using a high end 3D printer to print out modded pieces as well as using other hardware to make it more like the real E-11.  I like the lights and sounds of this blaster so it was a good starting point.  

I have read a few topics saying 3D printing may not be the way to go, but the printer I have access to is high quality and doesnt leave the visible layers of the plastic.  for example, this is the endcap I plan to use to replace the one on the blaster.  I have the holes for the speaker sound effects and will clean it up by sanding and 2part epoxy.  I also made a 0.01" recess in the center to make fitting the D-Ring holder easy. Not too bad though right out of the printer.  Let me know what you think

Just realized these pics got deleted off photobucket...no worries.  go to page 2 to see a better version of the endcap

Soon I plan to open up the blaster and replace the tail section with this piece.  Ill post after I complete it.  Also, below is the D-ring and D-ring holder that I printed out.  All pieces were created using drawings from Ducati's build, so credit to him.  

mGMkwaM.jpg

Stay tuned for the install.  Let me know any beginning thoughts you have!

• Like 2

Nice.  What material are you using for the printing?

Material is SLA.  Brittle but better resolution than the ABS printers.  It's easy enough to sand and paint though so should work the way I want

You've got all the facy high tech tools! That's the way to go. I might have to ask for a 83% front sight/butterfly guard

The DD kit front sight is too big huh?  You going to cut the sight off at the barrel and replace it?  Thinking of doing the same cause the one on there just isn't done too well.  Takes just as long to print 2 as it does 1! 

The DD kit front sight is too big huh? You going to cut the sight off at the barrel and replace it? Thinking of doing the same cause the one on there just isn't done too well. Takes just as long to print 2 as it does 1!

No, mines a Hasbro conversion kit so I don't have lots of pieces you'd get with a pipe completion set, not to mention it's all 40mm wide. I'd love to compensate you somehow for a front sight if you were going to print one anyways. Yeah, I was gonna replace it with the one on my Hasbro since that kinda turned into a pipe hybrid (if I even finish it). I'll pm you.

Also wondering if your butt cap is tapered out towards the user like it should? Looks like it does, but wasn't sure

Edited by charlesnarles
  • Like 1

Also wondering if your butt cap is tapered out towards the user like it should? Looks like it does, but wasn't sure

Well, in the process of modifying the solid model of the front site so once I nail it down I'll print it, check the fit and then hit you up.

As for the end cap, yes it is tapered to how it should be. Time to bust out the Dremel and cut off the old one. Pics to come

The guts of the gun.  Opened it up to test how my endcap would fit...I forgot the back of the barrel was 1.375" and I made the cap scaled to 1.25" like the front of the barrel...oops.  time for a reprint! 

RxcXUsC.jpg

Also added some stops in the inside of the cap so when I remove the stock endcap, I can just slide it on and it will fit right in the spot I want.  CAD picture is below to show what I mean

ZTAad8T.jpg

3EoHfHW.png

Those stops are 0.20" from the outer plane so it should give me some room to epoxy the cap in place.  Should be able to print and test it tonight

Thanks! Work in progress obviously but I think we are all learning when it comes to modding this gun.  Wanted to add that the trigger and rear sight will be easy to mod.  they are just pieces that slide out and can easily be replaced.  Im thinking I can use the real E-11 parts, scale them and add features on the inside that allow me to use the current assembly methods.  stay tuned

On 5/8/2015 at 3:42 AM, OGFNG said:

Great work.  Will you be either releasing the files so others can print, or offering printed versions for sale?

I can release files once the gun is built, for sure! as far as offering printed parts for sale, not sure I would feel too good about doing that only because I am not paying for the printer materials.  so in that respect, I think I would rather post the completed files so others may have the same oppurtunity.

So lets talk rear sight.  The one they provide is close, but not quite the right look as the real E-11.  I reverse engineered the site and got a model of it down

7o9MWm6.png

Here is a comparison to a real E-11 Rear Sight Guard (provided by Ducati)

kXb3wg7.png

You'll notice the Disney site is skinnier than the real one.  I thought about making it fatter to fit the real E-11 profile, however I dont believe in my dremel skills to make a new precise square cut.  So, going to make the mods to the Disney sight to make it similar that way I can just slide it right into the current assembly hole, paint it and call it a day.  Also going to add the rear sight insert.   This is what is currently in the printer, see below:

oMVwIOq.png

Much better than the one provided by Disney :) 

I know I keep showing models but once everything is done today I will post how it looks.  Any thoughts on this rear site mod?  going to put a dowel pin through that hole so the insert swivels

• Like 1

I know I keep showing models but once everything is done today I will post how it looks.  Any thoughts on this rear site mod?  going to put a dowel pin through that hole so the insert swivels

What's your thoughts on the scope/counter rail?  Most mount the rail in the middle of the sight.

This is great to watch. Keep up the good work. I just picked up two of these on May the 4th at Disney World and I am planning on modding one of them. My buddy has a new 3D printer so we are going to keep a close eye on your build.

Thanks and keep those pictures coming.

What's your thoughts on the scope/counter rail?  Most mount the rail in the middle of the sight.

There is room for the mounting hole on the opposite side of the view I show above.  Once I figure out how I am going to mount the rail and remove the stock Disney one, I will post the walk through.  But you are correct to bring that up, I did take that into account

Parts are done! Lookin good so far.  Cant wait to get home and test the fit of these guys.  Below is the new endcap and new rear sight.  also comparison of new and old rear sight.  Note, the insert to the rear Sight swivel's and was not printed like that...it does come apart.  Will put a dowel pin through there to assemble.

vkkZBCw.png

2QTAilm.png

Whats good about the little wings on the new Rear Sight is I can simply slide that whole assembly right where the old one was.  Much better but cant wait to paint it.  More later!

• Like 1

Got a chance to fit the Rear Sight last night.  And by fit I mean just simply slide into place since it fit like a glove!  Again, not as wide as the real sight but I think it works so I dont have to worry about opening up that hole.  Check it out:

XwWDOSf.jpg

VDB2ato.jpg

Pretty happy about that part actually.  Cut, print, moving on...

The D-ring holder fits nicely into the recess I made for it in the endcap and it hides to speaker holes nicely.  Check out the assembly (and btw the new endcap is a better fit).  I will cut off the old one, epoxy those folding stock catches and fit it this weekend so ill post those soon

VKY1Yv5.jpg

Also was able to model the front nose piece based on charlesnarles scale factor (thanks for that).  Did an overnight print and got this guy this morning

ZVB3rdp.jpg

Its a little long but I can just cut off the excess once I fit it to the front of the barrel.  Got some work cut out for me this weekend but I should be able to get these parts on this weekend and I will post updates with process and results! stay tuned

• Like 2