Storm's AP Build

I just got my Authentic Props kit this past Friday, so of course, I jumped right into building it.  I started with the helmet since I had it trimmed for me.  I got an ATA helmet a while ago that I trimmed and painted, so I went the easy route for the helmet this time.  The kit comes with stickers, but I did a fair job on my ATA, so I'm painting this one.  I did use stickers for the tube stripes, though.  I tried, I don't know how many times, and I could never get them right.  I just gave up! 

I know about the mic tips that comes with AP.  I will either buy new ones or switch out the ones on my ATA since that one is for display anyway.

I'm still deciding if I should go dirty or not.  I got some time and the helmet is an easy fix if I decide to change it.

So, how's it looking so far?

DSCN3359_zpsih0yuxe0.jpgDSCN3360_zpsxxknd8sz.jpgDSCN3361_zpshnsuvgco.jpgDSCN3362_zpsvqmp3eu2.jpg

Not too bad at all. Your outlines are a bit wonky but I'm sure you can straighten those out with second pass. What you will probably need to repair is the left side tear below the eye. (As you are wearing it) paint within this area should go all the way to the "walls". If you place a pencil into the valley where the bottom meets the sides and trace all the way around, that will be your guide. Here is an example:post-12041-0-70378900-1424822003_thumb.jpg

Good 'example' photo Steve. And great idea to pencil it in first. Wish I did that. The same process could be used for the rear traps as well. I think the left one (as we see it in the pic) is a bit away from the bottom corners too.

Trooperbay sells excellent stencils for painting the tube stripes too, if you decide to paint them later. Just remember, about a pencil width away from the cheek crease.

I took off the left tear and repainted it.  I touched up some of the others as well, but I just can't seem to get them to look right.  I may just use the stickers for approval and keep practacing my painting skills untill I'm confident that I can get it right. 

Thanks for the advice Ian and Steve!

Also, Steve we are almost neighbors!  I'm in the Elgin area.

I made my first cuts.  How is the forearms supposed to fit?  I have been using trooperbay's video and he stated that the sides are 5/8ths and he used 5/16ths shim.  I know he is using different armor, but mine seems big.  Up near the elbow seems to fit fine, but could be trimmed down more if needed.  The wrist seems big, but I'm not sure if that gap is supposed to be filled by the glove?

DSCN3372_zpsrd3o9gzb.jpgDSCN3374_zpskpgnjl55.jpg

I have a gap, maybe not quite as big but you can only go as small as to fit your hand through. I put a little piece of foam inside to keep it from moving around

• 2 weeks later...

Seems ok to me. What's important is to make the hole as small as possible with your hand able to get in and get out, and enough space to put on the gloves.

I actually ended up trimming them down a bit more.  I do not have the correct gloves yet, but I test fitted them with very similar gloves I use at work.  The glue is currently drying on my left forearm and the right is done.  I will post new pictures when the left dries.  Thanks for all the advice!

AHH, they are to big.  Damn it.  Ah well.  I used E6000 so I can just rip them off, cut them again, and reglue them.  I knew something felt wrong.

Edited by Stormcracker

So, I ripped off all the strips, cleaned up the dried glue, and resized the strips.  I glued only one side of one forearm.  How did I do this time?

Trimming on the edges still needs to be done.DSCN33981_zpsi2l4qzbh.jpg

Edited by Stormcracker

• 4 weeks later...

I have not updated in a long time, but I have made progress.  Forearms and shoulder bells are done.  Biceps are drying.

I was going to start to trim the thighs when I confused myself.  I had the thighs straight when I unboxed and I should have wrote on the inside which was which.  Now that it is go time, I am not sure which is which.

DSCN3410_zpsnod4kyt1.jpg

Help please!

A bit difficult to say on your picture. A front picture would be more helpful, but i would say:

3 = Inner Right thigh

4 = Inner Left thigh

1 = Outer Right thigh

2 = Outer Left thigh

Hopefully this picture will help you. You can see how the inner half has a specific double curve to fit with the cod which is the easiest way to identify it:

14995458967_3f21651642_c.jpg

(The thigh facing front is the left thigh, the one facing back and with the ammo belt is the right thigh)

Edited by The5thHorseman

A bit difficult to say on your picture. A front picture would be more helpful, but i would say:

3 = Inner Right thigh

4 = Inner Left thigh

1 = Outer Right thigh

2 = Outer Left thigh

Hopefully this picture will help you. You can see how the inner half has a specific double curve to fit with the cod which is the easiest way to identify it:

As usual, I agree with Germain's keen powers of observation!  I believe his part/number matching is correct.

I laid out my AP thigh pieces when I got home from work.

Like Germain said, the inner thighs are immediately obvious because of the double curve which can be seen when looking at the front.

I also noticed when they are laid out like your picture, the untrimmed AP inner thighs stand "taller" from the table.  It's a deeper form.

Once you've made these comparisons, try fitting the inner thghs to your legs.

It's almost impossible to put them on the wrong legs.

If you do manage to fit them wrong, I promise, it will be very uncomfortable (almost a violation!)

Once you've establish left and right inner thighs, then just match up the remaining pieces.

The left outer WON'T line up with the right inner.

The right outer WON'T line up with the left inner.

Much easier than I thought.

• Like 1