Freedom of Speech? Where?

TK bondservnt

Okay, you lost me halfway.

Either someone spills the beans what all this is about or we close this thread ...

All these hints and half-information is kinda making it worse.

it's fun to see how people have opinions on the rights and positions of others.  in normal understanding this is a conceptual debate on how freedom of speech

relates to costumes and the 501st legion.  how freedom of speech relates to us as stormtroopers.

this is a conceptual and debate centered topic designed to pique interest and commentary on words.

I personally feel that speech should be protected in all forms.  be it rant, or peace.

for example we say that america has freedom of speech... and those of us in america know that this is a fantasy.

We in america can lose our job, lose our children our spouse and our car all because of what we say.

look at the guy who was FORCED to sell his basketball team, or at least they want to take away his freedom to speak.

when I last thought of the idea... freedom meant that you were free to do so? 

The example is that even in america when a person makes a questionable comment, they are fined, and punished because of speech.

who gives a person the right to say that we can not speak freely here?  Who gave the power to anyone to say that?

part of true freedom is the open ability to speak freely. 

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

I'm just saying that it helps to understand the definition of it before you start tossing it around like a catch all excuse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech

Let's say a member here was a KKK member and started racist threads here on FISD.  Do you think "freedom of speech" would protect him and his threads from being deleted?!?!?!?  You don't think it'll be okay to suspend or ban the racist member?  Or, are you suggesting that this privately-owned forum must allow him to stay and keep starting racist threads?

Let's say I hate Asian ppl and went to my job with an anti-Asian t-shirt.  And, I start posting posters all over my office that are anti-Asian.  Do you think my employer has no right to stop it?!?!?

• Like 1

look at the guy who was FORCED to sell his basketball team, or at least they want to take away his freedom to speak.

Boohoo for the Billionaire racist. Being a racist is one thing, but being a racist who profits off the back of the race you are against is just hypocritical.

Maybe he isn't a racist, maybe he just said something in the moment that was construed as racist. Those who are that far in the public eye aren't allowed the freedom to be who they want to be. They need to be what the people who pay him want him to be.

Freedom is not free, and the FISD is allowed to do whatever it wants. If people don't agree they are welcome to leave. Not the greatest policy, or a sustainable one if FISD management decided to be crazy, but it always has that option. If you have a financial investment in the forums you might have a say in how it is run.... might.

Boohoo for the Billionaire racist. Being a racist is one thing, but being a racist who profits off the back of the race you are against is just hypocritical.

Maybe he isn't a racist, maybe he just said something in the moment that was construed as racist. Those who are that far in the public eye aren't allowed the freedom to be who they want to be. They need to be what the people who pay him want him to be.

Freedom is not free, and the FISD is allowed to do whatever it wants. If people don't agree they are welcome to leave. Not the greatest policy, or a sustainable one if FISD management decided to be crazy, but it always has that option. If you have a financial investment in the forums you might have a say in how it is run.... might.

Though I understand your point Derrek be mindful of what you say. Regarding the billionaire, though I'm in now way condoning his actions, the fact he said something in PRIVATE that was used against him should concern you. Also, you are in a PUBLIC forum badmouthing someone you don't even know, yet you have judged. Does slander ring a bell?

Everyone here, If you own anything that's connected to the grid you are now subject to being chastised even in your moment of weakness, you are now PUBLIC. If this is the world you think we should live in then we're all headed back to authoritarian rule. 

I'm a firm believer in treating others as you would like to be treated, that includes watching our mouths as to not offend others however, we are on a slippery slope people. 

Opening your mouth in the PUBLIC is one thing, in private should be another.

2 cents    

My point exactly, it should NOT be held against him. 

Once something is out in the public, it is impossible to put that genie back in the bottle.

All of us carries a bias even if we don't think it is true. Our biases are created by our experiences and absorbed from the people who speak to and things we see.

Once something is out in the public, it is impossible to put that genie back in the bottle.

I agree, my point exactly and herein lies my concern, our private lives are now up for public scrutiny especially if what you say or do offends anyone. Do you want to be chastised for a comment you make in private? Your beliefs? Where does it end?  :mellow:

This isn't a debate on a who's right and who's wrong, it's about censorship and who controls the power to manipulate it.

Some may not have like it when I state NEED MORE SWAG. I wasn't trying to be hurtful or push any buttons but apparently it did. If someone was offended all they had to do was PM me and say "ok, ok we got the point lol". :D

People we need to get some thicker skin and stop taking things so personally. Life is way too short. I love the FISD, the awesome & diverse group of individuals I've met so far. I love mentoring the new recruits, some contact me personally on advise because they're too shy to handle tough criticism. This is not the military or a job, IT IS A HOBBY.

Love ya  :peace:

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 2

I like puppies.

And trooping around in my plastic spaceman outfit.

Maybe we can all take it down a notch and take our internet life a little less seriously?

Please let's get back to the armor building.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I like to read this kind of threads and smile, privately.

-Nothing is private once you tell it to another person. 

-Freedom of speech, as mentioned, is a warranty against the government and the state, not against other people.

-It is interesting how some people tend to think that the USA is the only country in the world, even if such ppl say the contrary.

Not meant to insult anyone, nor I am pointing fingers... just my thoughts on this thread.

Saludos.

• Like 1

I like rainbows.

Can we end this here and now?

It gets out of control.

We are plastic spacemen. Let's talk about plastic spacemen. Let's do it nicely and productive. Let's talk about trooping. Charity. Bad guys doing good. Trooper helping troopers.

That's what I am here for ...

Freedom of speech requires having the sense to know what to say and when to say it. The world will never have true freedom of speech no matter what law or constitution a country has because not everyone thinks before they speak.

If such a thing existed then:

Edward Snowden would not be considered a traitor

Islamic State would be allowed to preach freely

Racism would go unpunished

Sexism would be highly prolific

Human sacrifice,

dogs and cats living together...

mass hysteria! .....

Sorry got away from it there.

The world would simply not work with true freedom of speech due to a fundamental lack of cultural, religious and political cohesion. I ask has anyone on this forum ever said anything they wish they hadn't, would you not take it back if you could.

Freedom of speech requires people to censor themselves in a public forum. Just because you have an opinion does not always mean you should share it, especially if it risks causing offense or upset to the collective. But not everyone is capable of doing this, some people just want to be heard no matter what they think (if you want an example and aren't aware of her, google Katie Hopkins). With freedom comes responsibility to ensure that the world is made a better place for everyone in it. And yes there may be times where for the good of the collective some people may have to be offended or upset. So in reality it all comes down to knowing what needs to be said and when, not what you want to say for the sake of saying it.

By the way this is not targeted at ayone in this thread, just my general thoughts on the subject. It may all just be b*ll*cks anyway, I've had a long day at work and am quite tired.

Referring to the former Clippers' owner, ownership of a professional team in any sport is a privilege. It's an exclusive club. And each league has an image to maintain. When you buy a team, you agree to a certain set of rules and policies. If you undermine the image of the league by your words or actions, you can be removed as an owner as per the purchase agreement of the league.

Hence, it's NOT an issue of freedom of speech....it's a simple contracts issue. Likewise, if Nike signs me an endorsement deal to represent them and I start saying or doing offensive things they can fire me since I represent them. It's all spelled out in our agreement.

Edited by hon143

What if I catch them sniffing each other?  :laugh1:

then we are without hope, expect the four horsemen to pop by on their way to the apocolypse. The only possibility of survival is if they've been drinking first (the animals not the four horsemen)

Edited by Guest

then we are without hope, expect the four horsemen to pop by on their way to the apocolypse. The only possibility of survival is if they've been drinking first (the animals not the four horsemen)

ah hahaha  :laugh1:  :D