Star Wars-fans /TK'ers are freaks?

rikush

Ive yet to have anyone call me anything of the sort, but hey my friends are the same way. Most of the people here seem to think that the stormy is a really cool thing, even ahd a car full of highschool voleyball players stop and ask for a picture and they talked to me seriously about all joining up with the 501st. ^.^

I've lost friends. And don't say real friends don't leave for that sort of thing. I lost one friend that was like a brother. Mostely because his wife was a stupid crunt that didn't know how to have any fun. She thought I was out of my mind for dressing up like a "space man".

I also lost a couple of soldier buds because they didn't like the psuedo military aspect.

i have a realy low self esteem anyway so its hard for them to bring me down anyway. i am 18 and a senior in high school so i try to hide it. i would get made fun of so bad if allot of the people knew about my armor. some of my close friends think the armor is cool but others tell me i am the worst level of dork there is. i say "its the same thing as dressing like santa clause, we do charity for kids". or i like to say if its a waste of money how many thousands of dollars have you spent on video games, shoes, handbags you will never use, and how many children's lives have you changed with that hobby.

i have a realy low self esteem anyway so its hard for them to bring me down anyway. i am 18 and a senior in high school so i try to hide it. i would get made fun of so bad if allot of the people knew about my armor. some of my close friends think the armor is cool but others tell me i am the worst level of dork there is. i say "its the same thing as dressing like santa clause, we do charity for kids". or i like to say if its a waste of money how many thousands of dollars have you spent on video games, shoes, handbags you will never use, and how many children's lives have you changed with that hobby.

Ā 

Don't let them get to you. Face it, most kids are idiots, and too afraid to do anything that'd make them seem different or "dorky." I'd guess that most are just jealous that you have the balls to go do something out of the norm. I know that anyone who puts me down for doing something I love (and something that not only doesn't hurt anyone, but helps many) isn't someone I want to associate with anyway. So I don't let it get to me, and you shouldn't either :)

Ā 

Also, all my geeky pursuits over the years have done me nothing but good. While most people my age I know are milling around doing college courses because they don't know what else to do, I'm about to start a course at Uni that should put me on track for my dream job in the games industry. Awesome :lol:

Well put Liz :) Chin Up Pat, I use to hide this hobby it too, especially after the looks I use to get :o but not anymore if ppl don't like it, tuff! It makes me happy & my freinds n' family all get to have a laugh whilst running round in my Helmets.

Ā 

Yeah im too much of a showboat to hide this sort of thing :P I called everyone on my phone whos number i had and told them wheni had my armor done.

I just met the future mrs. tray nichols tonight and it was my dad who decided to tell her I am into Star Wars and that I have a complete Stormtrooper costume. She didn't look at me funny but who knows, she might have thought I was a geek. Little does she know that when we start to date, she'll be wearing her own costumes soon. ;)

Ā 

Okay, I can't be sure she is the future mrs. tray but damn she was the hottest little thing. HELLZ yeah. Imma gonna work on that. :D

Ā 

I love my geekdom and wear it proudly. Everyone should.

You go....Tray.

Ā 

I see you're making your old Garrison very PROUD... Taking in the Delaware "sights" I see...

Ā 

We're ALL glad that you're "settling in".... We MISS you.

Ā 

Take care!!!

I'm called a geek and/or nerd all the time - and that's just from my wife.

Ā 

I'm not sure the pejorative has as much sting as it used to. If someone wants to insult me they really ought to use some more imagination.

Ā 

I find that people are very enthusiastic about the armour. Of course, some do the obligatory dance of being shocked and above-it-all first. But they are usually the ones who can't wait to get their hands on it.

My GF calls me a nerd too...but she can quote lines from the Original Trilogy and from the Lord of the Rings movies :P . I tried to explain to her that nerds are those people who have the personality types of the characters in Revenge of the Nerds, and that someone who has their own TK armor (soon to be put together) is the epitome of cool B) .

Ā 

Also, as many people on this topic have already mentioned, how can it be uncool/freakish/etc to join an organization where you get to help charities, make people smile (when they get their picture taken with you) AND have fun?? :D

i think i'm one of the lucky ones, never really had anything said to me, my father laughed and said i was insane when the armour arrived, but i know he was joking, mainly as he'd just spent about 5 grand on two antique samurai helmets.

Ā 

most people just want to know what i'm going to do with it, and look a bit shocked when i tell them its going to spend most of its time in the corner of the room gathering dust.

Ā 

they actually think i should wear it, and a lot of people i work with want me to wear it to work so they can see it.

Ā 

i don't think it would bother me if people thought i was a freak, each to there own.

Ā 

the only person who really has a problem with it is my girlfriend, and with her i think its more the money aspect, we're meant to be moving intogether soon and i think she's worried that i'll just spend all my money on star wars instead of rent and bills.

Its funny, people are going to think what they want of you either way so, who cares :pint1: The females still give me dollar bills when I'm stripping in the evenings to supplement my graduate school income :):pint1:

...she's worried that i'll just spend all my money on star wars instead of rent and bills.

Ā 

Ā 

Smart girlfriend....Wise this one is...very much so...

Ā 

Ā 

i disagree, she just doesn't understand. besides the landlord is her father, so i can't very well avoid paying the rent.

• 11 months later...
Every man (and woman) has their hobby. How about golf? Even more expensive, and no charity involved. I do know women with over $10,000 in shoes. And we all have known guys who sink far more than we do in armor on their vintage cars or boats.

Ā 

Or, we could be alcoholics, cheat on our wives, workaholics, etc. All in all for an idiosyncrasy, it's not a bad one.

Ā 

I just found this interesting old thread. Very well said Paul.

As a psychotherapist I often see what folks sink their money into and its often not healthy.

In my professional opinion Star Wars fans and SW costumers may be some of the most well-adjusted people I've ever met! An active imagination is often a sure sign of a sound mind.

I've been doing costuming now for a little over a year. Mind you, my first costume is a custom Mandalorian. I've "trooped" as that character several times and everyone's always responded with a WOW or something like that. And, yes, compared to the TK set, what I've made isn't that expensive, but the kudos I've heard already make me really excited about my next costume.

Ā 

Personally, I don't really care what people think about me. Whether I'm in costume or not, it really doesn't matter. An interesting story on that...I was having a discussion with a former coworker of mine about our hobbies. He's all into cars...buying, selling, modifying...he was even the vice president of the local car club. When he was saying not-so-positive things about my costuming, I simply reminded him that while he spends tons of money on a car he'll have for a few months, I spend tons of money on a costume I'll have for a few years or more. And, you can't take a car into a cancer ward, can you?

Ā 

Plus, I've had some success with making helmets, and it's something I'm still doing now. The first thing out of some people's mouths when I tell them I make helmets is "Star Wars geek stuff, right?" But when I tell them how much helmets sell for, they change their tune quickly.

Ā 

In the end, my philosophy is that this is all about fun - both for us and for the people we entertain. I love it and don't expect to quit for quite some time. :dance:

Ā 

David.

My dorky hobby landed me on TV... as well as brought a ton of kids joy and charitys money.

Ā 

Oh yea, Chicks dig it too.

Ā 

I have a blast shutting down the jokers.

Ā 

I love this job... ;)

Well, being an Infantryman in the Unite States Army and wearing the TK/TX and other Star Wars costumes, it should be mor of a challenge than it is, but when the nay-sayers realize how much the chicks dig it, they change their minds...lol Show up to a USO event and see how much attention you get from kids and adults alike. They all want pics with ya' and then want to get a set of armor for themselves. I think the new armor for the military will closely resemble the HALO or Star Wars armor anyway. take a look online for Future Soldier... In the end, I just have fun, and I was one of teh people standing in line in 1877 to see the opening of Star Wars IV. So, have fun brother, and be proud of what you feel passionate about. :trooper::salute:

In the end, I just have fun, and I was one of teh people standing in line in 1877 to see the opening of Star Wars IV. So, have fun brother, and be proud of what you feel passionate about.

Ā 

Wow, I'm older than I thought if the film came out that long ago! ;)