Vocoder paint....

Hi! Can someone enlighten me on the correct sheen of paint for a vocoder? I have seen both flat and gloss, and want to get it right the first time, as masking it off is will be a pain, (but a labor of love). Thanks! Joseph

But make sure you read allllll the way to the last page, when you then find out the chart is wrong. As gmrhodes says - satin is the way to go.

According to the post it isnt "WRONG" ... :

"there is nothing "really wrong" with the chart. You will look just fine if you follow it, certainly in comparison to not even assembling/wearing your suit properly which is far more noticeable and more common. But research from the last couple of years offer alternatives that are not covered by the chart. "

Joe

Apologies, I stand corrected. Gloss black may not be 'wrong', but the following quotes by our illustrious Deployment Officer would suggest Satin:

"vocoder are between the mic tips should be a satin (matte) black rather than a gloss black."

"gloss black for outlines and details, matte black for the Hovi tips and vocoder"

"Now that the vocoder is dry, you can see the semi-gloss, matte, satin, finish"

"I do like to note that ideal finish for the hovi tips and the vocoder area between them should be a satin/matte finish. Not so uber glossy"

"I do want to mention that the vocoder area in between the mic tips should be painted the same matte black as the mic tips..not glossy."

"For the record, though, the vocoder (area between the mic tips) should be a matte black (in between gloss and flat)"

"Actually, the vocoder should be matte black which is half way between gloss and flat."

"your hovi tips at the same time you paint the vocoder on the helmet face. Both should be matte black. Not gloss"

This is indeed the consensus and the recommended finish. I am not going to go all nazi on someone who uses gloss. Until it becomes a point on the Crl(which it probably won't) I will recommend satin/matte but if someone uses gloss, it is what it is.

• Like 1

I will, Tim! But, it's great to see that there are people like Ian and yourself who are sticklers for detail out there... It's always nice to learn something new!