Flocking? The inside of a helmet?

Many talk about painting the inside of a helmet but has anyone "flocked" one? I just did a dashboard for my rally car and it looks great, cuts down on glare and is a sound deadener too. I have the material left over but curious if it's been done?

Yes, what exactly is flocking? In my world (water treatment) flocking is what a clarifying agent does.

Ā 

I mean, sure I could just google it but I'd rather have this conversation ;)

Edited by Pickles

Flocking is a suede/velvet like material.Ā  Commonly used inside jewelry boxes.

I flocked the inside of a new glove box on a British sports car.

Ā 

The only hesitation I would have is if the flocking adhesive would be compatible with the helmet.

The Suede-Tex flocking I used had some pretty strong glue...

I'd be worried about the glue eating into the helmet.

Beyond that, it would probably make the inside of aĀ helmet really nice!

Edited by usaeatt2
  • Like 2

I used this process on a plastic dashboard that I scuffed/sanded and the sprayed with bulldog adhesion promoter. From there used 3M trim paint, satin black and when I sprayed it I would immediately apply the flock and after a few minutes shake off the extra. Touch up was easy.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Sly11
Edit removed dead link Sly11 2021
  • Like 1

Wow Michael!Ā  NICE WORK.

That's a big piece for flocking!

How did you apply it?

Cardboard pump tube, spray gun or electrostatic?

I'm guessing one of the latter, based on your excellent results!

Ā 

Here's a picture of the 1961 Sunbeam glove box I flocked.

The original glove box was damaged beyond repair and I couldn't find a suitable replacement for this car.

I made the box from scratch using thick card stock from a craft store.

Then I used rivets to assemble it andĀ addedĀ customĀ aluminumĀ trim to dress it up a little.

Since it's a small area, I applied the black flockingĀ using a cardboard pump tube.Ā 

Ā 

o4OqANC.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

I'd test a small area on your helmet.Ā  IfĀ the substrate holds up to the glue, I'd go for it.Ā 

Then you might have yourself an opportunity to start a helmet flocking service or at least post a HOW TO thread for the forum... :)

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore the image by Sly11, 2021

I personally wouldn't recommend it as the inside of the helmet can get quite a bit of moisture build up, sweat, condensation from breathing. In really hot weather sometimes I have to pour my lid out after particularly long sessions. Leaving the inside untouched means it can be cleaned easily, plus it's how the originals were :-)

No matter how you are going to do this,Ā your helmetĀ will definitely look better on the inside.

The only problem is (as James already stated) the moisture inside.

For a display piece flocking will be okay, but if it's your helmet and you are going to wear it and troop with it, I would suggest to stay with black spray paint.

An alternative idea might be to use the plasti-dip/cheesecloth method that I've seen some others use around here. I'm considering using it for my own bucket once I get the ball rolling.

You can see it in action here: ----------

Though you'll have to do a bit of scrolling. From what I understand, this gives the inside a nice black matte finish and a little more density and weight to the bucket. It makes it feel more like a prop and less like a costume piece. I also haven't heard anything about moisture buildup with this method.

Just an alternate suggestion to keep the black inside idea while saving yourself a sweat-bath every time you troop.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I love how I can do a post and get perspectives that I would have overlooked and especially since I am in the cadet stage with a suite ready for approval but not submitted so I can troop. I got an AP bucket and want this one to be done right so I am looking into the various things I can do for my comfort and for trooping. The flocking application was done with a cup just sprinkling it on and shaking the extra off the piece. This is the same material used for water foul decoys. I will add it would be a pain to make sure ALL the extra is removed. Like a good hair cut you still have hair bits you find on your clothes afterward! I think this would be a great idea for lining of the inside of compartments like a sandy backpack though!

My best advice, is to wear your suit a few times and then start making adjustments. When I was building mine, I thought about all of the mods I wanted to make to the inside of my bucket almost daily. Then I wore it for a few hours at local troops.Ā 

I wanted cool gears and electronics for show in case someone wanted to look inside and all of that. Now, after a few years with a TK... I have random foam blocks hot glued in different parts of it to make sure it stays put and so I can actually see out of the eyes. Here in Arizona it's hot so draining your bucket is a real thing. It sounds like the flocking would look cool but shoot you in the foot down the road.Ā 

I ended up painting the inside of my bucket flat black and that is where the mods stopped :)

At the end of the day, it's your helmet. You're gonna need to love it. Regardless of how you mod it, you're still going to get goosebumps when you are suited up and pull it over your head regardless. We all do.

• 2 weeks later...