Please help me ! AP Armor Build

Spycee

Ok, I don't have the armor kit yet ;) , but I want to gather all the other things that I will need while waiting for the kit.

The AP kit will get me :

- Helmet and armor (doh !)

- Gloves

- Blaster holster

The next things to get are :

- Neck seal : bought from Darman : link here

- Boots : Amsterdam on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LZT9E0/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1 (need to paint tehm white though)

- Undersuit Everlast Sport Performance 2 piece suit at Wal-Mart

- Mic tips : bought from keith

- Belt : bought from TKittell

- Blaster : Not sure what to get ...

I'll also need :

- Velcro : industrial white from RONA

- Glue  : E6000 from Canadian Tire

- Snaps : Wal-Mart

- Nylon straps  : Club Tissus

- What else ?

Edited by Spycee

Well, concerning the wetsuit, it is hard to see if there is a color difference on the arm ...

The logo at the hand shouldn't be a problem, because it will be covered by the armor and your gloves.

I have a completely different problem with that suit: how are you going to go to the toilet?

Most if not all the TK's in our Garrison have two piece compression garment for under suits . Things you need to consider.

You can't see very well

You can't move freely

If you can't pee, you are in trouble.

Go a two piece, it is solid advice, I promise you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're completely right about peeing ...  A 2 piece then ! I'll go check sports section at Wal-Mart.

Hmmm ...  Maybe if I used shamwow under my suit I wouldn't have to pee at the toilet  :lol:

TKBoots, Neckseal, Belt, Holster, TD Clips, Gloves and brakets.

All the tools are explained a lot in the getting started dept. 

I would suggest finding a coupon app like Retailmenot  to look if say Michaels is having a sale (usually has 40-50% off) on their items.

First of all, let me confirm... Darman's neck seal is great!

When you strap your armor together, you can make snap plates either out of spare ABS or nylon webbing.  I went the webbing route, and haven't had any problems yet.  It's cheap, so pick up a few yards of 1" webbing.  It's also good for making a garter system to hold up your thighs.  As for snaps, the popular brands are either Dritz or Tandy.  I used both on mine, and found that the Tandy tended to hold a little more secure, but they were harder to install.  Just when you think you have enough snaps.... you'll need about 50 more.  In other words, get A LOT of them.  You also need a few yards of black elastic for the strapping, and a little bit of white elastic for the chest-to-back straps.

Also, you'll need rivets for your thigh ammo pack and belt, as well as a bunch of stuff to finish the bucket:  either stickers or paints for the tears/traps/tube stripes, lenses, either foam or a hard hat liner for the inside, accurate mic tips (the ones included in the kit aren't quite right).  You could also look into the electronics, like a voice amp and fan kit.

Plus, all of the tools mentioned elsewhere!   :jc_doublethumbup:

You can buy the nylon at any fabric store or I look for it on any old backpack or gym bag. It's surprising how much is out there if you look for it. As for the snaps, http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/hardware/snaps/1263-045.aspx there is a link. But you can always look at your fabric store but they will not have the quantity you will need.

I search for the undersuit locally but didn't find any that fit ...  They all have some big vertical lines, or logos ... ?&*($(&*%(&"&

I imagine this shirt will do the job : link here .  I would just have to find a pant that can fit with it.  Does someone have a place online for that ?

What I'll order from TrooperBay (all clickable links) :

- Belt

- Mic tips

- Paint

- Helmet bag

- E6000

- Riveter set

- White velcro

- Magnets

I also have to check for what rivets to buy, it must me mentionned somewhere here.

I think I'll assemble the parts with velcro instead of snaps ...  I saw a "real life" exemple of that and I kind of like it.

I would seriously consider assembling your suit with straps. I promise with Velcro you will have an armor malfunction at some point. I am not saying that I have never had a snap come undone, but it is a rare occasion. Usually, the only place Velcro is seen on the armor is on the calf closures. The belt doesn't count

You can get Centurion accurate rivets from Echo here on the boards. Go to ongoing sales and orders, you will find them there.

Elastic straps with snaps and a Velcro back up is what I did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Steve : I'm not sure what you mean, or maybe I expressed myself wrong (english is not my first language ;) ) ...  What I want to do is assemble the parts with elastic straps, but instead of snaps I would put industrial velcro.

@Andrew : thanks for the rivets, that's what I was searching.

You will find yourself kind of noisy with velcro as well. Plus, when your out there trooping, the last thing you want is to be the one always adjusting your armor. Its usually a guessing game when coming to velcro and having it in the proper position, with snaps, your armor will almost always be in the proper placement. Just ny .02 cents on the matter.

The "guessing game" is a good argument, I didn't think about that ...

For the undersuit I found these :

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00A66874Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AB7AISGELXWKM

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B009C6P8KK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AB7AISGELXWKM

Seems ok for the undersuit.

Here it is ! Found the undersuit at another Walmart (thanks Tolo ! ) :

post-21648-141134724836_thumb.jpg

I look really sexy in it ;-)

I've also been informed by Tolo that the necessary paint is sold locally, so no need to get it from TrooperBay.

I ordered the Amsterdam boots from Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LZT9E0/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1 .  I wasn't able to also order the color spray, doesn't ship to Canada ...  Gotta find it locally !

And my neck seal was shipped today, thanks to Darman  :) 

Woo hoo !

I went to pick up a "b-grade" helmet from Mark (AP) tonight.  Well, b-grade ...  A little, practically invisible mark at the back and *maybe* a little something on the left side, I'm not sure I even see it.  It is a very nice helmet, a lot better than a "b-grade" in my book !  I got it for my son, probably a christmas gift.

Here is a picture of the kit :

post-21648-0-62746300-1411784514_thumb.jpg

I'm VERY excited !  I finished trimming the eyes and the frown.  Do you think I trimmed correctly ? :

post-21648-0-46959900-1411783414_thumb.jpg
post-21648-0-54460700-1411783449_thumb.jpg
post-21648-0-16291100-1411784152_thumb.jpg
post-21648-0-06587000-1411784151_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spycee

I had a lot of help from Mark, he rough-trimmed the main part.  I just finished, making sure its (not sure of the word in english...  polished ?) with the x-acto and sandpaper.  You can see in the first picture what Mark did.

Mark is really a great guy !  When I picked up the helmet, he took almost half an hour to explain to me all the necessary steps required to finish the helmet.

Thanks again Mark  :duim:

OK, I have a question : how should I install the rubber under the helmet ?   Maybe the ears are too long, it seems to overlap with the rubber.  I tried put put the rubber over the ear, doesn't fit right.  But it seems to fit ok when I put it under the ear ...  I searched on the forum, but didn't find any good picture for that.  Maybe I'm too tired  ;)

Here is my helmet :

post-21648-0-70930400-1411795348_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spycee

Well, the ear is supposed to situnder the rubber trim.

It is a close fit, but also helps to fit the ear more snugly to the helmet.

Also it looks like you used the wrong rubber trim ...

It should be the thicker, rounded s-trim, but looks like the trim you normally use for the brow.

Seems also to be too short. It goes along the whole circumference of the helmet opening normally ...

Edited by Bone

It is not too short, I just didn't place it completely around for the picture (it fits perfectly, I tried it). Yeah, it is the same rubber than for the brow, is it OK ? I'll try again to put the rubber over the ears. Thanks !

Well, I'll have to work a bit with the ears ...

Left ear : It seems too low  from the brow.

bBLf5cf.jpg

Right ear : Right under the brow (good), but it does not stick enough to the helmet, some trimming to do ...

NjcWMF2.jpg

AP helmets don't come with a s-trim for the neck opening. In fact they come with two pieces of u-trim, one short for the brow and one longer for the neck. About its placement, as Bone says it goes over the ear.

Good luck with your ears trimming!