Making Hero out of AP

I  started this build and wanted to share.  I have quite a few uncompleted projects, painting the details is stressful for me, I develope a palsy when painting and it drives me crazy. I hope you enjoy and look foreward to any coments.

20140826_172124_zps512d9321.jpg

20140826_172500_zpsf6ae7b9b-1-1.jpg

20140826_172623_zps392a5ace-1-1-1.jpg

20140826_172323_zps04443677-1.jpg

20140826_172205_zps5958a50d.jpg

20140826_171703_zps8c961e8f.jpg 

• 2 weeks later...

And I'm the same way about detail painting.  I have several helmet kits but only 1 completed (the Dan Laws).  And that involved lots of mineral spirits and lint-free tissue to fix my mistakes as I went along.  But it helped figuring out how to erase my mistakes on a top detail application of paint and not have it interfere with dried paint underneath (e.g. the base white or gray trap).

Helmet is looking good.  One of the views of your heroized helmet looks at lot like this screen cap (link from starwarshelmets.com):

ANH_HD_Hero01.jpg

I had the idea of making one  "convertible" helmet that could be a stunt or a hero with a quick switch out of parts and some adjustments.  One of the difficult aspects is that the actual shape of the helmets differ between stunt and hero.  The hero is wider and shorter.  The general impression I get is someone took it out of the thermoformer, quickly assembled it, and then sat on it.  I'd made this animated GIF of helmets in the LFL archives to help visualize the difference between the shapes of a Hero and two Stunts:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B13YyeojRHKeLUxmUFNFY0Z6eWc/edit?usp=sharing

Troopermaster has good photo comparisons of his Stunt and Hero as well as photos from a Hero in the LFL archives:

https://www.facebook.com/trooper.master.37/photos_albums

One trick I use to change the shape of a helmet is to slightly push together or pull apart the faceplate and cap&back at the seam where they meet behind the forehead.  Pulling apart gives a higher brow but also makes the helmet taller.  Pushing together gives a lower brow but also makes the helmet wider, which is more like a hero.  I afix two fuzzy pieces of velcro to the helmet, one on the faceplate and one on the cap&back.  And I put a bracing material (e.g. hardened instamorph) on the back of a sticky piece of velcro which I press onto the other two pieces to maintain the desired separation.  This works better on more flexible materials (e.g. HDPE) but can make subtle changes in more rigid materials (e.g. ABS).

What you have looks really good.  The only other thing I might suggest is trimming a bit more of the undercut on the sides to add to the impression of greater width.  But that would probably mean retrimming the ears, and you've done a great job on those. 

Thanks for the comment's.  Hey David, I will be removing lots of material for the undercut.  The hero helmet is very special and TM is it.  I tried to adjust the brow looking at different helmets. the 11- 12 stripe one in particular.  I am not sure if there was more then one helmet with stripes like this. 

My satin black paint dried up on me, so I order another. Just when I was in the mood to pain

Mr Laws said he would have a hero soon, but I have not seen anything yet.  

Convincing is what I was shooting for.  Thanks for the kind words.  Germain, I have some hero lenses that came from a guy on here and they look great but, difficult to see through.  There made from thick resin like material I think it's called purplex  or something like that..  I would really like to troop this helmet.  Congrat's on your level 3 approval.

Why not ask Troopermaster for a set of bubble lenses?

Although they are rather thick, too, once you have installed them, you will be pleasantly surprised ...

Oh, and by the way: very nice paint job!

Edited by Bone

• 3 weeks later...

Hero ears only have 2 screws. One at the top and one at the bottom. No middle screw. They also have only 3 bumps not 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I wasn't happy with the tube stripes.  There from trooper bay and they are great for the stunt helmets, but not quite right for the hero.  So I did them free hand which took a few attempts.  The spacing and thickness are a bit off in places.

20141110_131339_zpsd249b870.jpg

20141110_131237_zps6e98ae81.jpg

20141110_131558_zps089c7dc2.jpg 

WOW!  VERY NICE.  Quite an inspiration.

I started an AP hero back in July, but got sidetracked by other work.  I'd be happy if I can even come close to the look you've achieved! 

I made bubbles lenses for my AP Hero...  1.5mm thick, almost no distortion.  I'll send a pair if you'd like to try them.

I detailed making the lenses about halfway through my first post:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/27936-first-timer-ap-armor-build-thread/?p=353560

A7F987A0-C296-499A-9B03-D4ED814A99D0_zps

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!  VERY NICE.  Quite an inspiration.

I started an AP hero back in July, but got sidetracked by other work.  I'd be happy if I can even come close to the look you've achieved! 

I made bubbles lenses for my AP Hero...  1.5mm thick, almost no distortion.  I'll send a pair if you'd like to try them.

I detailed making the lenses about halfway through my first post:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/27936-first-timer-ap-armor-build-thread/?p=353560

A7F987A0-C296-499A-9B03-D4ED814A99D0_zps

These lenses are really nice. Very hard to photograph.

Visibility is great and fit great.

20141118_125231_zpsab424921.jpg

20141118_124439_zpsb1fa343f.jpg

20141118_125629_zps92f07a78.jpg

Thanks,  Aaron