Reinforcing the shoulder straps

After recently having to replace a stressed and cracked shoulder strap, I decided to try this little mod.

I started by applying two industrial velcro strips to a rigid sheet of plastic, hook side up. Then I trimmed the plastic right to hte edge of the velcro, so I ended up with a plastic-backed velcro strip.

I7Q9aDh.jpg

I then applied the fuzzy velcro to the chest and back plates (black, to remain invisible if seen)

57T8Oz9.jpg

the rest is self explanatory...hopefully this will give a little extra strength.

0iMJpeA.jpg

VafKvEc.jpg

dBpr4Rs.jpg

iitZRyQ.jpg

Have any of you guys had to do something similar, and if so how did you do it?

I think a lot of us use a cloth strap to support the weight and the white plastic straps are just for looks. I'm pretty sure a fair number of troopers don't even secure the white straps to the back plate.

Correct. In ANH at least it's pretty clear to see that they used this method, e.g. a white fabric strap that does the actual connecting and the plastic part is just glued in front, and dangles in back.

I did kind of the same thing only I applied the velcro directly to the shoulder strap. I did all this before I knew that people were using straps to support the weight. It gives it a little more strength. At least I think it does. Anybody else tried this?

I did kind of the same thing only I applied the velcro directly to the shoulder strap. I did all this before I knew that people were using straps to support the weight. It gives it a little more strength. At least I think it does. Anybody else tried this?

That is what I did.

Ultimately, I think I'm going to make this mod even more sturdy and attach the shoulder bells to them completely, and turn the white straps into strictly cosmetic pieces, just like the orig's. Too much stress on my white straps right now...

The above mod will certainly help me in the short term, but I'd like to completely bypass them for the support function.

You guys ever notice how the orig dudes have little ( i think ) zip ties holding the white straps on? B)

plus you can definitely see the white under-straps.

<a href="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/star...HDTroopers3.png" target="_blank">http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/star...HDTroopers3.png</a>

Lose the velcro at the backs of your ribbed shoulder straps...that will stop any stress on them. The ribbed straps are only decorative and not meant to be structural. Keep them in place with a white elastic loop attached to the back plate or the back edge of the inner strap. The inner shoulder strap is the way to keep the parts together, either elastic or canvas...your choice :)

I sell spare shoulder straps but I always people to do this:-

Glue the fronts.

Leave the backs floating

Attach the chest to the back plate with a black elastic strap that runs under the ABS strap

They never crack then :)

Plus check out the TKs during the Tantive an impolite person whipping. The straps there are free floating too

yep I definitely plan on doing that. I just need to make new connecting straps and attach the shoulder bell snaps to them to completely free up the top straps. In fact I think I'll make new straps like I did above, only in white instead of black, and attach a snap to them.

Currently my shoulder bell snaps are connected to the white ribbed straps...not good!

It's on my list of to-do's :D

I actually just put snaps in my new black connectors today and it seems to be workin just fine. :D

one day I'll change em out to white just like the film...

This is how i currently have my shoulder / front back connected...

i use 2 inch wide canvas stripes attatched with poppers on the inside and a 1 inch elastic strip stitched on holding the shoulder bell and bicep

tWixnjX.jpg

09OiK2I.jpg

This is what it looks like standing up, notice the thin elastic at the back to hold the asthetic plastic strap in place at the back

fdRgkeL.jpg

Sometimes i leave them to free float at the back as this seems to be the most comfy, the ridged straps are purely for cosmetic purposes

XXvyNqI.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...