Helmet question - Hovi Mic Reinforcement?

I've seen reinforcement added inside the helmet for Hovi Mic installation on a few builds.  Is this necessary?  Recommended?  What are the pros/cons?  I'm guessing there are lots of troopers who have installed mic tips with no reinforcement and have never had any trouble.  Just curious because I'm getting close to that stage...

I didnt put any in mine.. and i wish that i did. i never thought about it to be honest. where my mic tips go its really really thin plastic and it crincles every time they are touched.. this kid hit my helmet and i had a heart attack because i thought they went missing. I would think it really depends how thick the plastic is. id recommend it. just to save from the worry. ill probably end up shooting some hot glue in there or something.

NO HOT GLUE!!!!!!! The plastic is so thin in this area hot glue will warp the plastic badly if applied here. If you want to re-enforce the area, a common trick is to lay a piece of cotton t-shirt over the mic tip area on the inside of the helmet and soak it with super glue. This is known as poor man's fiberglass. but it works. Watch for the fumes, though

Haha your welcome! but! Yes not hot glue haha that was off the top of my head. Sorry for the wrong advice on that everyone. The plastic is thin so it would melt it. :/ glad you caught that. Good thing I didn't yet :)

• 1 month later...

I'm a little late but I used a combination of washers and epoxy putty.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/26919-my-first-esb-tk-build-mtk/?p=341267

Thanks, Adam!  As it turns out, not too late at all - I haven't done this yet and I like your solution.  In fact, your entire build side tracked me...I especially like the way you "keyed" the ab and kidney pieces together.  Thanks again!  :)

NO HOT GLUE!!!!!!! The plastic is so thin in this area hot glue will warp the plastic badly if applied here. If you want to re-enforce the area, a common trick is to lay a piece of cotton t-shirt over the mic tip area on the inside of the helmet and soak it with super glue. This is known as poor man's fiberglass. but it works. Watch for the fumes, though

I never did mine but I think I will. When you say super glue, can I assume that CA glue from Hobbytown USA would work using this method?

Super glue and CA are one in the same. The gel version gives you a bit more time to work on before it goes hard.