What made you want to do a TK?

Daetrin

The honest answer is I started off putting together an X-Wing pilot for my company's halloween party. Once it was done, I put it on and asked my wife if I looked like a tough guy and she told me that I will never look tough as long as people can see my baby face. That costume got dropped on e-bay the following Halloween and I made enough to buy a FX kit and all the accessories.

Viva la E-bay.

Now my wife says I look like a tough guy. Whether they admit it or not... chicks dig the bad guys.

I'm in the same boat. Helmets for me are good things :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bah! You're part of an organization that does good deeds for various charities and you have a good time while you're at it. How many of your friend can say that? I'm a pretty horrible person (depending on who you ask), but that doesn't mean I can't attone for some of my less than savory ways by doing stuff for others, right?

yeah, i guess thats true...thanks it makes me feal a little better about myself drinking on an everyday basis.. :)

When I was a kid I always wanted to be trooper, but as I grew older that went away. That was until CIII in Indianapolis. My friend was a huge SW fan, and his friends, turns out were working on Heart of An Empire, the documentary on the 501st. I had never heard of the 501st, but after I saw all the troopers and worked with Jay Thompson promoting the documentary at CIII, I knew I needed to be a TK.

Well I got the armor pieces but never assembled it until after Dragon*Con 2006, working another round of promotion for Heart of an Empire.

It took well over a year, but I got armor, got help from a local TK and now I am TK-2063.

Oh yes, go see Jay's movie, Heart of an Empire when it arrives in Theaters. (heartofanempire.com)

What made me want to be a TK? The first time I saw ANH when I was a little kid and the Stormtroopers came through the door of the Tantive IV. I was hooked.

It was when I was around 8 that I made the decision that someday I was going to wear armor.

It was on my 21st birthday where I sat at my computer nursing a massive hangover and I looked at my bank account. After two years of hard research on armor sources, assembly tips, helmet mods, etc I took the plunge.

And that was in August. I must say best decision I've ever made.

I've been to the SanDiego ComicCon in 2003, and I'm in the 501st photo, waaaaaay up in the back as a Jedi. That costume sits in a closet collecting dust, and the armor stays nice and polished. Been to 2 troops so far, plus Halloween, and I'm looking forward to years more.

And, I can't disagree more with the over 30/under 30 comment. I think it depends largely upon when you got into Star Wars. Also...clones...bah. TK is the way for me.

• 8 months later...

The reason I got into it was simple.... who DOESN'T want to be a TK??????

I figure I had put Stormtrooper Armour on my 'things to build' list around the mid 80's. As my modeling and scratch building skills got better, and the stuff I was building got alot bigger, I started making preparations to start doing drawings around the mid 90's. But at that time there were people making their own armor. After some investigation I couldn't find anywhere to purchase a set... so the idea got shelved for about 10 more years.

There are some logical reasons behind wanting it as well. First is.. I'm not going to pretend I'm Luke Skywalker or Han Solo.. I don't look like either and doing so would be just futile. Being a TK is anonymous, and you have the fun of still being a cool StarWars character. Second is, my ultimate goal was to just have a 1:1 scale prop in the corner of my display room. The bonus is... I can actually wear the stuff!

In search of that ever 'perfect' 1:1 Yoda*, I stumbled across armor up for sale on ebay about 3 months ago. And I jumped in. Saves me the time of building my own thank god!

*(Yoda is a funny guy. I've been looking for a really nice version of him... but never found something I'm satisfied with. During the quest though, I've found 10 other things that I probably never would have acquired if I wasn't looking for the old Jedi Master!)

So, now I'm 1 more item down on the 'things to build' list... 2 major projects on the bench now, 8 more lined up.

Lynch

Well .. like everybody, I just loved the Stormtroopers.

Few years ago, I stumbled on an armor, and thought this thing was going for a couple 1000$ and was impossible to find.

Last Halloween, I had the brillant idea to check whether it was possible to get one of these on the internet .. after a few months of research, I found AP which is 25 minutes from my place. Went to meet the guy at his place, and he had armors, a vader and a sxxt load of replicas .. bought a kit right away, had it 2 weeks later and have been working on it, on the guns and acquiring Sabers since then ..

I never subscribed to the 501st(.ca), I'm sure I miss a lot .. first thing I'm doing when my kit is completed, is go to a Toys r Us to hang out there for the fun .. can't wait to see the kids face from all your cool stories. I wish I had good friends with the same passion AND cash to buy a suit ...

Can't wait for the next Halloween ... oh yeah! can't wait!

I guess it is my turn to chime in;

I have been a Star Wars fan all my life, and I have now been to all four Celebrations. Living in Denver, the first one was easy, and the rest were just essential. I don't remember seeing too many TK's at the first Celebration, but they were all over for C II and C III. I remember thinking how cool that would be, but really had little idea of what it would take to get a set of armor and join up. I should also note there was never anything OTHER than a TK that I wanted to be, so I never even thought about it.

The real "bug" bit me in December last year, when we were planning to take my two boys to see Santa on a Saturday morning. I had received a note from a co-worker letting me know a few of the 501st would be making an appearance at a local game store that same day, so I asked my two boys (who are huge SW fans like their dad), if they wanted to go see some StormTroopers; I mean, who else would you expect to be there???

Here are my boys in their own "Trooper" costumes!!!

100_0522.jpg

The boys were so excited, that they asked if they could wear these outfits to see Santa in, and we said yes, but they had to wear jeans to see Santa first, then could put on the white baseball pants. Anyway, as soon as we get to see Santa, both my boys are like "can we go see the StormTroopers now??" They did not even want to see Santa for 2 minutes. We go to the game store and the boys just about lose their minds, and we get lots of pictures taken. In fact, this was my families Christmas card photo for 2006:

ChristmasPhoto.jpg

I also submitted a write-up describing this encounter, and was a runner up in the 501st encounter contest held at the end of last year. Here is a link, with a very familiar photo on it: 501st 10th Anniversary

Right after this, I decided I was going to become a stormtrooper. If my boys were that excited (or as excited as I was), then there was no reason for me not to become a part of the best group of fans in the universe. So I bought my armor at the end of January; got my TK-ID at the end of February; and the rest, as they say, is history..... I now have the privilege of calling the guys in the picture my Garrison brothers!!!

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, it has been a great read, and it is even more fun to share stories with all my fellow TK's.

:trooper:

I saw Star Wars when it first hit theatres. I was 12. I had no idea what it was about. I saw no prerelease promotions and had read no reviews. My brother has merely told me that it was "a science fiction movie."

I was blown away by the first scene. The onion skin layer of atmosphere on the planet below seemed so real. When the two ships passed overhead I remember thinking "Of course, in the vacuum of space there is no need for smooth-hulled ships!" (Man, am I a geek...)

However, as much as I was captivated by those details, I was fascinated by the Sand and Stormtroopers.

When the M. Falcon was being sucked into the Death Star, the shot of the two (Special Ops) troopers outside caught my imagination. Armour, which seemed so medieval, was now so surprisingly suitable for surviving all the environments of space travel, as well as surviving the arid heat of Tatoonine. This armour is amazing stuff - I must have some!

When Solo and Skywalker were in the control room pulling on armour, having armour seemed like such a kick.

And when Luke went into the cell block to rescue Princess Leia (who AT THE TIME seemed like a love interest) the armour seemed so necessary for getting the girl (even though she played hard to get).

Later (after seeing the movie several more times), I tried to make a suit out of paper mache. Don't try it. It's impossible.

I mentally mothballed for the stormtrooper armour idea for years, but a chance article in the daily paper about the 501st got it going again. I now have armour it's as cool now as it was then.

I think I saw Star Wars on TV when I was 4 or something, just saw a TV commercial about it, then I ran down like a moron screaming to my parents that there was going to be a movie with a golden robot and other cool stuff on TV soon, then I recorded it on tape and watched it over and over again and thought the Stormtroopers were really cool and scary, but I couldnt really see myself as one as I was 4 years old probably.

Some while later, I was a 1000% Star Wars fan and loved everything about it, and some weekends we used to go to these stores where they sold sci-fi stuff and there they had mannequins with Stormtrooper armor on them, and I thought they were really cool and started thinking about wanting to have one, but I was still pretty much a kit and lacked a meter or so in height to wear one.

Many years later, now I'm 19, and since I'm a computer game geek, I sat up playing all the Dark Forces games, and there are lots of those, and all you do is shooting Stormtroopers everywhere all over, so eventually I got Stormtroopers on my mind and started staring at their armor in the games (As they were lying still on the floor as I killed them) And I thought they were just as cool as I thought they were as a kid, but now that I'm 190cm's tall, I knew that I was to tall for one anyway, so I didnt think much about getting one after that, but then, in the fourth game of the series, some taller TK's appeared that was pretty much taller than the game character and had an orange pauldron and a really big gun, so I started wanting one again.

Having been researching around about these guys, I found many photos of taller people in TK armor, and it didnt look bad at all, then I learned that there was this type of armor called FX that was suitable for taller people as the parts were larger.

So at the moment, I've decided to get one, and I bought an AP helmet recently and I'm hoping on getting it soon so that I can start this thing finally.

And thats my boring story.

Dark Side Sith Lord

now that I'm 190cm's tall, I knew that I was to tall for one anyway, so I didnt think much about getting one after that...

Having been researching around about these guys, I found many photos of taller people in TK armor, and it didnt look bad at all, then I learned that there was this type of armor called FX that was suitable for taller people as the parts were larger.

Johnny,

Yes you can be tall and be a Stormtrooper! I am 6'6" (which is almost 2 meters!) and I enjoy wearing the white armor. I too have an FX kit, but, alas, I cannot fit my head into an AP bucket. Don't let anyone tell you that you are "too tall to be a Stormtrooper."

Armor up, stand tall, and stand proud! :salute:

I guess it is my turn to chime in;

I have been a Star Wars fan all my life, and I have now been to all four Celebrations. Living in Denver, the first one was easy, and the rest were just essential. I don't remember seeing too many TK's at the first Celebration, but they were all over for C II and C III. I remember thinking how cool that would be, but really had little idea of what it would take to get a set of armor and join up. I should also note there was never anything OTHER than a TK that I wanted to be, so I never even thought about it.

The real "bug" bit me in December last year, when we were planning to take my two boys to see Santa on a Saturday morning. I had received a note from a co-worker letting me know a few of the 501st would be making an appearance at a local game store that same day, so I asked my two boys (who are huge SW fans like their dad), if they wanted to go see some StormTroopers; I mean, who else would you expect to be there???

Here are my boys in their own "Trooper" costumes!!!

100_0522.jpg

The boys were so excited, that they asked if they could wear these outfits to see Santa in, and we said yes, but they had to wear jeans to see Santa first, then could put on the white baseball pants. Anyway, as soon as we get to see Santa, both my boys are like "can we go see the StormTroopers now??" They did not even want to see Santa for 2 minutes. We go to the game store and the boys just about lose their minds, and we get lots of pictures taken. In fact, this was my families Christmas card photo for 2006:

ChristmasPhoto.jpg

I also submitted a write-up describing this encounter, and was a runner up in the 501st encounter contest held at the end of last year. Here is a link, with a very familiar photo on it: 501st 10th Anniversary

Right after this, I decided I was going to become a stormtrooper. If my boys were that excited (or as excited as I was), then there was no reason for me not to become a part of the best group of fans in the universe. So I bought my armor at the end of January; got my TK-ID at the end of February; and the rest, as they say, is history..... I now have the privilege of calling the guys in the picture my Garrison brothers!!!

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, it has been a great read, and it is even more fun to share stories with all my fellow TK's.

Thants Awesome Scott! I like your shirt too with the Red Imperial Cog where did you get that shirt? :unsure:

Well every one, or almost every one mentioned the tantive IV ..... me to!!!!

But what was the factorr that pushed it for me was the 501st concept of helping out, the charaty work!!!!!

Johnny,

Yes you can be tall and be a Stormtrooper! I am 6'6" (which is almost 2 meters!) and I enjoy wearing the white armor. I too have an FX kit, but, alas, I cannot fit my head into an AP bucket. Don't let anyone tell you that you are "too tall to be a Stormtrooper."

Armor up, stand tall, and stand proud! :salute:

Cool. I hope I can get my head into an AP helmet, but yeah, I will armor up, stand tall and proud B) Thanks man.

TK was my first choice.. I bought my kit in 05, put it together then found out that the helmet did not fit right (too large).

Hurricane Katrina hit and put a damper in everything.

Mardi Gras this past year I saw the squad that I should have been a part of trooping in a parade.

I then had my wife make my Anakin suit..

Now I have 5 suits (4 of which I can use).

Imperial Navy Trooper

Imperial Gunner

Imperial Crewman

Sith Lord

TK (cannot use due to helmet)

I want to tweak the TK and start adding it to my costume rotation.

Thants Awesome Scott! I like your shirt too with the Red Imperial Cog where did you get that shirt? :unsure:

I picked it up at my local comic book shop. They know I am a huge Star Wars fan, so they order stuff like that just to bait me :lol: I will have to check and see if the tag has any info.

I get a few looks with it on, mostly those :huh: looks, but every once in a while someone recognizes it and does the same "cool shirt" point or comment.

Beats someone asking what with the big red flower on your shirt. :6:

I gave TE some stuff for a home theater, free for me, and he forced a suit on me B)

Edit: I know that's not much of a story, but it's kind of like the action of a dry mop; until it gets a little damp it doesn't work. I hadn't much interest in getting a suit despite having known Matt for a couple of years. If he hadn't offered me one, I probably still wouldn't have one. I thought it was cool as hell that he made armor and helmets, just didn't have an urge to own any. Then a con was coming up in the area back in 2002, and the thought of sporting new armor became intriguing. So I bought strapping and the various stuff, got a blaster, picked the holster off my earlier RG outfit and used it, etc. One night of fitting and beer and BOOM!:

metrooperjp3.jpg

Got the gloves the day of the con, met some of the guys there, but learned that hotel security was being a pack of psychos and shut down anyone with guns and most with masks.... :huh:

Well that didn't work out so well, but trooping the day of the Sci-Fi Museum's opening after the rest of the costumes had left was awesome :D Got my pic taken a dozen times before being told we couldn't do that. B)

Can't go back now. :lol:

JJ

I gave TE some stuff for a home theater, free for me, and he forced a suit on me B)

Edit: I know that's not much of a story, but it's kind of like the action of a dry mop; until it gets a little damp it doesn't work. I hadn't much interest in getting a suit despite having known Matt for a couple of years. If he hadn't offered me one, I probably still wouldn't have one. I thought it was cool as hell that he made armor and helmets, just didn't have an urge to own any. Then a con was coming up in the area back in 2002, and the thought of sporting new armor became intriguing. So I bought strapping and the various stuff, got a blaster, picked the holster off my earlier RG outfit and used it, etc. One night of fitting and beer and BOOM!:

metrooperjp3.jpg

Got the gloves the day of the con, met some of the guys there, but learned that hotel security was being a pack of psychos and shut down anyone with guns and most with masks.... :huh:

Well that didn't work out so well, but trooping the day of the Sci-Fi Museum's opening after the rest of the costumes had left was awesome :D Got my pic taken a dozen times before being told we couldn't do that. B)

Can't go back now. :lol:

JJ

that sounds like some pretty good times... i've been kicked out and banned from places before too :D:pint1:

I picked it up at my local comic book shop. They know I am a huge Star Wars fan, so they order stuff like that just to bait me :lol: I will have to check and see if the tag has any info.

I get a few looks with it on, mostly those :huh: looks, but every once in a while someone recognizes it and does the same "cool shirt" point or comment.

Beats someone asking what with the big red flower on your shirt. :6:

thanks man, that would be great! :duim:

With me it was always the Stormies...so cool, mean and gleam. :trooper:

The Stormtroopers have a massive screen impact at the beginning of ANH, and it was that that sent me on the path to the empire.

I didnt get my first complete armour until this year, ( that makes me an instant vet),i then started joining a few forums and was blown away with the number of Stormies in the world...a truly awsume number out there.

I've now got the bug...its such a blast entertaining the SW fans (and their kids) and raising serious amounts for children and servicemen charities.

Clones are very cool, but there isn't enough of them about, and a few don't come close to a troop of 12 or more Stormie's as a spectacle!

Also the Stormie armour is very forgiving to all sorts of body types, whereas Clones make everyone who wears that costume fat looking, unless you are a twig. :huh:

The lady at home loves the Stormie armour and i routinely get perved by women on troops. :D

PS love this emotion :pint1:

aside from being an uber star wars fan, TK's were one of my favorites along with fett, which I plan on doing at some point.

As far as the trooping aspect goes, I love doing TK especially when lots more TK's roster. The more the merrier. I'm just one of a very cool large group. I think that being fet or a vader is different in that at many troops you only need just one. Then you're scramling to roster before the other Vader/Fett does. I have seen favoritism when it comes to these costumes but the TK's seem to be exempt from this. There's always talk of who has the best Vader in the Legion. We're stormtroopers; they can't tell us apart. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

My persona within the Star Wars context -- without getting too far into übergeek territory -- is a Royal Guard. I've been hooked on them since my first viewing of RotJ in '83. And part of the developed story on the Guards is that they periodically rotate into active Stormtrooper combat units to keep their fighting abilities sharp. From this come my Stormtrooper and Officer costumes. ANd, thanks to Galaxies, I'm also creating the Royal Guard flight suit.

Plus, I know there will be trooping events where only Stormtroopers are requested, and I don't want to miss out because I don't have the right costume. And by corollary, it is occasionally nice to disappear into the crowd. Help present the appearance of overwhelming force.

--Jonah