What made you want to do a TK?

Daetrin

I'd been a Star Wars fan all my life, but I was at Animazement 2001 in Durham, NC and for the first time saw someone in a Stormtrooper costume. I thought it was completely awesome and completely beyond me, but I always wanted one! Time went on and I got involved with the RL and 501st, and finally got my armor this year... yay :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been fascinated by the stormies! I too saw the movie as a kid back in 77 so come 78 or so I bought my first fig, a stormie for 77 cents at a local department store. That led to a toy collecting craze that only briefly halted for the love of good women as the teenager turned into a young man. When POTF2 came out, I got back into toy collecting around 96 and met Dave Prowse at a local comic show. Well, marriage and three kids later led me to become a Disney fan and Star Wars and Disney go hand in hand. I've hit the parks(s) for most every SW weekends each May and the kids obviously saw my excitement each year. After watching stormies patrol the rooftops of MGM and seeing the excitement of kids faces watching the 501st, I said thats it, I'm resurrecting the child in me and becoming that TK I always wanted to be as a kid. Oh and the Hard Rock Hurricane down at Universal helped push me over the edge as well!

i've been a fan all of my life...i always thought that Stormtroopers were pretty kick @$$(even though they don't seem to have a long life span)...but i was watching a show on Mtv a few years ago...."Made" i think it was*shrugs*..where a guy who thought he was a jedi wanted his son to share in his love of Star Wars and took him to some con where he met up with some 501st members and got the son suited up...i thought"oh those suits are awesome"...so the search began to get my own det of armor...and the rest is history.

i've been a fan all of my life...i always thought that Stormtroopers were pretty kick @$$(even though they don't seem to have a long life span)...but i was watching a show on Mtv a few years ago...."Made" i think it was*shrugs*..where a guy who thought he was a jedi wanted his son to share in his love of Star Wars and took him to some con where he met up with some 501st members and got the son suited up...i thought"oh those suits are awesome"...so the search began to get my own det of armor...and the rest is history.

Yeah, I saw that one too...the father wore his Jedi garb through the airport, on the plane...I can never see me walking through an airport and boarding a plane in my Armor, but thats just me... :pint1:

I saw ANH for the first time in 1983, and from the moment I saw the stormtroopers enter Tantive IV I was stuck. I have since then always dreamt of having a stormtrooper armor, and I actually didn't know that it was possible until 2003, when a friend introduced me to a replica site and I got mys self my Royal guard outfit. In 2004 the dream came true, and I finally could join the ranks of stormtroopers. :trooper:

I saw that show on MTV as well. I'm suprised I saw it considering I almost never even stop on that channel when looking for something to watch. It was pretty cool how the dad was a little upset that his son prefered to be a stormtrooper over being a Jedi.

Ā 

The best part was at the end of the show. They were walking through an automated door, and the dad did the classic "open door with The Force" wave. Funny thing is, he did it too early and it didn't open; so he did it again really fast. You could tell he was frustrated. :lol:

I love it, and want to be burried in my armor :salute:

Ā 

Dude, you must be reading my mind. I have had that same exact thought... but then I think I should will my armor to my son. He is already 6 feet tall and still growing,..

OK... my story is not much different than you guys...

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Had the exact same experience as TK2011 during the opening scene of ANH, but mine was in 77. Some time later, I saw a full set of TK armor on display and FOR SALE at a Sharper Image store in one of the big malls. I just stopped in my tracks and stared at it for the LONGEST time. But the display model was less than 6 feet tall, so I despaired once again being so tall, figuring that there were no "tall sizes" available. That and the $1000 price tag had me leaving the store just lusting. However, every now and then, I would check back on the Sharper Image web site to see if the price had declined at all (which it never did). Eventually, I gave up. Years later, someone I remotely knew bought a set of armor and sort of blogged his way through the assembly process. So then I knew that there was still possible to get armor, but it still seemed beyond me. After all, once I got it, where would I wear it? Then... one day... something "magic" happened... While trolling eBay again, I found a link to the 501st. Holy crap! There are THOUSANDS of guys who are into this. And there is an actual organization that provides opportunities to not only WEAR the armor, but actually do some good while wearing it. I was absolutely and totally hooked. I made a decision right then and there that I was going to become a trooper. My wife and kids think it is a form of mid-life crisis. LOL I heard one trooper call it "scoff and awe." Initially everyone "scoffs" at the idea: some dumb costume thing. But then they get a look of you transformed into a trooper: that is when the "scoff" turns into "awe." I love it EVERY time someone sees you for the first time. Nothing beats it. (As you all know... B)

GEEZ!! :huh:

Ā 

After reading ALL the posts from all the younglings, I guess I REALLY AM one of the "veterans" in trooping! :blink:

Ā 

I was a twenty year old U.S. Air Force enlisted troop getting ready to go to South Korea when I first saw Star Wars in Sacramento, California... :rolleyes:

Ā 

For many, many years I wanted to wear Stormtrooper armor - I just thought it looked "cool"... B)

Ā 

Then in 2004, I purchased my first set: FX. Now 2 years later (and 2 TE sets) mesa thinks I'll pursue an EPIII clonetrooper helmet... :P

Ā 

T :salute:

Hey Guns!!

Ā 

Ā 

LOL... you are vintage aren't you? I was 10 back then... LOL!! If you want an EPIII clone bucket you HAVE GOT TO check this out!! I just bought one and it's schedule to be in my grubby hands this Friday!! WOO HOO!!

Ā 

Here's the kink in case you haven't seen it yet!

Ā 

http://clonetroopers.net/Forum/index.php?s...c=4117&st=0

Ā 

PS I'll be sending something SWEET your way pretty soon! ;)

Dude, you must be reading my mind. I have had that same exact thought... but then I think I should will my armor to my son. He is already 6 feet tall and still growing,..

You can always get a "DRESS SET" of armor to be burried in and or for special occasions, such as weddings, walking the family pet, and going to the grocery store or what not...FX Armor isn't that expensive for the purpose it would serve :):salute: Can you believe that the bar that I am in right now has wireless? like a home away from home :pint1:

I wasn't born but a year before ESB came out. You guys are old!

Ā 

Well then, I am old enough to be your father...

Ā 

Hmmm... the Legion has a MINIMUM age for admission... I wonder if there is also a mandatory retirement age? Let's hope not...

Ā 

Ā 

You can always get a "DRESS SET" of armor to be burried in and or for special occasions, such as weddings, walking the family pet, and going to the grocery store or what not...FX Armor isn't that expensive for the purpose it would serve :):salute: Can you believe that the bar that I am in right now has wireless? like a home away from home :pint1:

OK, that does it! I GOTTA get me that drinking face icon. That saluting one isn't bad either! Also, Bernard, my complements to ya for thinking about us poor slobs while you are sitting in a bar. Someday, maybe we'll have the chance to join ya!

I think most gravitate to what they see first on the big screen. Seems to me that the majority of TK/TD's are over 30, the majority of clones are under 30. If you want to feel old, hang out at clonetroopers.net for awhile. :)

Ā 

To get the beer drinking icon you can either:

Ā 

1) Click Show All in the clickable smilies area (not visible if you're doing a fast reply)

Ā 

2) Type in

:pint1:

Ā 

I think most gravitate to what they see first on the big screen. Seems to me that the majority of TK/TD's are over 30, the majority of clones are under 30. If you want to feel old, hang out at clonetroopers.net for awhile. :)

Ā 

To get the beer drinking icon you can either:

Ā 

1) Click Show All in the clickable smilies area (not visible if you're doing a fast reply)

Ā 

2) Type in

Ā 

Ā 

Well, then, I guess I am in the right place with my TK armor! (The clone armor still looks cool, but I am already old enough to "stick out" even in the TK group!)

Ā 

AND, thanks for introducing me to the "secret" icons! :pint1:

Hey, I'm under 30 and I'm all about the Original Trilogy! Clones are cool and all, but they're not the same. It falls into 2 groops really: people who grew up on the OT and people who didn't get into SW until the prequels. That explains why my girlfriend likes clones and prefers Jango Fett to Boba Fett (which I'll never understand).

My 20 year old bud here is all about clones... has a RC. when we troop people are always asking what he is, and it drives him crazy,so he has a standard long winded answer about his armor. what the paint means, the game, yadda yadda yadda.

makes me laugh every time when a four year old runs to me first yelling "stormtrooper!" TK's are timeless... Clones are cool, just not iconic yet.

I gotta a couple more years until I'm thirty :)

Ā 

ME!!! I'm wearing the orange hat!

AND YEAH! IM NOT A GOOD ROLE MODEL FOR IMPRESSIONABLE YOUTH! :)

Ā 

IMG_0628.jpg

Ā 

IMG_0313.jpg

Ā 

IMG_0462.jpg

Ā 

IMG_0640.jpg

The honest answer is I started off putting together an X-Wing pilot for my company's halloween party. Once it was done, I put it on and asked my wife if I looked like a tough guy and she told me that I will never look tough as long as people can see my baby face. That costume got dropped on e-bay the following Halloween and I made enough to buy a FX kit and all the accessories.

Ā 

Viva la E-bay.

Ā 

Now my wife says I look like a tough guy. Whether they admit it or not... chicks dig the bad guys.

AND YEAH! IM NOT A GOOD ROLE MODEL FOR IMPRESSIONABLE YOUTH! :)

Ā 

Bah! You're part of an organization that does good deeds for various charities and you have a good time while you're at it. How many of your friend can say that? I'm a pretty horrible person (depending on who you ask), but that doesn't mean I can't attone for some of my less than savory ways by doing stuff for others, right?