TK-6647 Requesting ROTJ EIB Status[RUB] [APPROVED] 5th

Toddo

As far as I can tell, nobody has submitted a Rubies costume for EI status, or held five Expert Infantry Badges, so here goes nothing.  I modified the heck out of a cheap Rubies costume.  The list of modifications includes 

•  
  • Replaced helmet with CFO bucket
  •  
  • Trimmed biceps, forearms (including removal of return edges), thighs, and shins.  The shins were giant not just for my skinny legs, but in proportion to the entire suit.
  •  
  • Drilled out the rivets on both ends of the shoulder bridges.  Trimmed the bridges to a reasonable length and re-attached using Velcro. I then added nylon load-bearing straps under the shoulder bridges.
  •  
  • Trimmed the oversized hand guards to better fit my hands.
  •  
  • Cut out the ab button plate and inverted ROTJ-style.  Painted all of the abdomen buttons with Testor's to match the screen-used pattern.
  •  
  • Drilled-out the rivets connecting the belt to the abdomen.  Trashed the ABS belt strap and replaced it with fire hose.  
  •  
  • Tried to add a pair of Kev's inner drop boxes the existing drop boxes, but they don't fit.  Instead I modified Kev's boxes to work inside the smaller Rubies' drop boxes.
  •  
  • Riveted the new belt assembly and drop boxes to the abdomen plate.
  •  
  • Re-strapped the entire suit ROTJ style.  The existing straps were way too long for anybody really.
  •  
  • Drilled out the rivets connecting the thigh ammo belt as Rubies installs this upside down for some reason.  Reattached with rivets to the correct orientation.
  •  
  • Removed the arm straps from the shoulder bells and added padding for that ROTJ linebacker look.  
  •  
  • Painted the soles of a pair of TK boots white.
  •  
  • Weathered the whole suit with inspiration from sskunky.  Instead of wood stain (and because I'm a scaredy-cat) I used acrylic paints. Now the suit looks like it has spent a little time on Endor.
  •  
  • Replaced the ears on the helmet with a pair from Scootch as the exiting ears had visible screws attaching them.  Scootch also made some bubble lenses for the bucket.
  •  
  • Built a holster with longer straps from one of Darman's kits and attached to the belt.
  •  
  • Replaced the weird undersuit with my usual Under Armour stuff.
  •  

Armor: Rubies

Helmet: CFO with CAP-W bubble lenses and ears

Blaster: Hyperfirm

TK6647

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 165 lbs

Boots: TKBoots

Neck Seal: TK409

Holster: Darman

Gloves: rubber chemical gloves

TD: T/MC

Front

DSC03478_zps83402b33.jpg

Back

DSC03482_zps55d41ec4.jpg

Left

DSC03483_zpsd9c6e3ba.jpg

Right

DSC03480_zps3acf4ecd.jpg

Left Arms Raised

DSC03484_zpsd3a502f3.jpg

Right Arms Raised

DSC03481_zpsd5f862a9.jpg

Shoulder Bridge attached with Veclro at front and back with nylon strap beneath

DSC03506_zpseb94ff19.jpg

Inner Drop Box

DSC03507_zps8aa276a3.jpg

Longer Holster Straps on Right Side

DSC03488_zpsb4677046.jpg

DSC03502_zpsc61df616.jpg

DSC03505_zps12dbbcab.jpg

DSC03504_zps215420b5.jpg

DSC03503_zps8b66914a.jpg

DSC03499_zpsd7b190df.jpg

DSC03495_zps95a2322d.jpg

DSC03494_zpsec4b3f95.jpg

DSC03493_zps1fdba8dd.jpg

DSC03496_zps488ac8c2.jpg

Film Reference

gallery_14191_7_52577.jpg

DSC03491_zps117cdaee.jpg

Thanks for taking a look.

Pretty amazing Todd.  You are right on both counts - no one has ever tried to do what you're doing, and both would be unique events for the Legion & FISD.  Wish you the best!!!

Apologies in regards to the timeframe of this response. Because of the nature of this armor, you can expect that this needed to be looked over with great care and interest. If I could, I would pass this based on your efforts alone, Todd. A well done transformation of a historically frowned upon set of armor. You are so close with this I want to get this this through quickly and with a minimal amount of adjustments this will happen.

CRL Requirements:

The outer edges of your frown are squared off. Please adjust these to look more rounded,

I have reviewed over and over the bucket off shot to see if the 1/4" straps on the inside of your shoulder bells are present. If they are, could you provide a clearer picture and if not, this needs to be updated. 

Photo Requirements:

I just need a shot of the inside of your armor.

Other- Armor Fit / Assembly:

Although EIB will not be affected by these, here are a few suggestions. Your forearms seem to fall a bit over your wrist. I know because of the pre-assembled diameter this is no fault of your own, but perhaps for more comfort you could install straps between the biceps and forearms to raise them slightly.  The weathering on the Hyperfirm blasters has always been extreme to me. I would knock back the weathering on the grip. These were originally gloss black plastic.Gloss black paint has a hard time sticking to the rubber compound but again, this is just a suggestion. And lastly regarding your holster. Although nothing is noted regarding the requirements for the hardware that attaches the belt straps to to the main body, they have always been shown to have a rivet like appearance. I would reverse the Chicago screw so the "screw head" portion faces the rear. 

Thank you for your stellar efforts on this!

Happy New Year Steve, and congratulations on landing the DO job.  I took some more pics to illustrate things better. I already have strapping between the forearm and bicep, but the Rubies armor thickness (it's much thicker than any of my other armor) makes it awkward to size the forearms snugly even with heat applied.  I added some foam on the interior of the forearms in hopes that it helps that issue.  I also rounded-off the frown on the helmet.  Hopefully the new photos show the 1/4 strap on the bells.  Thanks for your feedback.  

Todd

DSC03513_zps165b892b.jpg

DSC03509_zpsa60816ac.jpg

DSC03510_zps0a23ba2a.jpg

DSC03514_zps33ba2fc0.jpg

DSC03511_zps0cf2e731.jpg

DSC03512_zps2b5b5f53.jpg

DSC03515_zps04a45d2e.jpg

DSC03521_zpse30f1c24.jpg

DSC03519_zps60f08e6d.jpg

DSC03527_zpsb5e14dbf.jpg

DSC03525_zps5db400c4.jpg

DSC03516_zpsc56cd110.jpg

Thank you, Todd for following up. Everything meets the criteria for EIB and it has been passed!!! Through you efforts, you have taken a suit that has been frowned upon and made it something that is a pleasure to look at. 

Your hard work had earner you your 5th EIB award. Congratulations!!!!!

You should still consider moving the knee belt to line up with the thigh properly and place the rivets in the top corners.

ROTJ knee belts are the same as any other, except for using pop rivets instead of cap.

Thank-you everyone. Special thanks to Paul for his constant encouragement. This is quite an honor.

• 1 month later...

Wow! didnt think that could be done! Congrats :D

Just out of curiosity. The edges on your armour. Is the raised areas molded into it, or is it attached separately?

But again. Big congratulations on this achivement. And 5 EIB's...impressive... How many Centurion do you have :D

Wow! didnt think that could be done! Congrats :D

Just out of curiosity. The edges on your armour. Is the raised areas molded into it, or is it attached separately?

But again. Big congratulations on this achivement. And 5 EIB's...impressive... How many Centurion do you have :D

The raised edges are built into the Rubies armor. As far as Centurion goes, my understanding is that that can only be awarded once per trooper.

But I assume you can still apply for centurion on other suits.

If I ever get another TK I would get it Centurion approved, even though I already have it on my current suit.

But was just wondering :)