Armor Dilema

So when I separate my kidney and butt plate what tol has ben found best for this? Dremel , or razor (scribe and snap) etc..

Both work, but I used a dremel. Also cut on the inside, that way if the dremel jumps the mark won't be seen.

I cheated as got a vac-formed knee plate, but I think the home made ones are better. You can cannibalize the plastic belt that comes with the FX kit to make both - heck you need to upgrade to canvas anyway ;-)

Already have a canvas belt that's replaced the ABS (picked it up for Elite status) and will nab a second for my AP. ;) I've used bits off the old belt to make mountings for a few snaps that I added to the kit but still have plenty left over for whatever I might need - which looks like creating a new sniper plate. B)

• 1 month later...
Thanks a bundle.

OK same question just a couple months behind you guys. I too was leaning RT, AP and now TM. I think TM being UK and the US$ tanking it will be out of my price range but we will see.

I am leaning towards the AP as I am a bit short to be a stormtrooper at 5'8" and 175lbs. I was almost sold then I read that they reuse parts on the arms and legs, meaning that parts of the arms and legs are the same mold from right to left. Does this make a huge difference and is it really noticable. I was hoping for a pretty accurate snd thought the AP was the one for accuracy vs affordability but this kind of threw me. So what do the actual AP owners think or better yet ones that have had several sets and can compare.

I am so confused. Too many choices. :huh:

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been a fun few days perusing the forums and seeing what everyone else is doing. I msyelf have been an avid fan for years, and finally decided that it was time I lived the dream and joined the imperial ranks. I've been doing a lot of research (I actually read the whole armor history thread... omg)... and I don't know if I'm going to go completely fanatical on accuracy, but I do want a decent set of armor that will fit well, and not spend eons trimming and such.

When it comes down to it, the little kid staring up at me is not going to care if my chest plate is a little off ;).

I think after all is said and done, I'm really beginning to lean towards an RT. I'm 5'11" and about 190 (give or take a few depending on the day), so a little more room wouldn't hurt, and I'm raelly don't want to spend eons trimming everything.

My modling skills are definitely rusty, so I'm a little nervous to say the least, but I really want to do this.

For your size AP or TE2 would fit great (I'm close to your size), but I totally understand about wanting a fully trimmed kit for your first go.

You'll do fine with RT - it's good looking armor and easy to put together. Personally I prefer an AP bucket over RT (for ABS), but that's your call and an RT will still look good.

Congrats on taking the plunge - fun awaits! And as always don't hesitate to ask questions. I think the fact that we get so few regarding RT is testament to how easy it is to assemble.

I had virtually no modeling skills and built AP as my first kit. I had some help via armor parties to get started, always good to call in the experts. Who is it that sings the song, "The first cut is always the deepest"????