Armor Dilema

Ok I'm looking at making my leap this week but still can't decide what set of armor to get....it is between AP or RT..Im 6' 215 not too round. eventually I will be adding a te2 bucket to the collection. I'm not looking to start trouble just need a few opinions on both. I have browsed the forums for about a week now and I'm sure some of you have seen my smart an impolite person comments. I truly feel I can trust the info I get to be willing to drop a grand or so on some white plastic suggested by strangers. Thanks in advance

As someone who is seriously looking at replacing his FX kit with another, I understand your concerns. I'm not too far off your dimensions (6'3", 197), so I was also curious as to the fit of some of the other available armor types. After reading quite a bit on these boards and asking some questions, I've come to the conclusion that the choice is completely up to you. All of the armor I'm aware of can be trimmed and modified to fit a wide variety of body types. For myself, I am interested in AP & TE2, and I had heard that taller/larger persons may have difficulty in wearing them. However, after discussing this issue with a few other members as well as reading a lot of posts in the AP/TE2 forum, that concern has been eliminated. I really can't recommend any one particular type as they all have their advantages/disadvantages, and it also comes down to how much work you feel like putting into the kit and which you think looks good. This is a hobby, after all, and we want to have fun. :)

Ok I'm looking at making my leap this week but still can't decide what set of armor to get....it is between AP or RT..Im 6' 215 not too round. eventually I will be adding a te2 bucket to the collection. I'm not looking to start trouble just need a few opinions on both. I have browsed the forums for about a week now and I'm sure some of you have seen my smart an impolite person comments. I truly feel I can trust the info I get to be willing to drop a grand or so on some white plastic suggested by strangers. Thanks in advance

Between the two, RT is great in that it comes fully trimmed and is easy to put together, and may need less shimming. AP IMHO is a bit better looking esp. the helmet, but at that point it's really a personal aesthetic.

My $.02...

Price truly isn't the issue. they cost the same. like you stated RT comes ready trimmed and my bucket will come assembled via email with RT. I have limited modeling skills. but want an accurate set of armor. I know this will be a lifetime commitment. I'm starting to think I will get the RT and Hone my skills better then go with a set of TE or AP..man it is like a kid in a candy shop....AAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH.. I truly do appreciate all help. I just don't want to purchase these great pieces of art and ruin them...TE..AP..RT

Trimming isn't that hard, you could always contact a plastics supplier and buy a piece of scrap plastic or a full sheet if you have to and spend a few days practicing with a dremel, gluing and sanding. If it were me I'd go with the AP just because it's more accurate armor, and there is less of a wait to get it.

Another idea to get some armor practice would be to get the FX lite kit. Then you would have a set of armor to get in the 501st and experience to jump right in to the AP, and sell the FX when done.

I have limited modeling skills. but want an accurate set of armor. I know this will be a lifetime commitment.

Just wait until you're successful at putting together one set of armor. Soon you'll want another to try out different things with...and then another to convert into a Sandy...then a helmet or two for display... :P

I have AP. I spoke with RT before I bought my armor and he felt his armor might be a bit big on me. I'm 5'7" 160lbs. Original troopers were 5'11", 150lbs, so height wise you are not far off and well weight.....no comment :rolleyes:

I should add that trimming is not hard to do. However, it is VERY time consuming. After you trim then you have to clean up all the edges by sanding. If you are in no hurry then its fine. If you want to get your armor built as fast as possible, then don't buy AP. I had an armor party to get the trimming started and it still took a few weeks to finish up just the trimming.

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. At this point I find myself wanting accuracy over easy.... I know the RT set is nice and the fact that it would come trimmed and the bucket assembled is real nice. I still want accuracy so I think I'm just going to buckle down and get the AP. Just be prepared for a lot of questions of coarse if I can't find the answer on the forums. Thanks...I will get an RT for a TD set in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok I ordered 2 kits 1 FX to cut my teeth on and 1 AP so in the end I will have a Tk and a TD. Plus I have a MR CE Bucket coming and I already had a stunt so I ordered the FX set minus the globe. :P

Wow, Steve, sounds like you went all out. I think it's a good idea to start with FX unless one has a lot of experience with costume/modling. I started with FX and and I'm glad for it because it gave me a lot of practice & experience with plastic armor (although now I wish the $$ had gone towards something like an RT to begin with). Now I think I'm ready to put together my set of AP armor that should be here by Thursday. I may either use the AP as a TD or I may convert my FX/TE2 combo into a TD.

I would convert the FX/ TE2 into a TD because they actually look pretty good with the pauldron and ammo packs on them.

Roger that. I sport an FX/AP and my garrison mate an FX/TE2. FX makes much better TD than TD armor.

I would convert the FX/ TE2 into a TD because they actually look pretty good with the pauldron and ammo packs on them.

Sounds good to me. I was kind of leaning in that direction - the only thing being that I'd have to either modify the FX ab plate or change it out entirely. I could find out from AP if he could sell just an ab plate... Also have to change the sniper plate but I don't think that should be too difficult.

Yeah I said screw it and went all in. I do wish I could find more accurate shoulder bells for my FX. But be prepared for lots of questions If I can't find the answer in the forums.

Most armor makers sell parts. You could always get a set of accurate bells for your FX kit.

Sounds good to me. I was kind of leaning in that direction - the only thing being that I'd have to either modify the FX ab plate or change it out entirely. I could find out from AP if he could sell just an ab plate... Also have to change the sniper plate but I don't think that should be too difficult.

Dude! Cutting into your ab plate is a right of passage for TD's. :) I know I was scared when I cut into mine, but once you realize that you can always order another if you screw up, the fear goes away. Turns out it's actually quite easy to do.

I cheated as got a vac-formed knee plate, but I think the home made ones are better. You can cannibalize the plastic belt that comes with the FX kit to make both - heck you need to upgrade to canvas anyway ;-)

Dude! Cutting into your ab plate is a right of passage for TD's. :) I know I was scared when I cut into mine, but once you realize that you can always order another if you screw up, the fear goes away. Turns out it's actually quite easy to do.

Try the first cut into the faceplate. ;) *chuckle*

--Jonah