HWT Test Drive #1

Today I took my HWT equipment out for a test drive. It was a hot and mostly up-hill troop at the L.A. Zoo, but was totally great. I've been dreaming of, and piecing together the parts for, a HWT for about a year.

For those of you who already do this bad boy, I have some questions.

PACK

The pack wasn't all that bad. I have a DirtyBoy move-along pack which I bought used and had to wash some of the weathering off. I had to McGuyver some straps together last night but I'm pretty sure I'm going for the padded backpack straps option.

Question: Do you wear the pack on top of your shoulder bridges? Or do you somehow get the straps on under them? Two friends with AP armor had their shoulder bridges snap recently, and not from this, so I'm a bit leery of breaking mine. (If I do I will have to go sandy and that is just not good before I can acquire my next set of shiny armor.)

BFG

I am toting a T-21. I used to hate the look of this thing but I rather like it now. It's BIG.

Question: How the hell do you carry this thing? Mostly I used it as a tripod. It's not the weight so much as the bulk - I can barely get my arm around the thing to hold it like a regular rifle-like gun... I tried holding near the bottom and resting it on my pauldron... heavy is only half the issue; comfort is the other half.

SHOULDER AMMO

My ammo pack didn't want to stay up on the shoulder/chest area. Kept sliding down to my hip. 

Question: What's the best way to secure this? Also, how to keep it from going under my shoulder bell?

GENERAL

My pauldron is orange, and practically brand new, and very comfy... anyone want to trade for a white one?

Question: Do you have trouble moving your head around? The pack seems to perhaps limit my head/neck movement, perhaps touching the top bar against the back tube of my lid. Not sure. Can't move my head in any direction. Felt like I was wearing a halo. It was all right for the first hour, then my neck started to cramp.

I have a few details to patch up and tweak before I submit, but boy was it fun!!!

That's all for now :)

I have a bit of trouble looking down due to the pauldron.  I use leather strip with holes on each end to attach the ammo pack to the lower snap on the Pauldron.  BTW, the pauldron should be orange.

The pack, along with the BFG, does tend to add to the cramping issues.  I usually hold it on my left side, gripping the grip as you would a rifle under the butt, then cradle it up my are like a baby.

I put the pack on after the shoulder bells are on. To help support it, I put white velcro on the top of the square of the back plate and the top bar of the back pack.  I used a kids back pack staps and 1" nylon buckle to stap the pack.

I usually troop an hour or so and cut it down to a regular TK.

I use leather strip with holes on each end to attach the ammo pack to the lower snap on the Pauldron.

If you get second, do you think you might be able to snap a photo this?  I'm on the same boat.  We had a Sandy who did the same thing as, but I never got a good look at it.

The waist ammo pouches are a breeze lol.

So, almost just a trip to the mud away from becoming a TD. Right?

;)

Two things that might help...

Soulder pouch, to solve pretty much every single issue with it, just attach it to your pack strap. And I mean, attach it for good. That is the way Sandtroopers were done in '76, so I guess it should work for HWT too.

How to carry the pack, must of us TDs just wear the armor the way it should bem then on top of it carry the pack. Straps going over the whole armor. Of course we dont have shoulder bridges made of plastic, but I am guessing it should be fine. But maybe double check with other HWTs. Ayway, what lots of us use to make it more comfy is a chest strap across the chest and under the chest plate. I can see how hta could be a problem for female troopers, but I guess there must be a way to make it comfortable.

I have trooper for as long as 9 hours straight with a pack, and using padded straps and a chest strap makes it almost easy.

Hope it helps.

:)

Saludos.

If you get second, do you think you might be able to snap a photo this?  I'm on the same boat.  We had a Sandy who did the same thing as, but I never got a good look at it.

The waist ammo pouches are a breeze lol.

Will do. 

For me, I put my pack on before my bells/biceps/forearms..that way I can get the pack set up nice and snug and I also put underneath my padded straps a small piece of black foam for added comfort. I've trooped my pack for 4+ hrs w/o any probs. I have a small nylon loop that I run thru the shoulder pouch then around the shoulder strap that allows the pouch to hang nicely in front of my bell. As far as carrying my T-21, I usually do just like the Sandy in ANH for the scene where their coming down the street before they meet up with Garindan. Hope this was helpful! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've trooped alongside Jedistar in his HWT a number of times, and he always not only looks great, but he seems comfortable.  He also dresses himself much easier than I do  with my TD, so I'll second his advice.

• Like 1

I found that if you can put more padding at the top of your lid it can raise the neckline.

you have to position it more downwards for eyesight

but that's the only solution for those with not quite long neck.

I've trooped alongside Jedistar in his HWT a number of times, and he always not only looks great, but he seems comfortable.  He also dresses himself much easier than I do  with my TD, so I'll second his advice.

Thanks Todd!! ;)

For my sandy I put on all but the arms and shoulder bells. I then put on my pack (I have padded hiking pack straps) they sit on either side of my chest/back plates shoulders so even with bridges it would miss them. Of course I have wide shoulders so this may not always work for others.

I then attach my shoulder bell straps over the pack. I put on the pauldron, then each arm, then the gloves.

My shoulder pouch is secured with a loop of elastic over the top pack frame and then across to the pack strap which keeps the pouch at the right spot/ angle for the move along sandy I am emulating. I would think if you we're not as concerned with the exact placement you could just secure it to the strap itself. When I did this it put the pouch to close to my head and did not match the screen orientation I was going for.

The Lewis gun is best carried like they did it on set cradled in the left arm. See the link its how I carry mine else I'm afraid ill clock some poor kid!

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Question: Do you wear the pack on top of your shoulder bridges?

You don't need to wear shoulder bridges as they are covered by the pauldron. You can't see 'em, so why wear them? If you do wear the left one, the straps go under. Actually I put the straps under the shoulder bell->chest strap.

BFG - I cradle it in my arms like the Orange pauldron dude as they walked onwards in Mos Eisley. Else you can put the butt stock down in front of you and rest your hands on the muzzle. Else, carry it over the pauldron, with the butt forward.

For the shoulder pouch - you can either affix it to the pack strap or else use a little velcro on the chest place to help hold it in to place.

Moving the head - if you have trouble moving your head, then perhaps a little more padding on top of your helmet to lift if up more. Or, use some more velcro to secure the pauldron closer to your chest & back plate. Usually it rides up and many sandy's have some velcro to hold it down.

• 2 weeks later...

Moving the head - if you have trouble moving your head, then perhaps a little more padding on top of your helmet to lift if up more. Or, use some more velcro to secure the pauldron closer to your chest & back plate. Usually it rides up and many sandy's have some velcro to hold it down.

I found this out when I started putting Star foam in my lids... gave me a eyeline downwards and allows me to turn my head better.

short wide neck@!

Question: Do you wear the pack on top of your shoulder bridges?

You don't need to wear shoulder bridges as they are covered by the pauldron. You can't see 'em, so why wear them? If you do wear the left one, the straps go under. Actually I put the straps under the shoulder bell->chest strap.

.Ok, I'm confused. Doesn't the CRL require the bridges?