Aker amp placement?

So I am in the process of obtaining a TK suit of armor. I was just wondering what it the recommended placement of an amp? I have the static burst Aker amp setup from one of the 501st members and am a bit confused where to place the amp. I have read some members place it behind the chest plate, and others have incorporated it into an ammo pouch.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

If you're doing a sandtrooper, an ammo pouch would be ideal, but they are not allowed on TKs. Behind the chest is really about your best bet. :)

The only better place would be if you have a super small head & could fit it in your bucket, but thats pretty unlikely. :D

I find that using the nylon strap and lowering down to the top of the ab reduces feedback. I didn't have much luck with it in the chest. Having it sit at the the top of the ab allows me to reach in and dial the volume more easily than bending my arm to get behind my chest plate. YMMV.

-Eric

I think it depends on the amp. Do you have the 10w or 12w version? The 10w one is smaller (thinner) and may fit better under the chest piece. I've also seen guys with the white version just attach it to their belts. I plan on just using the neck strap an putting it behind me in the larger area of the back part of the chest armor. Once I figure the correct volume setting, I'll just be able to turn it on and forget it.

Is there any problem with volume having it behind the chest plate? I was thinking that it would be muffled being there. I could be wrong seeing that I am new to this.

Nope. The aker is quite loud :)

I just put the lanyard around my neck. it hangs at the bottom of the chest.

I don't turn it up much louder than a real person speaking, so that helps me a lot!

Here's where I put mine and it has been there for over 3 years...no problems!

IMG_0085.thumb.jpg.0e43f18ca8fd2cb86b4216a4bfb3d455.jpg

Of course, the black strapping has since been replaced with white....just sayin'!

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Dang, thats a lot of hardware to have attached to your chest plate. Is that the amp in the upper right hand corner? If so is there a reason to have the speaker facing the chest plate?

Just asking

Dang, that's a lot of hardware to have attached to your chest plate. Is that the amp in the upper right hand corner? If so is there a reason to have the speaker facing the chest plate?

You want the sound to go outward, not into your body.

I just put the lanyard around my neck. it hangs at the bottom of the chest.

+1

Having it in your chest plate facing out does not diminish the awesome effect of a TK with a voice.

-Eric

I have the 12w version mounted to the inside of my chest plate, speaker facing outwards. I haven't had any problems with feedback and it sounds loud and clear. It's a little awkward trying to reach in there and adjust the volume but it's doable.

I will have to try it when I get my parts. I ordered my TK armor this morning from AP. I am like a kid at XMas, can't wait.

BTW, in the mean time, here is a picture of my E11 that I put togeter a few weeks ago.

---------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 4 weeks later...

My shoulder straps make an 'X' in the front of my body, and I slide the Aker belt clip onto one section of it. It slides down until it hits the crossing other shoulder strap and stops. Rests right inside the chest hump in the armor, touching the plastic inside the left pec. Works fine.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

If you're doing a sandtrooper, an ammo pouch would be ideal, but they are not allowed on TKs. Behind the chest is really about your best bet. :)

The only better place would be if you have a super small head & could fit it in your bucket, but thats pretty unlikely. :D

Just doing some audio research since I can never seem to get my Aker loud enough, could you really place this thing into your bucket?  Wouldn't you get feedback?  I thought in reading the instructions that came with the Aker it said the mic and the speaker had to be placed a certain distance away from each other in order to prevent this issue.

Just doing some audio research since I can never seem to get my Aker loud enough, could you really place this thing into your bucket? Wouldn't you get feedback? I thought in reading the instructions that came with the Aker it said the mic and the speaker had to be placed a certain distance away from each other in order to prevent this issue.

I don't think you want a speaker in your bucket, you'll go coucou fast and you will have feedback.

When using the Aker mic, be sure to line up the white line of you microphone on the same side as your mouth. The Aker mic is very uni-directional.

My speaker is velcroed facing front in the lower par of my chest plate. To ajust my volume, i put my bucket on, turn on my fans and talk in my microphone until I get some feedback. When I get some feedback, I just lower it.

People arround me hear me well and I have the tendency to break my Squad friends b@lls with my "loudness" lol

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I don't think you want a speaker in your bucket, you'll go coucou fast and you will have feedback.

When using the Aker mic, be sure to line up the white line of you microphone on the same side as your mouth. The Aker mic is very uni-directional.

My speaker is velcroed facing front in the lower par of my chest plate. To ajust my volume, i put my bucket on, turn on my fans and talk in my microphone until I get some feedback. When I get some feedback, I just lower it.

People arround me hear me well and I have the tendency to break my Squad friends b@lls with my "loudness" lol

Ah, well, ba@ll breaking is what I go for at all times, so I'll give that a try.  I ended up placing my Aker in the lower portion of my chest plate, too, since placing it in the center didn't allow me to easily reach in and make volume adjustments when I get feedback.  I've still been getting feedback issues, but I think maybe my fans have been bumping the mic out of place when I squeeze my bucket on. I just installed new fans and moved them closer to the top (by the visor) so this should hopefully make the mic a little happier.

Ah, well, ba@ll breaking is what I go for at all times, so I'll give that a try. I ended up placing my Aker in the lower portion of my chest plate, too, since placing it in the center didn't allow me to easily reach in and make volume adjustments when I get feedback. I've still been getting feedback issues, but I think maybe my fans have been bumping the mic out of place when I squeeze my bucket on. I just installed new fans and moved them closer to the top (by the visor) so this should hopefully make the mic a little happier.

I have Echo's fan set. Solved all my problems.

Ah, well, ba@ll breaking is what I go for at all times, so I'll give that a try.  I ended up placing my Aker in the lower portion of my chest plate, too, since placing it in the center didn't allow me to easily reach in and make volume adjustments when I get feedback.  I've still been getting feedback issues, but I think maybe my fans have been bumping the mic out of place when I squeeze my bucket on. I just installed new fans and moved them closer to the top (by the visor) so this should hopefully make the mic a little happier.

Are you using a directional mic? I switched to a better mic and all my feedback problems went away. I'm super annoyingly loud. 

I guess I should say that my aker hangs around my neck using the strap that it came with. It ends up sitting sorta almost in my ab plate but not quite. It shifts around way too much for my liking, but I also tend to move (dance) around too much for a lot of people's liking.

-Eric

Are you using a directional mic? I switched to a better mic and all my feedback problems went away. I'm super annoyingly loud.

I guess I should say that my aker hangs around my neck using the strap that it came with. It ends up sitting sorta almost in my ab plate but not quite. It shifts around way too much for my liking, but I also tend to move (dance) around too much for a lot of people's liking.

-Eric

I did switch to a better mic too. That helped alot. Got myself a Shure mic. Paid close to 50$ if I remember, but, it was worth the price.

I did switch to a different mic (an omni-directional) one since the "line up with the white line thing" with the Aker since that was driving me crazy.  But, it is not loud enough, so I want something better.  Thanks for the tips and I'll check out the mics you recommend.  What about the mics that you install directly into your bucket?  This would eliminate the problem of things shifting and moving when you slip your helmet on and off your head?