My NE build

Apprehensively starting my build this week. Has anyone ordered decals for an NE helmet from trooperbay? I talked to them and they weren't 100% sure which decals were the best. I thought about painting everything, but wasn't positive if his masking templates are the right size.

I've been researching like crazy, reading any post I can find (pandatroopers build has been a huge help) and watching the videos on trooperbay. If anyone has any advice specifically for an NE stunt build, feel free to post. I got the kit from tupperwareTK.

Thanks!!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, David! Looking forward to your build.

I say free-hand paint the details. Seriously, it's NOT difficult. Just be patient with yourself and look closely at references.

The only one I am squeamish about is the tube stripes, but I'm sure any mask will fit the NE helmet tubes fine.

Good luck with the build, the start is allways hard, don't be afraid to ask questions but go ahead and make a cut it will put you to ease :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked at countless builds, but I haven't seen any biceps that taper down to a point like this. Is this normal? When i attach the the joining strip down, it may not even be that noticeable. I'd hate to remove it as it will also remove the return edge. Anyone have any advice?

CF416D3E-424D-4C2D-AA7F-1078EFE7F987-107

Thanks, I'll take another look at it. I'm pretty sure that if I were to flip the piece on the left, the taper would not match up with the one on the right. If the fat part is at the top and the thin part is on the bottom we have it lined up correctly.

Try hand painting them for sure. This helmet build (especially pages 2 and 3) shows some great painting techniques:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/22534-ata-anh-stunt-helmetfinally-started/

If you mess up the paint (like we did at least 4 times) you can always fix it per these instructions:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/19815-dry-paint-removal-the-right-way/?hl=%2Bpaint#entry242105  Just make sure to mask off the rest of the helmet before spraying it ;)

I don't think my question was clear.  I am going to be handpainting, but the link I posted showed two different types of templates - one called handpainted - the other called idealized.  Is one prefered over the other for ANH Stunt. 

@piklz36 - great helmet thread. - thanks. 

2 more quick questions.  I hope to get a good chunk done on Sunday.

1.  I haven't seen many builds for the 3 piece helmet.  Does anyone have any pics?  I'd like to see the back piece attached to the dome specifically. 

2.  Do I have to use snaps and elastic on the interior of the torso parts?  Can I possibly use industrial velcro to hold everything together.  My reasoning being that velcro will give me more room for adjustments for fitting.  Plus it will be easier to fix velcro during a troop if necesarry.

Thanks to everyone for the help so far. 

Edited by Uriarte69

2 more quick questions.  I hope to get a good chunk done on Sunday.

1.  I haven't seen many builds for the 3 piece helmet.  Does anyone have any pics?  I'd like to see the back piece attached to the dome specifically. 

2.  Do I have to use snaps and elastic on the interior of the torso parts?  Can I possibly use industrial velcro to hold everything together.  My reasoning being that velcro will give me more room for adjustments for fitting.  Plus it will be easier to fix velcro during a troop if necesarry.

Thanks to everyone for the help so far. 

Don't use Velcro. Use good quality snaps and they won't fail Tandy Line 24 are the best.

Have a look at old FX and AM helmets. They were 3 part designs as well. While the NE helmet is a lot more accurate, the join in the back should still be similar I imagine. Just don't repeat old mistakes. It should be as easy as lining the back with clue along the area designated to be overlapped by the cap and then clamp it down while the glue cures, to complete the two parts into a cap&back like those used on other helmets.