Seperating Cod and Tail

I have my own ideas, but they differ from the more common methods, so I don't know if you're interested in hearing them...

--Jonah

Lol I asked everyone and im always open to new ideas, i closed the gaps on my armor witha ring binder so i think new stuff is cool!

I have my own ideas, but they differ from the more common methods, so I don't know if you're interested in hearing them...

--Jonah

You know, this is an absolute worthless post. Sorry to call you out Jonah, but you do it often. If you have an idea, describe it in detail. Pictures help even more. But being a tease like this contributes to nothing but your post count.

On topic: what I did is what most do - I just used three strips of 3" velcro - one about an inch from each side and one in the middle. At somepoint you can use E6000 to glue the strap on (some use rivets, but alas these leave the rivet heads visible which is not appealing), but I'd start with velcro first at least on one side, which allows you to adjust it up/down until you get it exactly where you want. It took me about three troops to get it where I wanted it, but hey maybe I'm just slower than some :)

Elastic straps with velcro. I did this on my shoulder straps as well. After a few troops, I remove draw a line in pencil where the connection it, remove the strap, remove the velcro, then re-attach using E6000.

Elastic straps with velcro. I did this on my shoulder straps as well. After a few troops, I remove draw a line in pencil where the connection it, remove the strap, remove the velcro, then re-attach using E6000.

That sounds graet, but what is E6000 and where can i get it, not to hijack my own topic but i need to know.

I used 1" and 3" black elastic connected to the halves with snaps.

The 1" elastic strips were on the side and the 3" elastic was in the middle. So I ended up with 3 connections to the cod/ab and butt/back.

You know, this is an absolute worthless post. Sorry to call you out Jonah, but you do it often. If you have an idea, describe it in detail. Pictures help even more. But being a tease like this contributes to nothing but your post count.

And I don't even think about post count... :( Sorry, Paul. I'm not trying to be cryptic. It's just that there are one or two ways most people on here do things, and most of the descriptions are for those. I have a technique that differs significantly from those, and I don't want to confuse anyone who's new to the whole idea of how to keep the pieces in place. So I ask before just tossing it out there.

I almost posted a quick follow-up last night but was too tired to string coherent thoughts together. That recently got me in trouble over on the Biker Scout boards, so I held off until this morning when I could tackle it fresh.

But here goes, with the caveat that this is still in trial-and-error phase. I came up with this to take full advantage of a two-piece bodysuit to make pit stops easier.

•Cut two notches each on the ab and kidney plates, about an inch deep and the width of your chosen strapping material. These should be lined up with where the strapping material will be anchored to the butt and cod pieces.

•Now, then. Once the strapping material is anchored to the butt and cod pieces, there should be about two inches left sticking up. Fold that down toward the outside of the armour one inch, and then again. Put the canvas underbelt in its position over the ab and kidney plates and mark where the notches are. Sew the doubled-over strapping material to the inside of the underbelt. Adjust positioning slightly to allow for the visible gap above the butt plate, but to hide the gap above the cod plate. The folding will compensate for the thickness of the ab and kidney plates.

•Line up the belt with the ab and kidney plates. The folded strapping should fit in the notches cut for it. Use snaps or velcro to fasten the belt to the torso armour. Connect the butt and cod pieces through the crotch as laid out in many other threads. :)

This way, one puts on the cod/butt/belt assemply as one pulls on a pair of shorts, more or less. When Nature calls, one undoes the belt, detaches it from the torso armour, pulls down the cod and butt plates, hitches up the torso armour to find the waistband of one's bodysuit leggings, pulls them down, and sees to business.

You'll still have to be a little careful, but at least you don't have to completely unarmour if you have to go Number Two during a troop. :)

Oh, and I didn't mention thighs in there because I plan to have them attach directly to the bodysuit.

--Jonah

I used two elastic straps folded over to form V. I then added snap buttons at the bottom of the V and at the top of each leg. On the inside of the armor I used small ABS pieces to attach the other side of the snaps. I hot glued this to the inside. so that when the kidney plate is attached to the tail the V is upsidedown. That way the tail is attached at two points to a single point on the kidney plate. I will post pics when I get back home and have access to my photos.

I used two elastic straps folded over to form V. I then added snap buttons at the bottom of the V and at the top of each leg. On the inside of the armor I used small ABS pieces to attach the other side of the snaps. I hot glued this to the inside. so that when the kidney plate is attached to the tail the V is upsidedown. That way the tail is attached at two points to a single point on the kidney plate. I will post pics when I get back home and have access to my photos.

I cant wait to see them. I imagine this methos gives you alot of right to left freedom of movement for the tail?

Sorry it took so long, here is a picture. It does give mobility but with the shape of my armor, I'm considering going to a something else, because the front edges poke out sometimes after several hours trooping. I was thinking of using spandex bike shorts that would go as a long strip all the way across with buttons to attach it. It should still give me lots of mobility, but more stability on those front edges. anyways here is what I have, you can see what I mean.

post-1119-1205273527_thumb.jpg

I'm interested in cutting the ab from the cod piece for the pit stop factor, especially being of the female gender. Excuse my tool ignorance, but (1) how do you get a nice straight line for cutting and (2) what tool do you use to cut? I have FX armor. Tools in my inventory include a dremel and a rotozip.

FYI, I found using a cuticle nipper is great for trimming down corners of the armor for a better fit to keep the armor from digging into me. I use the nipper and sandpaper.

For my fxi just ground the line on the backplate and flexed it a bit and its anpped off nice and clean with a bit of cleanup. I dont know where exactly you'd cut the cod in the front but i would uspect you could do it in a simmilar manner.

I cut my cod as i was building my suit up and it is a great help for sitting down, however i wish i had cut it higher up. I may look at getting another ab plate to do this at some point.

FXBuild001.jpg

i wish i had some pics but i dont so ill do my best to explain!

ON FX ARMOR

i see everyone cut the cod like the above pics. the biggest issue with the ab/cod IMO with FX armor is that the belt waistline is waaaaaaay too low. which results in the the belt being wrapped around your hip and not at your waist like the ANH suits. also makes the costumes torso area look long and out of proportion. notice in the movies the belt is high waisted...it was the 70's B)

ive started cutting the cod off 1" where the belt butts against the button box and the putting about as 2-2 1/2' gap to the cod. THE GAP BETWEEN THE TWO PIECES IS KEY! IF YOU BUTT THEM TOO CLOSE YOU DEFEAT THE PURPOSE OF CUTTING IT LIKE THIS! when you cut the cod like this you notice at the top of the cod you will nee to angle the flat pice at the top to match the more bikini like cod of the movies. also you have to move the AB plate UP. it does two things :it gets the belt off of your hip and onto your waist which allows *tada* more flexibilty and it also looks more screen accurate. for shorter troopers you might have to trim the TOP of your abplate if its sticking up to high underneath you chest.

edit: trying to explain via photoshop! ;)

FXBuild009.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yup! Missingmyplane's advice is comfortable and stylish. I've got it on my armor. 2 x 2" by 5ish inch strips of heavy duty elastic with a ton of plastic weld hold it together. Adds a bit of length and a whole lot of flexibility. Ahh yes.. and the potty issue.

IMAGE_00061.jpg

Belt sits something like this:

IMAGE_00062.jpg

The way i had cut my cod was bugging me too and i didnt like the look so i bought another ab plate and redid it to give my armour a more accurate movie look. I cut my 2nd cod higher and also added 2 inches in between to get my belt to waist height not round my hips.

I think it makes a vast improvement to the look of fx armour, and certainly for taller troopers is a mod mod to do.

CopyofANHStuntFX_TE2008.jpg

FXTKESB058.jpg

FXTKESB057.jpg