My first assignment....Christmas parade

My first experience as an official 501st member was the Madison, MS Christmas Parade. It was a great experience! The parade route was 2 miles. The temp was in the upper 50's to start and ended in the 60's and sunny, so the temp and weather were perfect. It was great to see the reception when we passed by. Lots of pictures and video taken. Say what you will, but people still love Star Wars and seeing those characters live and in person dressed in accurate costumes. The kids loved giving the hand slaps and high fives. Lots of kids wanted their pictures taken with us, and I even had two adults (one was hot ;) ) want their pictures taken with me as well as some teenagers. It was a great experience and I can't wait for the next one. One of my fellow troopers let me borrow his Hyperfirm E-11 (he was going AT-AT driver) so I didn't have to use my crappy Hasbro. Anyway, here are some pics.

I'm all the way to the right.

21753503918746299572211.jpg

Me getting mugged by a bunch of kids toward the end of the parade (background, right side)

66032503918599632920123.jpg

69470503918786299568844.jpg

74224503918632966250199.jpg

I'm behind the TIE pilot.

74703503918689632911150.jpg

76445503918652966248141.jpg

14826150391871629957513.jpg

One of our guys with his son.

18988650391857296625615.jpg

Me in the background to the right getting ready to greet my adoring fans. :)

42490850391867629957914.jpg

46773950391849296626446.jpg

Me giving high fives.

55880850391853963292659.jpg

Our Vader got caught in traffic and missed the parade. People were asking "Where's Vader?" and we would say, "He got caught in traffic". They would laugh and we were saying, "No...really. He got caught in traffic." :D

Congrats. First troop is a unique experience isn't it?

Very much! It just blows my mind. I grew up with Star Wars, but to see the reaction of all these kids going crazy over the characters that were from my generation was an interesting and cool experience. The parents still acted like kids as well when we showed up. Lots of compliments on our costumes. Even after the parade when we were waiting for our ride back, we had several people (kids and adults) who asked if we could put our lids back on for some more pictures. They were very appreciative. Very cool!

Did I read that right?

Your first troop was a 2 mile parade?

This shows that you must have built and trimmed and strapped your Armour well!

Well done and thanks for sharing your troop pics.

Yep. I Google Mapped the parade route and it was 2 miles. There are a few minor adjustments I'll have to make, but overall I was rather comfortable. There has got to be a better way to get GOOD circulation in the helmet other than a few squirrel fans. I used my iComm and Akers voice amp with PTT. It worked pretty good for the most part. My mic kept twisting to where it wasn't pointed right at my mouth and the only way to adjust it was with my mouth, tongue, and teeth.

Some UKG troopers tape the mic to their face to keep it in position.

I've tried that but I prefer a black silk balaclava for two reasons.

1. It takes your heat and sweat away

2. It helps keep your mic in position.

I remember the days when the mic would start wandering away and trying to reposition it as you described. ;)

Some UKG troopers tape the mic to their face to keep it in position.

I've tried that but I prefer a black silk balaclava for two reasons.

1. It takes your heat and sweat away

2. It helps keep your mic in position.

I remember the days when the mic would start wandering away and trying to reposition it as you described. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion. I never wore one before, but it seems like it would be hot. Does it really draw the heat away? And is the mic comfortable against your face like that?

Thanks for the suggestion. I never wore one before, but it seems like it would be hot. Does it really draw the heat away? And is the mic comfortable against your face like that?

i wear one in my vader & it works wonders

Yeah, it was fun! I'm glad your armor made it through the parade, being your first troop. Because I had problems. My right thigh kept coming undone in the back. I had to get a handler to fix it for me about four times!! I dunno what happened! Never had that problem before and I've been trooping since 2006!

But it was still fun. Look forward to trooping with you again.

The End of the World party in Batesville MS on Friday Dec 21st.. I'm not really sure where Clinton is but Batesville is about 50 miles south of Memphis TN. I live in Cleveland which is about halfway between Jackson and Memphis. If you could get to Cleveland you would be welcome to ride with me to Batesville. PM me over on the Rancor boards if interested.