Bad experience with flexible hand guards

Flexible hand guards are widely available nowadays, from different vendors, made of various materials, some more accurate than others.

Does anyone had some bad experience with hand guards, like ripping, discoloration, glue comming off, funky smells (like CA boots) etc, etc.

If so please share! Maybe there's a way to improve this!

And if you had FUN experiences, please share too!

Note: Paint comming of painted latex hand guards is NOT a fault, it is WANTED.

Two years of trooping and this is all I have to show for on the white rubber version. This is not even a fault with the hand guards themselves, this is caused by me gluing too close to the edge. Had I glued a millimetre further in like on the second glove it wouldn't have happened.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I guess only a few knew back then; I didn't know myself for sure :)

But look what this young green beginner became today! He's the deployment officer!

A few years ago, a put a pair of unpainted katex guards on a main road for 15 mins. They just got REAL dirty, nothing else.

Anyway, I'd like to know and some damages. Maybe this helps to prevent any damages.

I admit they are not indestructable!

Took me three glues to find the right one. the Loctite style superglue was the magic for me. "Super Glue" brand and Gorilla Glue were both completely useless. Once the Loctite brand was used, it was almost instand bond. Being a "green" trooper, here's hoping I left enough edge... time will tell.

Edit: I have Karin's white rubber hand guards.

Edited by chookaboom

I used black silastic, thought it would be good to use something the same colour as the gloves and is still quite strong but flexible, have had them on a few times and it doesn't look like they are going to come apart :D . Might just add that I scuffed the gloves and guards with some 80 grit sandpaper to give the silastic something extra to grip too.

• 3 weeks later...

That's why the front edges weren't glued on the originals. Like a pressure relieve valve ;)

may I ask where this information can be shown?

I see photos showing fronts glued down quite well... and some with them coming apart in different places?

thanks in advance for any proof you can show for this concept?

that's only one hand in one photo.

and it's not really a proof type of photo?

is it a screenshot? or a prop replica?

do I really have to show photos of han entering the door shooting to show a fully glued down handplate?

that's only one hand in one photo.

So?

and it's not really a proof type of photo?

Why not?

is it a screenshot? or a prop replica?

Screenshot, courtesy of TM. Why would I use a pic of a replica?!'?

do I really have to show photos of han entering the door shooting to show a fully glued down handplate?

Yes, please. Absolutely!

so from one photo, you assume that every single handplate is done only that way?

do you intend to have the CRL modified to mandate that the front not be glued down?

we don't replicate costume flubs,,,

it's clear that handplates are wonky all across the film. you've seen the han solo photo a million times, and the front is completely

glued down on handplate type 2

As long as there aren'nt any other pics,yes, that how we do research around here.

So far, there is not mentioning at all in the CRL about how it should be glued.

Yes, on the type 2 (hero, alternative, etc) it glued all the way. But it's a different style.

But that's not the topic, isn't it? ;)

BTW: Han wore bothy styles at the same time

Just about all the hand plates were not glued down fully whether they were meant to or not. If you look at any trooper in ANH you will notice the hand plates are not fully glued down and remain quite flat when worn on the gloves which is something that would not happen if they glued fully to the glove.

swnh_3640.thumb.jpg.ca557e5ddfbfd9174c33d2bdfdcbf2dd.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

I agree with you Paul. The glue didn't hold very well so they had to be reglued often.

What I want to convey is how they intended to glue them originally.

Since we already derailed from the original topic, please continue the discussion here

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/21816-how-should-flexible-hand-guards-be-glued-correctly/

I would consider glue coming apart as a part of the original question under the heading of "bad experience"

not much of a derail on the topic IMHO.

I personally consider handplates coming off the gloves to be a "costume flub" not somthing we'd want to replicate

in a 501st situation.

much like chipping paint, which I also don't consider a costume feature that I'd personally want on my costume,

I guess it's much like having makeup smeared on your chestplate, it's a judgement call really.