RS Props helmet compared to SDS Battle Spec

I just received my new RS Props ABS stunt helmet, purchased from a member on this board, today, so I thought I'd do a little photo sharing with you. I've owned the SDS Battle Spec helmet and armor since before LFL took 'em to court and stopped them shipping to the US. It's been about five years that I've had the armor and it was time to upgrade the helmet to the top of the line ANH helmet available today.

Here's the RS on the SDS armor (disregard the shoulder strap which came loose today):

GTQ2c7K.jpg

Battle Spec in the background:

83H0APo.jpg

Side view (disregard the green frog potty in the background):

YCdyEUP.jpg

Chin to chin with the wildly innacurate SDS battle spec:

TDme7iu.jpg

The other side of the SDS compared with the RS:

7bLLgF5.jpg

And now, just for fun, the RS up next to my old Don Post Classic Action:

RQZmzCQ.jpg

And finally, next to my 1983 Don Post helmet given to me on my 13th birthday. I've come a long way, baby!:

49wnXIr.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

Like most people I totally bought into AA's stories when SDS first hit the scene and I remember when I first saw the Battlespec and indeed bought one, I thought it was the most amazing thing, actually cast from an original helmet, made by the original maker wow I was in heaven! Now when you look at the pic's it is hard to figure out why I was taken in by all of the lies and didn't see it back then.

The SDS looks really wierd now and the add on ear caps and vocoder are just odd.

Seeing the RS next to it just shows how far away from the truth AA's stories are.

Great comparrison shots.

For obvious reasons the face plate looks very close. Seeing the back and cap on the SDS next to an RS just confirms what we already knew, i.e. it's a mis-match, too small for the face plate, probably because it's recast from something a little on the small side.

SDS Battle Spec helmet????? :huh:

My SDS Battle Spec helmet

----------

SDS Battle Spec recast TE

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Like most people I totally bought into AA's stories when SDS first hit the scene and I remember when I first saw the Battlespec and indeed bought one,

You kept that quiet. ;)

You know your goona get grief for that next sunday. :P

Brilliant comparison shots. Ok to nick them for future use and help spread the truth?

Carbonitekid, sure, use 'em at will. I can post others if you want more comparisons from different sides, etc.

I was very surprised to see how different the SDS looked next to the RS, especially from the side. From the front, they look similar enough and the SDS doesn't look bad.

When I bought the armor and helmet from SDS years ago, I thought it was the best thing I'd ever seen. I love the armor, and have had fun trooping in it, but the RS helmet is the 'real deal' and will be replacing the Battle Spec. I still love the armor, dubious origins notwithstanding. At that time, all that we all knew was that AA had vac formed the originals for ANH and that they were available to purchase, so I did. I think that the only thing else readily available was FX at that time.

When did ATA, TM, AP and the others start to be offered on a scale that would make them more readily available? I actually contacted GF back in the 90's via mail(!) before the real advent of the internet, about 1995 or so, and he sent me a series of actual photographs showing his armor. Man, was that the dark ages of stormtrooper armor. Thank God for RS and CFO, huh? It's a good time to be a trooper, as long as your pocket book will allow it.

Faie, is that really an SDS Battle Spec? If so, AA has done some tinkering since he made mine. Yours looks a lot better.

Yes, my helmet and armor are 2010, but is a bit different from the rest of SDS, it is rare ..... :huh:

I have improved some details of the armor.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

• 1 year later...

Wow. Looks like I won't be getting a battle spec now. Thanks for keeping me from wasting my cash!

Getting a battle spec helmet would be a waste of cash. Also keep in mind that SDS can't sell to the US because unpaid damages from said lawsuit when he was sued by LFL.

• 2 weeks later...