Large Head, What Helmet?

Hi ,

I decided and have been in contact with Rob of Rt-Mod, that his armor seems like a great fit, at 6 foot 3 and 210 pounds I think it's one of the few that would work. My question though is of helmet size, he says it fits up to 24" and I have measured my head and I come in at a Conan O Brien-esque 24.5".... Is this going to be a major issue, can I take padding out to make it a bit bigger? Or will i have to find a bigger helmet, and mix and match helmet and armor??? Just wondering if there are any other larger headed troopers out there to give me a second opinion before I put the order through for my first set of armor....

I haven't measured my overall circumfrance in a while, but I wear a size 8 ball cap. My EFX helmet is a little too snug. My TE2 helmet was tight with 2" padding, so I used 1" and 1/2" and it fits fine now.

Thanks for the help all, good to know that it shouldn't be an issue!!

I have an 8 hat size also Lazerbrain, I probably will just have to fiddle with the padding a bit.

I can finnally get this thing ordered!!

If you have a large head, you will not be able to fit into any helmet! I cannot get my head into an AP helmet, I tried my friends on and couldn't get it past my nose. I wore a Master Replica Collectors Edition, the current incarnation is being made by EFX. It was plenty roomy and could add fans in it as well. I upgraded to an MTK and had Mike build it for me, I gave him the exact measurements on the opening on my MRCE and he cut it to the same size which enabled me to get my head in, but it is definitely smaller over all. I have put my fans in it and it is definitely snugger and a bit of a challenge to get on and off with the fans in it.

Edited by bluehickey

Hmmm. Now I'm in doubt again..... I already put through the order,, I think maybe I will just hope for the best as the rt helmets are supposed to be about 5% bigger from what I understand. I will just hollow out the padding and try that, at worst I just sell it and find one that will work. Anyone out there with an RT dome that would happen to have an idea of what extra space can be gained with padding removal?

Ha! Malarky my girlfriend just threw the dark helmet idea at me yesterday. And sadly this may be the only way I could troop!! There isn't a 501st for space balls is there?

Aaron,

See this thread for a post of mine.

I can measure the thickness of the padding Rob puts in if you like, but really you can put any sort of padding you want. His helmets are scaled up a bit in size to be in proportion to the RT-MOD suit not scaled up for a larger head.

After having personally fondling an both an AP and TE2 in comparison to my RT-MOD, I firmly believe that any helmet will fit a big giant melon with modifications.

Aloha,

-Eric

On 1/8/2012 at 3:39 AM, Darth Aloha said:

ZacMuleer recently asked me how big the opening was in my RT bucket. It sounds like he has a buddy with a giant squash.

I contend that any helmet can be trimmed to have a wider opening. Really its not as if you put your helmet on directly over your head. In addition to twisting it you can tilt it to one side to increase the size of the opening if your head is slightly wider than the narrowest point. This could be a problem if you had an Andre the Giant sized cranium.

Either way.... Rob trimmed this helmet with an opening 9.5" x 7.5" Even on this pre-trimmed pre-assembled helmet, that 7.5" measurement could easily grow with the application of some lexan scissors.

-------------

I hope this helps.

Aloha,

-Eric

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I was hoping maybe you would chime in Darth Aloha, thanks for the second opinion and putting me at ease. I was following your RT build thread ( looks fantastic btw ), there is a lot there and will be of great help once my armour arrives ....half a day down and the wait is killing me....I may be soliciting you for some advice once I start my build as I too will be modding some things for more accuracy.... If that is alright with you of course :) .

regards and aloha,

Aaron

Hey Aaron, I too have a huge head and the RT was tight on me so I removed the padding and went with just a small piece of foam in the top of my bucket. I still have too turn my lid sideways to get it on and off but without all the extra padding I have plenty of room for electronics.

Heh, my TM helmet has an opening of 7.5" x 10"

So I strongly believe that anyone can fit any helmet. It just comes down to trimming and assembly (and not putting tons of junk inside it).