Buckets & Glasses

Hi guys/girls

I currently have an AM kit and bucket and have been starting to consider getting a new bucket. The thing is that I got the AM because it is larger than the other buckets (I know, I know) but that means that I can wear my glasses underneath it which is important for me as I am quite short sighted and really don't want to add that into the already limited vision of a TK :)

So my question is, are there any other troopers out there wearing glasses underneath their buckets and if so what type of bucket?

I have considered contacts but they don't work for everybody and that's yet another expense and I'd rather spend my money on other things.

Cheers.

Edited by Kade

I used to just wear contacts when I trooped. Now that I got Lasik I don't have to worry about it.

There is a member of my garrison and a good friend of mine that pulled out some lenses out of an old pair of glasses and mounted them to the lenses in the helmet. You could try that out.

The inside size of the helmet comes down mostly to assembly. Of course there will be a limit to how large you glasses can be as well. If you don't want to use contacts you may want to consider getting a slim pair of glasses if you do't have a pair already.

I for one have not regretted switching to contacts. It was the most liberating feeling ever to be able to see equally good in all corners of my eyes, not just where I had my head pointed at.

I prefer to wear my contacts but I also have problems wearing them sometimes, so some days I do end up with my glasses inside my AP bucket. It is tricky getting them to stay put when I put them on - the balaclava over the ears helps a bit. I built my padding to allow my head to be back in the helmet a bit more, so that there's room.

Trooping has pushed me over my barrier to lasik, though... :)

I wear my glasses under my bucket, but it's a pretty tight fit. I think it depends a little bit on the type of padding you have inside. I use . . . old socks. I know, it's weird. But it was cheap. However, it has a lot of give, so it makes it so I can wear my glasses. So part of it comes down to assembly, part is what size and shape your glasses are, part is how big your head is, and the last part is luck. For me, it was mostly luck. Even so, I have to be pretty tricky when I put the bucket on and take it off. If I don't do it a certain way, then it pulls my glasses off.

Best of luck!

Thanks for all the feedback people :) I dropped in to my optician today to see if it was even feasible for me to wear contacts and they are getting some trial ones in for me to try out and see if they are gonna work for me. Otherwise I will have to wait until the end of June for Supanova (our big comic/sci-fi/anime etc convention) to catch up with the rest of my squad and try out some different helmets.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I would worry more about sweating on the lenses and not being able to wipe them. Has anyone tried a mounting bracket behind the green lens for a pair of 'cheap' glasses (removing the arms) so that they are 'always' there?