Mopar McNeer's ANH Hero Build Log [*RT]

FEB 21st, 2012

Well, I've been on FISD for a few weeks now, literally reading and researching and asking questions like crazy. I thought I had better start my build log. I plan on doing things a bit different maybe than most. I'm going to do the usual pictures and progress, but I thought I might add in some info about the costs I'm incurring along the way in the following categories: Helmet/Armor (helmet & armor kit, boots, undersuit, etc), Weapons (blaster, etc), Enhancements (upgraded bits and stuff not in the basic kits), Tools (hobby iron, exacto, etc) and Materials (paint, glue, etc). On top of the costs, I'm going to add additional info such as vendor, part #'s, links, etc too - and I'll keep a running dollar total.

I've decide to build an ANH Hero costume. My goal is to get EIB approved and then Centurion approved. At this point, I've been buying stuff for a few days now, but have not yet picked up an armor kit. But I have spent a lot of time researching kits, fitment, and screen accuracy so that I'll (hopefully) make the best decision (with all of your assistance of course).

I'm 6' 0" and currently weigh about 215 (but have ranged from 200-220 within the last year). I initially looked into the AM kits because I had heard that they were good for larger framed guys. But in short order I found that the AM kit really wasn't that great and would need a ton of work to meet my goals. The second kit I looked at was the ATA kit, but after researching found that it might be a bit too small for me and would need shimming. I'm currently strongly considering the RT-Mod kit, but haven't yet made the plunge.

My first purchase was an ABS Helmet Kit from ATA. I had read that this helmet was fairly screen accurate and had a much better fit (appropriate size) than the AM one and would be cheaper than the RT-Mod version. I ordered the kit on Thursday 2-17-12 and received it in the mail today, 2-21-12. See requisite "helmet box" pics below:

HelmetBox-3.jpg

HelmetBoxOpen-2.jpg

HelmetKit-2.jpg

I went to my local Hobby Lobby and picked up a few things to help get me started including a stainless steel ruler, X-acto Replacement Blades (as I did have the knife), some Testors Gloss Black #1147 paint, and a couple tubes of E-6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive tubes. I also saw a Hasbro E-11 Blaster at target and a Stormtrooper figure (I won't count that in my tally) that I figured I had better pick up too.

StormTrooperPurchase2-17-12.jpg

I then researched the Droopy Doo's conversion kits...but ended up going a different route (more details to come). I ordered a few other things, but I won't be posting those until I receive them.

I can't wait to dig into building my helmet. I've been reading several threads, compiling many reference pics, and have watched all of the video segments on www.trooperbay.com.

I hope you enjoy my build log and look forward to your feedback and observations.

NEW PURCHASES:

* ABS ATA Helmet Kit from ATA - $133.00 (include shipping) - HELMET/ARMOR

* STAINLESS STEEL RULER from Hobby Lobby, maker Pacific Ave # M-15 - $3.99 - TOOLS

* X-Acto Replacement Blades #11 (5 pk) from Hobby Lobby, maker Xacto #X211 - $2.79 - TOOLS

* Testors Gloss Black Paint from Hobby Lobby, maker Testors # 1147 - $1.59 - MATERIALS

* E-6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive (x2) from Hobby Lobby, maker Amazing - $3.99 ea - MATERIALS

* Stormtrooper E-11 Blaster from Target, maker Hasbro - $19.99 - WEAPONS

CATEGORY TOTALS TO DATE:

Helmet/Armor: $133.00

Weapons: $19.99

Enhancements: $0.00

Tools: $6.78

Materials: $9.57

GRAND TOTAL TO DATE: $169.34

Edited by Mopar McNeer

Keep in mind that if you want to go Centurion the Hasbro blaster won't cut it. So you may want to sell it before working on it. Or finishing the conversion and then selling it to someone who's unsure of doing the conversion by him/herself.

This should help illustrate how quickly the little things add up. Good luck!

Yes sir. I do this with most of my projects anyway (be it home repair/construction, electronics builds, or working on my cars). I like to know how much I spent and where the funds went to.

Plus I thought others might like to see just how much it costs in the real world to build a kit like mine.

Keep in mind that if you want to go Centurion the Hasbro blaster won't cut it. So you may want to sell it before working on it. Or finishing the conversion and then selling it to someone who's unsure of doing the conversion by him/herself.

Yeah, I found that out after having purchased the blaster, but no biggie. I did end up purchasing a better one (more on that later when it arrives), but lets just say this "E-11 Hyperflex". I hope that will do the trick.

I thought about keeping track of how much this was costing and very quickly decided it was not a good idea. If my wife were to find out she would take half my stuff.

Yeah, I probably won't show my fiance this list either (she already thinks I'm nuts having a basement full of Star Wars stuff). But it's not just her, my friends think I'm crazy too (see pic of my basement, am I crazy? you tell me). lol

StarWarsBasement1.jpg

I'm financing this endeavor completely by selling some of my car part stash and doing side jobs for people.

Good luck with your build, you are off to a great start...! :)

Thanks! I appreciate having this great forum and all the wonderful and helpful folks here to give me a hand when I need it and for all the information that is already out here to find.

• 2 weeks later...

March 4th, 2012

Well, the real world has been keeping me away from getting started on my project. But I have continued to do so shopping while mentally working though my build (and continuing to read and research here on FISD). Just thought I'd add a few things to my purchase list and post up a few pictures of the purchases.

On a side note, I ordered a pair of boots from TKBoots.com. They arrived quickly and were very nice, but were a size too big. I normally wear size 11's in Vans/Hawks and in my dress (work) shoes and work boots. When I got the TK Boots, they were very loose on me - I could slide my foot forward and fit my fingers down the back of the boot without issue. I contacted TK Boots (trooper supplies) and they were very helpful. I sent my boots back last week and hope to get my replacement size 10's soon.

I'm setting a goal for myself this week - I would like to get the face and helmet trimmed. I'm hoping also to spray the inside of each with the Krylon Satin Black Paint too. I have ordered the Hero Upgrade set (hero ears & smoke bubble lenses from John in the U.K) that I will be usings,but in the mean time, will be trimming a set of ears that I got with the ATA Helmet kit so I can build some experience before working on my "Hero" ears.

I have a few other things on order too, but I won't be adding them to my "Expenses List" unti I receive them. Needless to say, I'm racking up a decent total thus far, considering I haven't even ordered an armor kit yet...lol It's only money, right?

AeratorSpeakers15w.jpg

HelmetFanPair.jpg

HobbyToolPurchase-Group2.jpg

TrooperbayPurchase2.jpg

VaderDaveAbButtonKit.jpg

CommunicationsSetUp.jpg

MemorexWirelessHeadsetKitItems.jpg

AkerSpeakerKit.jpg

i-CommStaticBurstKit.jpg

NEW PURCHASES:

* Aerator Micro Speakers (pair) from FISD member LaunchPad - $11.00 (included shipping) - Enhancements

* ANH TK Ab Buttons from FISD member Vader Dave - $20.00 (included shipping) - Enhancements

* Imperial Fan Kit (x2) from FISD member TK4261 - $30.00 ea (included shipping) - Enhancements

* Eastbay Compression Tight (pant) w/ EVAPOR, # 6846102 from Eastbay.com - $15.00 on special, reg $24.99 (shipping of $3.99) - Helmet/Armor

* Eastbay L/S Compression Mock w/ EVAPOR, # 6843102 from Eastbay.com - $15.00 on special, reg $24.99 (shipping of $3.99) - Helmet/Armor

* Black Baron Sealing (Hobby) Iron, #covr2550 from Ebay - $21.56 (+ $5.95 shipping) - Tools

* Parma Ultimate Lexan Scissors, #PAR10404 from Ebay - $6.69 (+ $2.24 shipping) - Tools

* Du-Bro Body (Lexan) Scissors & Reamer 3 pc Set, #2331 from Ebay - $18.49 (included shipping) - Tools

* 3 pc Rotary Leather Hole Punch Pliers & Grommet Hole Punch, from Ebay - $15.95 (included shipping) - Tools

* Aker MR1506 (black) 10w Voice Amp, from FISD memeber TK6294 - $47.00 (+ $4 shipping) - Enhancements

* i-Comm Static Burst System, from FISD memeber TK6294 - $95.00 (+ $4 shipping) - Enhancements

* Memorex Wireless Headset Mic Kit, #MKA 382 from FISD member TK6294 - $25.00 (+ $4 shipping) - Enhancements

* Clean Release Blue Painters Tape .94" wide x 60 yards, Duck brand from Wal-Mart - $2.97 - Materials

* Clean Release Blue Painters Tape 1.88" x 60 yards, Duck brand from Wal-Mart - $6.17 - Materials

* Fiskars Self Healing Cutting Mat 18"x24", Fiskars brand #01-005900from Wal-Mart - $15.44 - Tools

* Hovi Mic Tips (sskunky), from Trooperbay.com - $35.00 (+ $2.25 shipping) - Enhancements

* Yellow Helmet Foam with Straps Kit, from Trooperbay.com - $15.00 (+ $2.25 shipping) - Enhancements

* Krylon Fusion Spray Paint (for plastics) in Satin Black, Krylon brand #2421 from True Value - $5.49 - Materials

* #1 Light Duty Hobby Knife, Techni Edge brand #01-012 from True Value - $3.79 - Tools

CATEGORY TOTALS TO DATE:

Helmet/Armor: $133.00 previous + $37.90 = $170.90

Weapons: $19.99 previous + $0.00 = $19.99

Enhancements: $0.00 previous + $324.50 = $324.50

Tools: $6.78 previous + $90.11 = $96.89

Materials: $9.57 previous + $14.63 = $24.20

GRAND TOTAL TO DATE:

$169.34 previous + $363.48 = $805.82

If you're having to buy all of the tools and materials, it's more expensive than you would think. This is where the advantage to getting in touch with your local garrison before the build comes in handy. They usually have all of the tools, and quite often, enough extra snaps, fasteners, elastic, etc. to help you minimize the cost. Once again, very handy thread.

March 7th, 2012

Still no work has begun, but I did receive another order from Trooperbay. This order included Ear Rank Decals, "Dave M" Helmet Decals, TK-4510 Helmet Assembly Manual, E-11 Blaster D-Ring, 2- Ten packs of Rare Earth Magnets (more on that in a minute), Zap-A-Gap / Zip Kicker Combo Pack, Black Rubber Glove/ Bright White Hand Plate Combo, Frown Screen Mesh, & Tube Stripes...and a E-11 Blaster sticker too!!

TrooperbayPurchase1.jpg

I mentioned that I had purchased a couple 10 pks or Rare Earth Magnets from Trooperbay.com. I was expecting to get the nice, large (size of a quarter) Earth Magnets...but I didn't read the fine print very well I guess. They are only 5/16" in diameter. And while they might be strong, they certainly won't be up to the task of helping me much on this project...lol

TrooperbayRareEarthMagnets-Comparison1.jpg

TrooperbayRareEarthMagnets-Comparison2.jpg

Since I'm building a HERO TK, I ordered the "Hero Upgrade Kit" from FISD Member John Danter. I chose to go with the "smoke" colored bubble lenses.

HeroUpgradeKit.jpg

Lastly I snagged up a couple packs of sandpaper in different grits (180, 220, 320) from Wal-Mart.

SandPaper.jpg

NEW PURCHASES

* Ear Rank Decals from Trooperbay.com - $3.00 (free shipping) - Enhancements

* "Dave M" Helmet Decals from Trooperbay.com - $26.00 (free shipping ) - Enhancements

* TK-4510 Helmet Assembly Manual from Trooperbay.com - $15.00 (+ $2.25 shipping) - Literature/Misc

* E-11 Blaster D-Ring from Trooperbay.com - $3.00 (+ 2.25 shipping) - Enhancements

* 2- Ten packs of 5/16" Rare Earth Magnets from Trooperbay.com - $3.50 ea (+ $2.25 shipping) - Tools

* Zap-A-Gap / Zip Kicker Combo Pack from Trooperbay.com - $20.00 (+ $2.25 shipping) - Materials

* Black Rubber Glove/ Bright White Hand Plate Combo from Trooperbay.com - $38.00 (+ $2.25 shipping) - Enhancements

* Frown Screen Mesh from Trooperbay.com - $3.50 (+2.25 shipping) - Enhancements

* Tube Stripes from Trooperbay.com - $0.00 (free shipping) - Enhancements

* Hero Upgrade Kit (Ears & Lenses) from FISD Member John Danter - $29.00 (includes shipping) - Enhancements

* 180 Grit Sandpaper 5 pk # 11180-G from Wal-Mart - $3.68 - Materials

* 220 Grit Sandpaper 5 pk # 11220-G from Wal-Mart - $3.57 - Materials

* 320 Grit Sandpaper 5 pk # 11320-G from Wal-Mart - $3.57 - Materials

CATEGORY TOTALS TO DATE:

Helmet/Armor: $170.90 previous + $0.00 = $170.90

Enhancements: $324.50 previous + $109.25 = $433.75

Tools: $96.89 previous + $5.75 = $102.64

Materials: $24.20 previous + $33.07 = $57.27

Literature/Misc: $0.00 previous + $17.25 = $17.25

GRAND TOTAL TO DATE:

$805.82 previous + $165.32 = $971.14

Edited by Mopar McNeer

Those hero eyes (and ears) you bought from John are great. I use them in mine, and I can see! What a concept!

Geat detail on your build! Keep it up! :salute:

If you have feedback it is because your mic is picking up the sound coming out of the speaker. First thing to do would be turn down the volume on the speaker. That is the biggest cause of feedback.Your placement of the parts might be off as well. Check my post as I just succesfully installed the whole sytstem, including the wireless. :smiley-sw013:

March 18th, 2012

The last few weeks have been very busy for me and I really hadn't gotten to do much work or purchasing toward my TK build. About a week or so ago I did receive my size 11 Boots from TK Boots. While I typically wear a size 11 in my street shoe (Vans/Hawks) while wearing my Hanes ankle cut socks, I found that the size 11 TK Boots were really big on me. At least a size or better too big!! There really was not any amount of insole or sock that I could have used to get them to fit comfortably. I contacted TK Boots via email and they were very helpful and had great communications. I covered the return shipping of my boots and the shipping of the new ones back to me, so changing sizes wasn't necessarily an inexpensive venture, but I knew that I needed a smaller size. I was a bit leary about trying to figure out what size to go with as I really didn't want to have to return a second pair and go through that expense again. I decided to go with a size 10.

About a week after having sent my TK Boots back, my new pair were in the mail to me. I had my fingers crossed as I tried them on but was relieved when they fit. I still found them to be just a touch big, but that might be good for when I drop in an insole. I really don't want to go with a thicker sock, but if it's necessary, I'll do it. But overall, these were very comfortable and should be perfect for me. The boots themselves were very nice IMO. My co-works had a few giggles while I showed off my new boots - I suppose they do look a bit silly without the rest of the costume. :)

TKBoots1.jpg

I have a little bit of spare time today before the Season Finale of The Walking Dead aires tonight, so I figured it was as good a time as any to loose my "TK Cut Virginity" and start doing some trimming on my ATA Helmet. I refered to the forums here as well as my Basic Helmet Assembly book that I had received from Trooperbay to be sure I was on the right track. I decided to go about it a slightly different route though as I wanted paint the interior of my helmet with some Satin Black Krylon paint for plastics (rather than trying to paint it later). That being the case, I decided to wait on cutting out the eyes and teeth until after it was painted.

Here was my first cut on the helmet corner...lol.

MyFirstCutontheHelmet-Close.jpg

I found that after the first cut, it really was no big deal. The small DuBros Lexan (curved and straight) scissors were great, but I found the "Ultimate Lexan Scissors" that I have previously purchased to be basically worthless for this. They would barely even cut. I'm betting that these really aren't for Lexan, dispite their name. I continued by marking & trimming up the Helmet Lid and Helmet Face. Then trimmed the brow strip and attempted my first ear.

MarkingtheRightSideoftheHelmetLid.jpg

MarkingtheLeftSideoftheHelmetLid.jpg

HolePunchtheHelmetCornertoPreventCracking.jpg

BottomofHelmet-Trimming.jpg

HelmetScrapPile.jpg

On a side note, after looking at the Helmet Face piece, it looks like it will be just as easy to cut the eyes out using the inside molding lines.

MarkingtheEyesontheInside2.jpg

After having the basic Helmet Lid and Helmet Face Plate trimmed up, it mocked up like this.

HelmetMockupWithBrowStrip.jpg

Before I cut out the eyes & teeth, I got the pieces ready for paint. I started by washing the parts with some dish soap, then let them air dry.

WashYourHelmet.jpg

AirDryyourHelmet.jpg

I wrapped up the day by taping off and wrapping the helmet exteriors with Blue Painters tape and Saran wrap. I was sure to cover the ATA stamp too, as I wanted to keep that visible after painting my helmet.

HelmetInteriorReadyforPaint.jpg

HelmetExteriorReadyforPaint.jpg

ATAHelmetMarkings-Far.jpg

CoveringtheATAHelmetMarkingsforPaint-Close.jpg

CoveringtheATAHelmetMarkingsforPaint-Far.jpg

I set up a small paint station in my garage and layed down several thin coats of paint. It seemed to go on very well with even coverage, which I was extremely pleased about.

HelmetFacewithPaintedInterior1.jpg

HelmetLidwithPaintedInterior1.jpg

I'm hoping that I can come back to this in a couple days once everything has had plenty of time to dry and cut out the eyes and teeth. Then rivot the lid to the face plate. Then move back on to the ears. So far so good, I can't wait to have a bit more time to get back on this project.

NEW PURCHASES

* Storm Trooper size 10 Boots from TK Boots (www.tkboots.com) - $54.00 (+ $14 Shipping) - Helmet/Armor

CATEGORY TOTALS TO DATE:

Helmet/Armor: $170.90 previous + $68.00 = $238.90

Enhancements: $433.75 previous + $0.00 = $433.75

Tools: $102.64 previous + $0.00 = $102.64

Materials: $57.27 previous + $0.00 = $57.27

Literature/Misc: $17.25 previous + $0.00 = $17.25

GRAND TOTAL TO DATE:

$971.14 previous + $68 = $1039.14

Edited by Mopar McNeer

• 2 weeks later...

March 28th, 2012

Finally, I took the plunge and sent Rob my deposit for my RT-Mod armor. I was going to go with a "Lite" kit but realized the helmet I was working on had a "stunt" face plate and not the "Hero" that I was wanting (my own fault, not ATA's). Knowing that I was going for a hero build, I decided the little bit of extra cost to get a fully assembled helmet from RT-Mod would be money well spent. That way I had a nicely built Hero helmet and I would have my stunt helmet that I built for use or display as I saw fit. Needless to say, the May "deliverey date" can't come soon enough.

I sent a set of Bubble lenses to Rob to have those installed. I've asked him to see if he can leave a small gap at the bottom of the lenses to help with air flow. I also asked him to paint the inside of the Hero helmet in a satin black, similar to what I've done to my ATA Stunt helmet in my previous posts. He was great about helping with those considerations.

I got a few other things in the mail this past week, but I'll post those up later. I hope to get a bit of time this weekend to finish cutting out the face of my ATA helmet and maybe even get it assembled.

NEW PURCHASES

* Deposit for RT-Mod Full ANH Hero Kit - $250.00 - Helmet/Armor

CATEGORY TOTALS TO DATE:

Helmet/Armor: $238.90 previous + $250.00 = $488.90

Enhancements: $433.75 previous + $0.00 = $433.75

Tools: $102.64 previous + $0.00 = $102.64

Materials: $57.27 previous + $0.00 = $57.27

GRAND TOTAL TO DATE:

$1039.14 previous + $250.00 = $1289.14

March 28th, 2012 (update 2)

As mentioned before, I do have a few other things that I've purchased and received this month.

The first is probably one of the coolest things I've been able to pick up to date. I was lucky enough to get in touch with Lewis (FISD Screen Name slavefive) and snag one of his last E11 Hyperfirm blasters. I picked up a "D" ring from Trooperbay and sent it to him for use with the blaster. Upon receiving this, I was in awe. It is a beautiful piece, looks to be durable, and just makes me grin when holding it (feeling a bit like a TK already).

HyperfirmE11Blaster1.jpg

HyperfirmE11Blaster2.jpg

Knowing that I was going to own a kick an butt E11, I knew I needed a kick an butt ANH holster to hold in all that goodness, so I got in touch with TK Bondservnt 2392 and got one coming. I was again impressed with the quality craftsmenship and quick turn around on this item.

E11BlasterHolster1.jpg

It was a perfect match for my new E11.

E11BlasterinHolster1.jpg

I also picked up a couple things for my dremel tool, including some cutting discs, sanding drums, and a multi-purpose bit that should help in finishing up my helmet and later on crafting my RT-Mod armor.

MarchPurchases.jpg

NEW PURCHASES

* Hyperfirm E11 Blaster from slavefive (FISD screen name) - $225.00 (+25.00 Shipping) - Weapons

* ANH E11 Holster from TK Bondservnt 2392 (FISD screen name) - $65.00 (included shipping) - Enhancements

* 60 Grit Dremel Brand Sanding Bands (6 pk), PN 408-01 from Wal-Mart - $3.17 - Materials

* Heavy Duty Dremel Brand Cut-Off Wheels (20 pk), PN 420-01 from Wal-Mart - $5.77 - Materials

* Multi-Purpose Dremel Brand Bit, PN 561-01 from Wal-Mart - $3.97 - Tools

CATEGORY TOTALS TO DATE:

Helmet/Armor: $488.90 previous + $0.00 = $488.90

Weapons: $19.99 previous + $250.00 = $269.99

Enhancements: $433.75 previous + $65.00 = $498.75

Tools: $102.64 previous + $3.97 = $102.64

Materials: $57.27 previous + $8.94 = $66.21

GRAND TOTAL TO DATE:

$1289.14 previous + $327.91 = $1617.05

Edited by Mopar McNeer

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh, so familiar! This is an excellent thread! I have a spreadsheet running of nearly everything so far as well. I may share the details after I've finished with the build and satisfied that I'm generally done (can that ever happen?). I've been dropping the ball as of late with keeping up with it, especially after I went over budget and have easily cracked the $1,200 mark that I set as my limit. Fortunately, I've been financing mine with ebay sales of my other nerdology items so as long as I still have worthy things to sell I should be in good shape!

Onward and upward!

Seriously, if i had kept tabs on what I spent, my husband would have me committed. I keep reminding him, "At least I don't have a shoe habit."

Can't forget to include supplies (tools, glue, snaps, scissors, polish, sandpaper, exacto blades, band-aids) and all that stuff that adds up in micro payments.

:blink: