Is this common place?

TD-4395

Allright so i have seen tons of videos of people in armor walking around and such, i have just recently finished my armor, held together by every glue out there. I have noticed that my snap plates keep poping off, and that the thighs make walking look a bit awkard, and was wondering if everyone has the same issues? It feels like if i were to walk any decent amount it might break apart :( thanks for the answers

Very few builds (none that I know of, actually) fit and/or hold up perfectly the first time they are worn and/or trooped in. It's an ongoing project, and you will continuously tweak your armor as you make new discoveries in terms of fit, accuracy, ease of movement, etc.

The day you finally have it dialed in perfectly is the day to start the whole process over with a brand new kit. :P

E6000 holds snap plates on very well. I don't know about everybody, but yeah, I think I walk kinda funny too. I just take shorter steps. If normal walking is very awkward, you might just need to lower your thighs a little bit.

ya in perticular its the thigh plates, iam gonna have to try inbetween the two current snaps, the 1st was a little too long making me walk funny since the front of the thigh was a little too low, and the new one snaps off. Thanks again for the quick answers, just wasnt sure if it was common place to have snaps come off everytime you try on your armor. hophelly ill be going to my 1st trooping soon :)

I don't think you will ever be able to walk in armour how you do when out of it. There are a lot of pieces all moving together :)

I used Loctite super glue gel for my snap plates. A bit expensive but sticks fantastic and dries in seconds. I also had no issues with it warping any of the outside of the armour.

When you say snaps popping off, you mean the whole snap assembly popping off (glue not holding) or you mean the elastic snap side popping off the fixed snap side?

Also, noticed from your posted pics you have some pretty sharp edges on the top rear of your thighs where the armor meets your butt. Try trimming those edges off a bit and rounding the corners off. Might make that area a bit more comfortable.

Brian is right, wearing armor is an ongoing process to get it right for you. Took me 2-3 troops in my TD to figure some things out. This is too tight, that is too loose and so on. You will also pick up some good ideas from others when you see how they have their gear setup. Helped me alot.

ya that was gonna be my next plan, i was thinking i could use a combo of velcro and zap a gap. Its the snap plate it self popping off (glue not holding), and i love that all purpose cement works great on most of the armor, but cant use it anymore, theres one small spot where to started to warp the outside of the armor.

Edited by dante12721

To me the only reason the snap plate would come off is because you didnt' sand or buff the armor and snap plates on the glue sides before you glued them. They should hold pretty well as long as you do that.

I use 150 or higher sandpaper on the areas I plan to glue 2 plastics together. I use rubbing alcohol to remove any dust from the plastic. Then glue the snap plate and apply. I put a bottle cap over they snap plate and tighten down with clamp to hold firm to armor until it dries. (just a couple of minutes with CA glue).

What I did for placing my snaps as others suggested is sanding both surface areas, then I used CA glue then reinforced them with E6000 and let them sit overnight.

Dan

TK-3967

Have you glued them onto the inside of the armour using the gloss side on the plate maybe?

Make some new ones and criss cross score the dull side of the plate with a scalpel a few times.

I don't like E6000, takes too long so I always use 2 part superglue.

Try making new ones and see how you go :)

As for walking correctly, yeah that depends on you being the bang on correct size etc. Even then if you wear pieces close, you'll rub. As others have said, it's a very fine and on going process.

When I do the legs I always use masking tape to hold it together first and walk about. If it's good, I then commit with glue.

I'll have to take a look at what you are talking about with the snap plates not holding Tyler. I have built 5 suits using the ABS cement to to apply the snap plates and I have yet to have any pop off.

I have also never had the cement warp the outside of the armor. That could happen if you use too much cement I suppose, but I have never seen it happen. We'll figure it out.

Ive never hada snap plate fall off from any of my builds using E-6000..

Walking easily is all to do with your height and how the armour restricts your movement, also something ive never had any trouble with..