E-11 Power Cylinders Research Thread (renamed from "3 Central Fuses...")

PlayfulWolfCub

• 3 weeks later...

I got my "Caps" right after "Christmas". From reading this thread the "Original Cylinders " had "Three Caps" between the "Cylinders"? I thought only "Two Caps" are between the "Power Cylinders"? The question I have is, "How many "Caps" shoud I put between my "Cylinders" 2 or 3? Also it looks like I should drill out some holes so the backs of the "Caps" sit in the "metal" like the "Cylinders" does. Am I correct for that?

Andy

Historically people have always been putting 2 small capacitors in between the bigger ones. This thread indicates there may be evidence that there actually were 3 of them. And yes, should you use these capacitors, the back plate should have those small holes. One hole per capacitor.

Edited by Locitus

I got my "Caps" right after "Christmas". From reading this thread the "Original Cylinders " had "Three Caps" between the "Cylinders"? I thought only "Two Caps" are between the "Power Cylinders"? The question I have is, "How many "Caps" shoud I put between my "Cylinders" 2 or 3? Also it looks like I should drill out some holes so the backs of the "Caps" sit in the "metal" like the "Cylinders" does. Am I correct for that?

Andy

It depends which screen blaster you want to make.

Han's Detention Block Blaster had 3 central capacitors and the backplate is more or less straight across.

The blaster Luke & Leia have when they swing over the chasm has just 2 central capacitors because the backplate has a semi-circle cut out of it under where the valve socket was.

The traditional 2 capacitor design with one on a diagonal is based on one blaster on which I think the capacitors got badly mis-shapen either during making or afterwards

Have a close look at my "Han's Detention Block" Power Cylinder templates on page 9 of this thread. The backplate shape needs tweaking & I haven't done it yet but it's very close to 100% screen accurate and it has very clear photos of how the capacitors are attached. You can see they pass through the backplate. There's also a photo of the blaster the 2 capacitor design is based on.

Good luck with your build. Please post pics of it for us :) Andy

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody, im new here ( few members from the RPF push me to join you )

i just bought a real esterling and im on the process to mod it.

i spent almost all day reading all this info, and id like to say thanks so much!! amazing research guys.well done

i learned so much.

cheers !

I see interesting things in that photo. But more disturbing is that it looks like there's only two small capacitors in between the bigger ones. Look at the marks between the bigger ones, as if they have these holes in the frame, like John had his new ones made like. But I only see two (really faint) marks where the small capacitors would be.

tubescompara.jpg

i think looks like they removed the 2 capacitors and left just the top one "in"

Hi everybody, im new here ( few members from the RPF push me to join you )

i just bought a real esterling and im on the process to mod it.

i spent almost all day reading all this info, and id like to say thanks so much!! amazing research guys.well done

i learned so much.

cheers !

Hi Paplooo - Glad you've found it interesting :) Are you thinking of recreating a particular screen-used E11? Hope you'll be posting pictures!

I've had a break from my Power Cylinders project but I'm hoping to finally finish it in the next 2 weeks - pictures of my completed E11 will follow. As you may have guessed from my posts I'm making the variant Han uses in the detention block corridor... complete with 3 rounds of inert ammo as that's the number of live blanks he had in the mag and fires just before diving into the garbage! lol :)

Good luck with your build :)

thanks.

I havent decided yet which version ill make.. ive got a M38 and a m40 so ,i cant make the "han version" as hes using the m19

this is fun !.. i always wanted a E11, and I`ve got the "resin plastic tube version pvc "..

yesterday on the RPF somebody was selling a sterling, and i thought..OK is time to get one !

i bought one here in UK , is gonna arrive tomorrow ( wait ,, is tuesday here ) .. i mean today!

after some search i found 4 scopes around the world ( 2 in uk ) even i found this moring a M19, but sold for $250 , i thought mmm the m19 looks better in han/luke blasters..so i didnt buy it - which -im -regretting- that -so much !!

any way.. ill post some picture of the gun, and then all the progress ( ill take my time , slow slow is the way to get screen accurate things.)

cheers !

Edited by paplooo

Oo! A fresh Sterling! You're so going to enjoy that! I've never regretted buying mine even though it's a lot of money for something I can't drive, live in or eat! lol

Han actually uses 3 different E11s in the Detention Corridor scene. He may use more but I've noticed 3 distinct variations: one with an M38 scope which he fires just before diving into the garbage, one with an M38 with power cylinders back to front (lol!) & a little add-on at the back of the scope (but it's not an A2) (see photo) and one with an M19 scope.

There is no continuity at all in what E11 either Han or Luke had at any given point so we can pretty much use our favourite scope shape and find a screenshot that matches up! :) If I ever get REALLY bored I'll go through the scenes frame by frame, note how many times they switch variation & make a video with screenshots of every change. :)

Han-corridor.jpg

i think looks like they removed the 2 capacitors and left just the top one "in"

I think maybe these still screenshots can be misleading, looked at on their own. If you watch the scene you'll see all 3 capacitors are there on the Y-Wing targeting computer (which is what I took these screenshots of, during the Death Star trench attack)

• 3 weeks later...

I am currenty working on my Sterling build. I bought "Power Cylinders" in the past and misplaced them. I bought the "capilators"that were posted here from Ebay back in December. I am using "Steel" and "Brass" to make the 'Power Cylinders. Here is where I am on the build. I made a template from the specs from the two templates that were posted on this thread. I traced the template on a pices of plastic and cut it out. I then traced the template on the steel and cut and drilled it out. I also cut the Brass tubes as well and used a file to smooth out the rough edges. I drilled out the center area where the "capilators" go and inserted them to see how it looks.

I am working with a Hammer, Drill, Bits, various Files, Dremmel and a Vice. I have still a way to go with the "End Caps, Bolts and Nuts, Primer and Painting". I wanted to post some pics to share some of my progress so far. I will be posting a detailed journal of the build.

How does it look so far?

Andy

043-9.jpg

044-9.jpg

045-8.jpg

046-8.jpg

How does it look so far?

Andy

Looking good Andy smile.png

I don't know if you're thinking of shaping the back plate but if you are I've tweaked my Han templates a bit more & I believe they're now totally screen accurate with screenshots to support each design element (not all shown as I wanted a 1-page guide for simplicity).

Here's the latest version. The only thing I haven't finalised is the electronics at the back which no-one ever puts on anyway.

Edited 28/7/12: Design plan temporarily removed. PM me if you want a copy.

I'll be doing a "Luke & Leia at the chasm" Power Cylinders template soon but that one has 2 capacitors & you've used 3 so that's not the variant you're recreating.

Cheers, Andy

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

Andy,

Yes, I am going to shape the back plate. Did you remove the "Plastic" casing of the "capilators"? I am thinking of removing mine? Also, Should the "Capilators" be painted or unpainted? I am thinking of painting the power cylinders "Flat Black" and not painting the "Capilators" Simular to how some of the "Scope rails" are left "Unpainted".

Andy

Looking good Andy :)

I don't know if you're thinking of shaping the back plate but if you are I've tweaked my Han templates a bit more & I believe they're now totally screen accurate with screenshots to support each design element (not all shown as I wanted a 1-page guide for simplicity).

Here's the latest version. The only thing I haven't finalised is the electronics at the back which no-one ever puts on anyway.

I'll be doing a "Luke & Leia at the chasm" Power Cylinders template soon but that one has 2 capacitors & you've used 3 so that's not the variant you're recreating.

Cheers, Andy

HansE11CylindersM38M19variants-1.png

Andy, I am going to put on the wires as well. There is a screen shot of Lukes blaster. The picture is right after they show Lea the Falcon Luke's "E11" looks like it has a few thin wires connecting the Counter to the Power Cylinders; not the thicker "Curly" wires. I am looking for that pic.

Andy

WOW! What a great read!

Thought I would stick my pennies worth in here....

Now I know these are not the right capacitors but...... They do have a K in them. I thought this pic might help with the search.....

capacitors.jpg

Got any specifications on those capacitors? Maybe the K stands for something. Like what kind of electrolyte is used inside or something. Might make it easier finding the right kind of capacitor.

Got any specifications on those capacitors? Maybe the K stands for something. Like what kind of electrolyte is used inside or something. Might make it easier finding the right kind of capacitor.

I've been looking for a year for the exact caps looking at 6 separate daily ebay autosearches using terms like TCC, metalmite, surplus, military. No luck yet.

I believe the ones we're currently using are the exact dimensions but a civilian version whereas the originals were from military equipment so may have been military grade.

As has been suggested before, I'd say they're "METALMITE"s with a K tolerance rating (see chart below). I'm not a techie so I don't know what that means... lol

Capacitor codes:

B = +/- 0.1%

C = +/- 0.25

D = +/- 0.5

F = +/- 1%

G = +/- 2

J = +/- 5

K = +/- 10%

M = +/- 20

Z = +80 to -20% Must be for electrolytics I guess?

This is what I read on each cap. Maybe someone has a different photo/higher res version or better eyes than me and can fill in the gaps?

Cap 1: ……70’C & ……00’C

Cap 2: (hidden because pushed further through backplate)

Cap 3: (?)

Cap 4: 500 V……

Cap 5: “M…… & K……

Cap 6: ……LA (?)

Cap 7: (hidden)

Cap 8: (?)

Cap 9: (hidden)

Cap 10: ……ITEâ€

Cap 11: ……(?)

Cap 12: (hidden)

cdaa.jpg

Andy,

Yes, I am going to shape the back plate. Did you remove the "Plastic" casing of the "capilators"? I am thinking of removing mine? Also, Should the "Capilators" be painted or unpainted? I am thinking of painting the power cylinders "Flat Black" and not painting the "Capilators" Simular to how some of the "Scope rails" are left "Unpainted".

Andy

Yeah, no photo I've seen has the plastic casing on the capacitors on so I took mine off.

I believe the Power Cylinders on the E11s got painted totally satin black - the photos of them unpainted are from the landspeeder. However they're cool little things and it seems a shame to cover them up & they may not all have got painted so i guess we can do what we want. I'll be painting mine when I've finalised the rear electronics.

You're calling them "capilators". I'm not a techie - is this a more precise term than capacitors? If so, where does it come from?

Cheers, Andy

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

Andy, I am going to put on the wires as well. There is a screen shot of Lukes blaster. The picture is right after they show Lea the Falcon Luke's "E11" looks like it has a few thin wires connecting the Counter to the Power Cylinders; not the thicker "Curly" wires. I am looking for that pic.

Andy

I'll have to have a look at the film for that screenshot - sounds very useful & I've not seen it.

However, the electronics I need to finalise aren't actually those connecting wires - they're the wires & little resistors that run at 90 degrees between the capacitors as seen in this shot. They're visible still attached to the Power Cylinders in at least one E11 photo:

Capacitorthroughplatefromback.jpg