Cast from Original (CfO) - ROTJ Death Star stormtrooper build - Going for the hattrick! [*CFO]

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To get the parts to curve the way you want them is to wedge a piece of wood at each end to the desired width and heat gently. I have done this on some of the suits I have built for people with great success.

Ā 

The wrist should measure 90mm wide and the elbow 115mm for reference.

To get the parts to curve the way you want them is to wedge a piece of wood at each end to the desired width and heat gently. I have done this on some of the suits I have built for people with great success.

Ā 

Thanks for the tip, Paul. That's going to help a lot. Wedge in position and then add heat. Makes a lot of sense. Cheers!

I've been looking at screen caps again, and in particular those which are good reference pictures for weathering, i.e. troopers in the woods. I've come to the conclusion that the stormtrooper costumes were divided up into hero and stunt in a similar way to ANH.

It seems the vast majority of the dirty/weathered troopers, getting attacked by Ewoks, have flat lenses. The bubble lenses are predominantly seen on the clean (hero) troopers seen indoors.

Ā 

It might even be worth including in the CRL / EIB / Centurion programmes. These are the typical features of each as I would break it down ...

Ā 

Stunt

Seen in the forest (by definition performing stunts!)

Flat lenses

Weathered armour

Visible dark soles on boots

No holster

(Often) no thermal detonator

Ā 

Hero

Full armour configuration (thermal det + holster included - I have spotted only one clean indoor trooper with no holster)

Clean armour

Bubble lenses

Clean painted white boot soles

Ā 

This has finally made up my mind to weather my suit and go for my own "stunt" configuration, i.e. flat lenses, no holster, optional thermal detonator, sometimes carrying the ESB promo version of the E-11.

Ā 

Just look at all those "Stunt" troopers with their flat lenses! The "ROTJ-toppers-all-had-bubble-lenses" myth busted? :D

Ā 

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h43m26s167.png

Ā 

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h17m15s81-1.png

Ā 

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h17m03s215.png

Ā 

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h15m37s132.png

Ā 

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h15m30s58.png

Ā 

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h15m20s206.png

Ā 

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h15m13s138-1.png

Ā 

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h15m05s60.png

Ā 

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h12m01s12.png

Ā 

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h11m52s185.png

Ā 

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h11m31s225-1.png

Ā 

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h11m26s163.png

Ā 

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h11m19s108.png

Ā 

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h11m05s205.png

Ā 

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h09m43s164.png

Ā 

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h07m28s94.png

Edited by Rick330

Very cool discoveries Rich! :)

Ā 

Thanks but I wouldn't exactly take any credit for discoveries as such. I think I just maybe looked a little longer at the screen caps than most do ... instead of getting on with my work! :D

Nice grabs!

Ā 

I would however argue that the boots are likely the same for hero and stunt troopers. They look like they're a white color, just dirty from running around in all that dirt.

Nice grabs!

Ā 

I would however argue that the boots are likely the same for hero and stunt troopers. They look like they're a white color, just dirty from running around in all that dirt.

Ā 

Ā 

Absolutely agree that they're the same boots but I think it's more a case of white paint falling off the soles in the woods.

Are you sure they were painted? From some stuff I've seen it looks as if they were an actual different type of boot from the ANH and ESB ones. To me, they honestly just look dirty. I've had my fair share of white soled shoes and that's exactly what they look like after a few years of abuse.

Pretty certain that these are different boots to ANH too. But also pretty certain that the soles were painted. Look at these ...

Ā 

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h43m44s82.png

Ā 

And compare ....

Ā 

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-09h55m42s208-1.png

Edited by Rick330

The boots are definitely differnt from ANH and ESB. They have grips on the soles compared to the smooth leather soles of ANH, and they also look to be a yellow/brown colour which indicates a man made sole.

Ā 

I heard a rumour they were Naval officers white dress boots, but have never really found anything that matches, and I don't think they were made by Roots either.

Maybe they wore flat lenses in the forrest because they couldn't see a damn thing (like you, Rich).

On the death star, they only stood like on a pararde (okay, it was a parade)no need to see anything

Ā 

Possibly, the troopers with flat lenses do seem to be doin much more running about.

But there's a also definite pattern of stunt versus hero, i.e. the bubble lenses are the ones seen closest the camera and the flat lenses are seen on the background troopers.

Ā 

Either way, I was pleased to find more troopers with flat lenses. It proves it wasn't a one-off "mistake". I can now finish my "ROTJ stunt trooper" safe in the knowledge that I'm replicating something which appeared several times on screen.

Ive been looking in to this as well , it seems that most troopers who actually have to do any stunts weather falling or getting jumped by Ewoks, or walking in uneven terrane seem to have the flat lense,

Ā 

Awsome set up, it fits you perfferctly , you are the right size for the ROTJ trooper look, really nice looking suit!

Edited by BGHUNTER

Ive been looking in to this as well , it seems that most troopers who actually have to do any stunts weather falling or getting jumped by Ewoks, or walking in uneven terrane seem to have the flat lense,

Ā 

Awsome set up, it fits you perfferctly , you are the right size for the ROTJ trooper look, really nice looking suit!

Ā 

Thanks, man. Glad to hear you'ev been looking in to the whole flat lens thing too. Nice to have some consensus.