Childrens stormtrooper suit

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe...but if your looking for a cheap trooper costume for your kid, this isn't it.

Ā 

I have had enquiries about these before and some people expect them to be cheap for some reason. I have just as many hours in these moulds as I have my adult suit and you will never find anything like these for kids on the planet. Just a friendly heads up :)

Ā 

If your serious about one, send me a PM.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe...but if your looking for a cheap trooper costume for your kid, this isn't it.

Ā 

I have had enquiries about these before and some people expect them to be cheap for some reason. I have just as many hours in these moulds as I have my adult suit and you will never find anything like these for kids on the planet. Just a friendly heads up :)

Ā 

If your serious about one, send me a PM.

Ā 

I can understand that this suit would not come cheap - it involves so much work for a 'one off'.

Ā 

Good to chat to you at Memorabilia, Paul - your son is a credit to you - great suit too :D

Ā 

Brian

post-4621-12703256435_thumb.jpg

Edited by vadersculptor

Thanks Brian.

Ā 

It was nice to see you and Lindsay again. I'll have to send you those photos of 'our friend' we was talking about ;)

Ā 

The next best thing you are going to get for your kid is this suit.

V3ffMu3.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

I wish I had taken more photos of them both together, just to see how much they differ.

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021

• 1 year later...

Okay, I am back working on the moulds again this weekend and hope to have a full suit ready for the end of the month so we can attend the Memorabilia event at the NEC. I have a lot of work ahead of me but hopefully I can find the time to finish the moulds and pull a suit in time.

Ā 

I am working on the right side of the suit first and then once they are done I will start on the left side. This will make it easier sizing everything up. The torso was a bit too rounded before so now I am widening it to make it more oval shaped and also extending it for his size. It has been over two years since I made one of these suits and my Son has grown a lot in that time as you will be able to see in the comparison photos below.

Ā 

New right thigh with old left thigh.

icEfSS2.jpg

Ā 

New right shin with old left shin.

WnMEYFc.jpg

Ā 

Forearms in progress.

ZE9Zg6J.jpg

Ā 

Ab plate in progress - cod untouched.

kqhiIgK.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I will try and update this thread often to show my progress. Hope you enjoy the photos and can see how much work goes into making these moulds.

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021

This is so cool! I'm happy you're back at working on these. Whilst I have no kids and don't intend on getting some any time soon, I'm happy for all the dads and moms out there. :)

Absolutely amazing. The pictures look like they are all perfectly tailored for him. Do you make them with any room for him to grow? It's pretty safe to say your son has one of the most impressive toys on the planet. Keep up the good work!

Just outstanding mate , and all the hard work and hours that go in to producing the next set of moulds is mind blowing :salute: , cant wait to see this one mate ;) , i reacon Luke is my hight now so i think i might go for this size TM :P , keep up the awsome work mate :duim:

Paul,

Ā 

This looks great.

Ā 

Are you using body filler for the moulds? I'm always interested in mould building, I've used so many different materials. I used a resin plaster called Acrystal Prima on my ROTJ moulds. It ain't cheap but it is nice to carve and shape. It comes out super smooth. I did degas the plaster in a vacuum chamber to rid it of bubbles. You can paint it into a moulds the slush cast a few layers then mix it with fiberglass strand and build it up like a mad pie type thing. Then you get hollow moulds but with high strength. Then make fiberglass moulds using a tight pull in 3mm HIPS of the plaster tool as the mould....

It's just regular car body filler. I find it is great to work with and I can form directly over it so no need to make any extra forming tools once the sculpts are finished. I've only worked with POP and Hurculite plasters before and don't really care for either, but never tried the one you mention Mark. I always have a hard time when adding extra plater on top of plaster and it never want to blend in smoothly. Plus, it's always been too brittle to use as forming tools so I stay away from it these days.

Ā 

My Son is 8 now and is 55" tall and weighs around 85/90 lbs if that helps calculate the size for your Son?

Ā 

These suits will fit kids shorter or taller just as any adult suit would with a bit of modding.

Ā 

Here are a few pics of what I got done yesterday. I did do more work on other parts but nothing exciting and worth showing just yet.

DSCF1878.jpg

DSCF1879.jpg

DSCF1877.jpg

Paul, you can form on The Acrystal Prima. I have been using these moulds since I started and they are still the same! It has a good heat and moisture resistance.

Ā 

I dug the info out for you...... You might find it interesting.

http://www.benam.co.uk/images/uploads/product_files/PRIMA-TECH.pdf

Ā 

You must go through a hell of alot of filler!!!

I don't really use that much. I buy two large tins and that usually does me. The sculpts are around 1/2" thick and I am only adding to the existing tools so it's not like I am starting from scratch.

Ā 

Thanks for the link. I'll give it good read later when I have more time :duim:

• 2 months later...

Work on these sculpts has been slow going again, but I have made some progress. Things are really starting to take shape and I am looking forward to pulling a test suit soon.

Ā 

Here is how everything is looking so far.

KnlGHhj.jpg

ukElQgP.jpg

Gz8KZDs.jpg

dfBjwyc.jpg

Ā 

tqi9KBb.jpg

nAv7JUf.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā