Its Here! !

Is about time! You know that feeling you get at a restaurant when you come back from the bathroom to find your food waiting on the table for you? well I had to come home early from work because I missed the UPS guy on friday. ( i think he just came and left the tag on the door personally)

Anyway I dozed off on the couch waiting for him and luckily I was able to wake up to his knocking.

So i unpacked and this is the first of another package im suppose to receive.

-------------

now i know what people mean about the FX armor manual :blink:

The helmet will be for fun until I get my "good" one but im pretty happy. im overwhelmed and not sure where to start, so I am gonna go have a look at Daves videos first ;)

cheers!

"i made my post here because i'll probably make updates and post a few questions if I run into snags."

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did my helmet first, but that's just me. I made the mistake of getting my glue a little thick and it dimpled the back traps.

You might have heard from the other guys here to put it together with blue painters tape for a roufh fit.

Most of all, post pics:)

I did my helmet first, but that's just me. I made the mistake of getting my glue a little thick and it dimpled the back traps.

You might have heard from the other guys here to put it together with blue painters tape for a roufh fit.

Most of all, post pics:)

Wyatt is a wise man.

I did mine armor first, and saved the helmet for last. It helped me learn how to use the glue without fearing I used too much, but the rough fit idea is a very good one.

It is very hard to find a good mix of the right amount of glue, not use too much, but not using too little.

Keep us posted, and congrats, trooper!!!

:trooper:

Wyatt is a wise man.

I did mine armor first, and saved the helmet for last. It helped me learn how to use the glue without fearing I used too much, but the rough fit idea is a very good one.

It is very hard to find a good mix of the right amount of glue, not use too much, but not using too little.

Keep us posted, and congrats, trooper!!!

:trooper:

Ive read conflicting stories about what to use as far as glue. I know some use epoxy. the syringe type with two tubes. I was sent this with my FX

cement.jpg

I could use this or go grab something better because if I run out by slim chance, i want to stay consistant.

anyway, you wanted pics so here is one of me working on the breather holes on the bucket.

helmet01.jpg

Dont u just luv UPS and Postal personal, i do they keep bring me all sots of stuff and i dont even know them!!!!! Looking good Fellixx and like said before

POST POST POST, PICS and every thing u do!!!!!!!

The ABS cement takes 24 hours to cure. I used Devcon plastic weld and it cures in 15 minutes. I love the plastic weld stuff, just make sure you keep it clamped the whole 15 minutes.

It's a great feeling when that big box of white goodness shows up at your doorstep.

Although that ABS cement takes 24 hours to cure it holds rock solid. The consistency is key and you can't find it everywhere,.

I actually liked the down time, it forced me to slow down, plan, pace and think about next steps.

I also started armor first which was a good idea since I over did the glue on my thighs but was okay with it, since it was thigh armor.

Keep going with progress pics, we all like seeing them.

The ABS cement takes 24 hours to cure. I used Devcon plastic weld and it cures in 15 minutes. I love the plastic weld stuff, just make sure you keep it clamped the whole 15 minutes.

It's a great feeling when that big box of white goodness shows up at your doorstep.

so you prefer the Devcon then?

hard to choose, taking a poll here :)

Finished with the holes:

helmet02.jpg

Good teeth, 6 means a HERO configuration.

reference http://www.whitearmor.net/requirements/standardANH.htm for more info if my statement makes your scratch your head.

interesting, i thought the 3 holes on each side was the stunt

EDIT: btw, its "smoke gray" on the teeth isnt it?

If this is your first time I would absolutely recommend NOT starting with the bucket, it is by far the hardest thing to do (not impossible but very scary). My personal recommendation would be to start with the chest and back piece and work your way out from there.It seems to me that everything, as far as trimming and fitting, seems to relate to the way the chest piece fits.

Cannot stress the point enough to SLOW DOWN!!! I know how it is, and you want that puppy finished and ready to wear. But it is better to go slow than to mess up!

I was lucky enough that a friend and I purchased our FX armor at the same time. Neither of us were members of the 501st at the time and we had no clue as to how to do it. We spent several Saturday mornings together just doing research and bouncing ideas off of each other. Here's a tip: Go to EVERY website you can find on armor assembly and check out the many, many different ways that people put theirs together and then decide what is best for you!! Do not just follow any one person's methods blindly. Not everything works for everybody. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!!! Test fit everything before cutting, gluing or adding snaps or rivets. When test fitting it is always best to have another person with you to look at it and help you hold it together. Something may feel good to you but not look right when completed and then it may be too late. If you are like us you will probably come up with some ideas of your own that work better for you than anybody else's ideas...

If you have ANY questions come here and post them or get on the 501st boards. If you are not a member of the 501st you will not be able to get on the official 501st board but go to the "contacts" part of the 501st boards and it will give you the links to individual garrisons and outposts and squads.Even on the public side of most of those boards there are costuming threads that can be very helpful. I personally went to every single one and checked out their tips first. and Yes that took a while to do but I cheated and did most of that during down time at work.

Two sets of brains working together is a major plus and two sets of hands is practically a must!! This doesn't mean you can't do it all by yourself but it really helps!!

I personally recommend the Devcon plastic welder. Also just throw away ALL the velcro that came with the kit and go buy industrial strength velcro. You can get it at Walmart as well as the snaps, straps, and plastic welder. Rivets, on the other hand, sometimes have to be bought at a hardware store. When buying rivets be sure to get washers for them. Also when gluing it is always better to sand the ABS areas and slightly score them before gluing, this helps the glue have something to grad onto and hold better.

Hope these tips help.

Hey Darrel,

Thanks a lot for all that. I will admit it would be a cool thing to have another person to work with on this but so far ive only come across one other in my area to shoot ideas with face to face. Before my kit came, I did a lot of research, watched instructional videos etc.

As far as the velcro goes, i took one look at it and laughed. There is a stire here in S.D. where I get a lot of my industrial needs that carry velcro in black AND in white. SO today on my break im going to hit up that place and grab some. after that ill head across the street to dixyline and grab some Devcon and some blue painters tape. If they have the smoke gray spray paint i need for the bucket, ill grab that too.

I met up with the 501st at con this year and signed up on the boards. im still waiting on the second package that contains the undersuit, shoes, etc so im not in a huge rush.

I watched a video last night on doing the sleeves (thanks Dave) and I like how its don. GLuing one side and velcroing the other.

I have experience working with leather and rubber as i used to make "stuff" out of my garage so I have a lot of snaps, d-rings- riveter, press, etc to make sure I get it done right.

I plan on using the snap system on my armor. I am hitting up the plastics place also on my brake to pick up some 15mm sheet so i can make the squares.

the only thing that has me a bit confused is the piece that is attached to the belt that wraps around your waste. mine doesnt have that. in my pic above, thats everything that came in the box.

ANywho, ill keep ya posted, cheers!

Congrats dude

The lid is always a good start. I can't remember where I started with my first one but when I've helped people since I always construct the kit as you would put it on.

i.e ab plate/back plate, then chest, the legs etc. Just my thoughts. That way you can see it grow and also see where to trim etc

the only thing that has me a bit confused is the piece that is attached to the belt that wraps around your waste. mine doesnt have that. in my pic above, thats everything that came in the box.

ANywho, ill keep ya posted, cheers!

I would contact the seller and ask them. You should have received at least 2, but usually 4 12-14" strips of ABS 3.5" wide. This is what is the "rest" of the belt. You can always convert it to a canvas, but I have found using the ABS strips is great for mounting rivets and other things inside the armor. If you are planning a snap system, this might be a good idea as well. I did a garter for my thigh pieces, and instead of using velcro, did black nylon riveted to an ABS strip on one end then an adjustable snap clip on the other end. Glue the rivet/ABS inside the thigh, and you are all set.

Not nearly as complex as I have made it sound, but I have used those strips for a ton of things while working on my armor.

Well said Scott. Those strips are very important. I think I ended up using like 6 on my TK. I had to pick up a couple extra for all the snaps, and goodies. Wish I would have started with a canvas belt which would have freed up 2 of the strips, but.... now I have more for my TD build.

you know ..I just finished mY FX Armor and I used CA Glue Medium consist. from Hobby store ....and 2 oz. Accellurator spray. they go hand and hand.. Its was perfect ...no 24 hour waiting and no heat from ABS glue. It is just as strong as ABS glue Anyone else use CA Glue and Accell. Worked perfect for me. Peace, Allan

Great news!

Congratulations!

Nice job on the teeth... I am sure you will do a fantastic job just take your time and keep the pictures coming.

Good luck

TK-6044 Dave

:salute:

Finished the sleeves and the biceps last night. I used the technique from your vids dave and they worked like a charm, only problem i ran into on one sleeve was that i had to dig out some painters tape from the seem. Apparently I went to close with it.

I watched your shin video and I think im going to look for some clams that will reach the center. I didnt have the big clamps like you had in the vid so i was forced to hold the seem by hand.

Was up late so I didnt have time to edit any photos, ill do that later tonight perhaps. Tonight is Warhammer40K night (Wednesday)

BTW, the Locktite epoxy worked like a charm.

Also, on the Biceps, i'm not sure if I should keep the velcro on one side. I dont see myself becoming extremely buff in the future even though i work out. But for now its not hurting anything.

cheers!

Got the rest of my goods today. The body suit is a little concerning. Even though there is a zipper that goes from the center neck to just passed my belly button, how does one ............ use the bathroom?

picked up the batting helmet,new clamps and some more epoxy glue also. I should be adding some pics later

how does one ............ use the bathroom?

Very carefully..... and take your time zipping up.. :lol:

Got the rest of my goods today. The body suit is a little concerning. Even though there is a zipper that goes from the center neck to just passed my belly button, how does one ............ use the bathroom?

Go before your troop :lol: :lol:

Some guys have a zipper installed, but you need access, so that is where the split cod piece came in. I will say that in my trooping experience so far (which is not much), I have yet to have to go while in armor. I think Celebration IV I did 8 - 10 hours a day several days, and because of the extra effort you expend and heat your body produces, most water is used up, thus no need to pee.

I did keep myself hydrated, just never needed to go.