Too short to be a stormtrooper?

Guest jedislayer5000

My wife who is 5'0" to 5'1" wants to be a shadow trooper and wanting to know if there's armor out there to fit the female form and her height?

should be able to trim almost any kit to fit, will have to do alot of trimming but it can be done.. or could try jawa :P

Honestly?

I would say another costume would suit her better.

It may not be the "politically corect" answer but what would you rather? The truth or a false platitude to make you both feel better?

At 5ft she will be inundate with the " aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper" comment where ever she troops. This could easily lead to disheartenment / annoyance on her part.

Better that she picks a costume better suited to her that she gets nothing other than compliments for than one that is going to be potentially knocked by those with no sense of respect.

Afterall, would she venture out in a dress size that was unflattering ?

Regardless of choice I wish her the very best in her costuming pusuits. :D

I've seen shorter troopers pull off a TK just fine in AP and ATA. You just need the patience and skill to trim it to fit.

I'm 5'08" and I've heard plenty of idiots ask "Aren't you a little short...?" People just look for a reason to spout off a line to sound cheeky in front of their friends. Don't ask me how often I've been asked if I like donuts when I was working uniformed patrol.

Bottom line of my 2 pennies: If you want to portray a character of your choice, go for it and try to do it well. Shorter TKs standing next to a Vader on a troop will make him (or her) look taller anyway.

You can try one of the more screen accurate size kits, like ATA, TE2, AP... but you will have to do a lot of trimming to make the armor fit her.

Or may I suggest this...

Shadow Scout, this way your wife still gets to have the black armor style like the Shadow Trooper, but with the Biker scout armor that will fit her better.

---------------

Or maybe one of these.......

Boushh,(Leia's bounty Hunter disguise in Jabba's Palace):

-----------

Mara Jade (Emperor's Hand):

501st CRL

-------

Imperial Officer:

---------

-----------

Tie Pilot:

--------

Imperial Navy trooper:

--------

Deathstar gunner:

--------

AT-ST driver:

-------

--------

Anyone of these that I mentioned above might work better for her.

My .02¢

BTW, let us know what she ends up going with...

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Well, if Mark Hamill could fit into one of those armors, then so can your wife. Perhaps AP/ABS-80 armor is the best bet for a nice fit?

This is something that has always perplexed me. Mark Hamill is 5' 9", which is by no means, short. Sure he looked short-ish standing next to Harrison Ford, who is 6' 1", but it's not like he is the same stature as Ronnie James Dio.

Also Temuera Morrison is only 5' 7", which IS kind of short.... meaning that all the clones were 5' 7"..... you get where I'm going.

Leia's "short" line pretty much wrecked it for the vertically challenged. If she hadn't of said that, then we would never hear the public say anything about TK height.

• Like 1

I'm 5'5" and my AP armour hurts! Ok, I didn't trim it, if I did I would loose all the cool return edges and it would look a bit off. I made myself a bikerscout for using at events where I need to walk a lot, and I must say I am much more happy with it. A biker is so much more fun for me because I can move in it! Trooping has a new dimention now: FUN!

I would not recommend a TK to anyone my size, unless they really know what they are going to. You can't move, you get tons of comments, everyone else in the same costume is a lot higher than you etc. When I did my biker, I found that most of the people with that costume were my height, and I felt a lot more "home" in parades, pictures etc.

Being 5 inches lower than me, well, I wouldn't have chosen a TK. ;)

I was in the same boat...I am almost 5'0" ;). I really like the TK look, but after I saw the 501st guys in action, I knew I would just look silly trooping with them in armor. I am going for Juno Eclipse, but regular Imperial Officer like shown above is a good choice too. (That first one is HOT!)

There are some good tailors over on Imperial Officer, ;) or PM me if you want the contact info for my Juno Maker. B)

Julie

This is something that has always perplexed me. Mark Hamill is 5' 9", which is by no means, short. Sure he looked short-ish standing next to Harrison Ford, who is 6' 1", but it's not like he is the same stature as Ronnie James Dio.

Also Temuera Morrison is only 5' 7", which IS kind of short.... meaning that all the clones were 5' 7"..... you get where I'm going.

Leia's "short" line pretty much wrecked it for the vertically challenged. If she hadn't of said that, then we would never hear the public say anything about TK height.

I don't believe for a second Mark Hamill is 5'9''.

For the record I met some of the original troopers this year at an event and I was shocked that they were generally not tall guys.

• Like 1

I don't believe for a second Mark Hamill is 5'9''.

For the record I met some of the original troopers this year at an event and I was shocked that they were generally not tall guys.

IMDB has him at 5' 9", as do some other sources on the net.

I have met many people who have their height listed on sites such as IMDB as one thing where in actuallity they are another. How many times have you been to a con only to be surprised that the actor you see is not as tall as you imagined.

The list above forgets a snowtrooper!

Super cool costume and with the added option of a hidden height boost

Snowies wear Canadian military mukluks and therefore she can wear her own sneakers inside the mukluks and gain 3" from nowhere

A complete snowy isn't much more than a $1000 :)

I'm 5.7" and think I maybe a little shirt but its the fit not the height that can make TKs look odd

I actually think I'm ok in my TK I just like my snowy better

John

i've been on stage with mark hamill. i am 5' 9". he was not as tall as me.

i tend to agree that 5.0 is a bit on the small side. i've seen it work. the armor can be trimmed and fitted well. but she would always be getting short jokes.

i've been on stage with mark hamill. i am 5' 9". he was not as tall as me.

i tend to agree that 5.0 is a bit on the small side. i've seen it work. the armor can be trimmed and fitted well. but she would always be getting short jokes.

She gets short jokes without armor, she's use to them.

I'd be more concerned if she was going white TK being compared to other TK's in the group but since it's a TX which isn't cannon anyway she could get away with it.

I'm thinking of getting a AM kit with maybe a AP helmet to try to offset the fact I'll be cutting away alot off the AM kit to get it to fit right.

• Like 1

She gets short jokes without armor, she's use to them.

I'd be more concerned if she was going white TK being compared to other TK's in the group but since it's a TX which isn't cannon anyway she could get away with it.

I'm thinking of getting a AM kit with maybe a AP helmet to try to offset the fact I'll be cutting away alot off the AM kit to get it to fit right.

TX not CANON? Wait a minute we have our own detachment forums 501st Special Ops Detachment I started out first as a TX and still am. If the public start reciting the "Aren't you short for a stormtrooper" line (which they ALWAYS do) I say I'm not a stormtrooper, am a BLACKHOLE Stormtrooper :P One benefit of being a short TK/TX is that most of the time you'll be asked to be next to Darth Vader (if one is present) to make him look bigger :D

Iam 5.5 with boots on 5.6 i have 2mm TM armour the only bits i had to realy trim out a bit more was the bottom of the butt peice well some of the return edge because it was catching on the back of the thighs at the top when i was walking but thats fine because in the screen used suits there is hardley any returns on certern parts , and also i managed to have the butt piece sit up higher over the back of the kidney . i was having big problams with the chest and back plate over laping the abb buttons and the back plate over laping the top of the kidney , a option was to go the Luke method and cut the bottom of the chest and back plate but did not want to do that , so what i did being very carefull was to heat gun the chest and back plates tabs but i do advize take your time and bend them slowly and test fit inbeetween and what this dose is lift the chest and back plate up by an inch and to finish it of i have some shoulder pads under the under suit to fill the gap and belivie it or not its very comfy to , so now i have the bottom of the chest 1 inch over the abb bottons and 3mm gap inbetween the bottom of the back plate and top of the kidney.

I get it all the time oh your a little short for a stormtrooper but one of my fellow UKG troopers said to me just give the reply oh and your a little tall to be a ewok works every time ;)

TX not CANON? Wait a minute we have our own detachment forums 501st Special Ops Detachment I started out first as a TX and still am. If the public start reciting the "Aren't you short for a stormtrooper" line (which they ALWAYS do) I say I'm not a stormtrooper, am a BLACKHOLE Stormtrooper :P One benefit of being a short TK/TX is that most of the time you'll be asked to be next to Darth Vader (if one is present) to make him look bigger :D

:blink: Ok what I should have said is MOVIE CANON. But you prove my point that since there's not reference to a Blackhole Stormtrooper other than in comics and video games, the general public doesn't know how tall one should be so you get lumped in with your white armor counterparts. :rolleyes::)

• 4 weeks later...

I am 5'4" guy and about to start a AP stormtrooper very shortly (pun intended). It was something that took me 6 months to finally accept when it came to my height, beign 35yo it has been a real self-esteme killer at times. But my last troop in my 8 foot tall Wampa suit, I noticed in the Tampa Bay Squad we got quite a few troopers under 5'8" and it finally clicked. The Too Short joke is inevidable, like water on a duck I will just let any mockery roll off my back and commit to building my TK.

Here in Florida with Disney in our back yard, there is a lot more oportunities available with a TK compared to my other suit and it is nearly impossible to do a children's hospital in a lumbersome Wampa. I, like many of you, have my long wish list and there are costumes on my list that would better fit my height but I really want to honor the history of the 501st. It started with Albin and his TK, it seems only natural to have one for myself. Besides I can say that I won't be the shortest trooper, we got shorter in our Squad!