having to pay to go troop what you think?

Quebectrooper

An event coordinator asked us if we'd like to troop at his next event but we'd have to pay to get in and to set up our table . :blink:

All of the events i've done so far with my Garrison we had all of that for free with a room to change and sometimes a free meal.

Some members of my Garrison on a forum said they'll do it anyways but if we start that, all the event organisations are gonna charge us. I see that we are important at those events and the public appreciates us.

I charge a lot of money for my circus show at special events but i troop for free as a 501st member and i believe we should have a minimum of things like free entrance and a free space for our table.

Come on ! :unsure:

What is your opinion.

Edited by Quebectrooper

Usually the attraction of having us at an event is payment enough, however, some event coordinators don't see that. Also, on the flip side, we are just geeks in costumes that do this for fun ;)

I remember hearing from the old dogs about the early days of fanexpo where we were like everyone else, changed in the parking lot and paid to get in the con. However, once the organizers saw the draw we brought, they quickly starting accomodating.

If it is an event you would like to attend, I would simply pay entrance and watch the organizers faces as they see you get swarmed for photos. I would guess you wouldn't be paying next year ;)

My 2 cents :)

Southern Cross Garrisons main event every year is an event called Supanova. We get 2 tables every year. Costs us $480. For this, we get 6 tickets to the event. We then get as many entry tickets as we can use, at $25 a ticket.

What makes a 501st member any different from every other fan group member? We shouldn't be expecting any special privileges, just because we are members of the 501st Legion.

The 501st Legion rocked CV, but we still had to pay to get in.

Usually the attraction of having us at an event is payment enough, however, some event coordinators don't see that. Also, on the flip side, we are just geeks in costumes that do this for fun ;)

I remember hearing from the old dogs about the early days of fanexpo where we were like everyone else, changed in the parking lot and paid to get in the con. However, once the organizers saw the draw we brought, they quickly starting accomodating.

If it is an event you would like to attend, I would simply pay entrance and watch the organizers faces as they see you get swarmed for photos. I would guess you wouldn't be paying next year ;)

My 2 cents :)

100% agree.

No one should expect special privileges, but if your garrison is there at the event organizer's request - AND expects you to pay to get in - that's out of bounds. If you were simply going as another group of fans, then of course you pay.

If you're going as part of the show and to (indirectly) bring more paying guests to the event - again at the event coordinator's request - asking you to foot the bill for his profit is an insult. You already "work" for free. What's next - mopping the floors afterward? :angry:

Personally I will not go to any event where I am "requested", if they want me to pay to get in.... Silly. To me thats like me calling you up and saying hey wanna come over for a BBQ??? Can you buy all the food too???

Right on Mike, that's how i feel.

Want it or not this is Showbiz. Once you put your suit on your doing a show just standing there. Don't tell me Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca ) Lando and other special guests don't get paid for coming over and just rely on selling photos and autographs. We don't charge for a good show and it should be free for us!

Edited by Quebectrooper

Actually they do not always get paid for selling their autographs. At Comic-Con they have to pay for a booth so they can pimp their wares just like everybody else. If they are invited by "officiial pics" or something I could see them getting paid though, for sure.

Hmm...it depends. For conventions we do pay for things like electricity but usually get free passes as exhibitors. Steve Sansweet himself has said - and I heard this first hand from his mouth in person - that we should never pay to troop. By that he means if the drive is more than a few hours, we can ask for gas money. If we need lodging, they pay for it. If the troop is more than a few hours long they provide snacks and if during meal times, meals as well.

As noted, unless it's a charity we also request a donation for us to appear.

Actually they do not always get paid for selling their autographs. At Comic-Con they have to pay for a booth so they can pimp their wares just like everybody else. If they are invited by "officiial pics" or something I could see them getting paid though, for sure.

Mike's right, this is the case for most cons, although the $500 booth fee is worth the tens of thousands they make in sales ;)

One thing that i could see being beneficial to a garrison with doing the "pay to troop" concept is keeping a garrison "Cash Kitty". almost like paying really low garrison dues. Garrisons would be able to keep small amounts of cash on hand to help out with such things as booths and rooms at conventions and events. its important to keep it non profit, but if as individuals in the garrison keeping a little garrison petty cash could come in handy....maybe even help fund garrison parties.

One thing that i could see being beneficial to a garrison with doing the "pay to troop" concept is keeping a garrison "Cash Kitty". almost like paying really low garrison dues. Garrisons would be able to keep small amounts of cash on hand to help out with such things as booths and rooms at conventions and events. its important to keep it non profit, but if as individuals in the garrison keeping a little garrison petty cash could come in handy....maybe even help fund garrison parties.

Alas, that's come up from time to time and always gets shot down. We can't make money on aught we do, and having garrison treasurers has always been seen as the first step in a slippery slope we don't want to fall down. It's better in the long run to pay-as-you-go for all items. My $.02...

Personally I will not go to any event where I am "requested", if they want me to pay to get in.... Silly. To me thats like me calling you up and saying hey wanna come over for a BBQ??? Can you buy all the food too???

Mike, I was thinking of inviting you over for a BBQ, but...nevermind.

This is interesting, and delicate at least.

I remember a few years back in my first troops that we were just like anyone else, just with great costumes. We paid for our tickets, we just wander around the con floors and that was it. We changed on the parking lot or wherever we could and even if we entered marching, it was because we wanted to do it.

Then organizers started to request our presence and started giving us free entrance, then a small table in the corner, and now at the biggest con in Mexico we have the biggest stand for free.

There have been some other events where we even get presents like action figures and stuff. There has been a debate whether we should accept those presents, or give them to charity or what. No much agreed on that side to date.

Anyway, I do think that if our presence is requested, we should not pay for trooping, expect at least a few water bottles and a safe place to change and keep our stuff. Yes, we are geeks on cool costumes, but we also attract lots of ppl paying lots of money.

I also think that even if we should expect a few things from the organizers like I mentioned, we should not go as far as asking for free tickets for us and our families, lunch, paid parking spaces (there is practically no free parking in Mexico City), a stand, and other stuff. I mention this cause over my Garrison, ppl think that we should ask for all that and more, conditioning our presence to having all that stuff. I mean, we can take it if offered, but I wouldn't go as far as asking for all that as a must have.

There have been times that big events, like Adidas ESB collection event, where they fly ppl from all over the country, pay for tickets, accommodation, food, and other stuff. But that is only with Adidas, Hasbro, not even with LFL, not yet. HEHEHE..

So. No paying to troop when requested.

But not expecting to be paid for expenses either.

Thats MHO.

:D

Saludos.

This is interesting, and delicate at least.

I remember a few years back in my first troops that we were just like anyone else, just with great costumes. We paid for our tickets, we just wander around the con floors and that was it. We changed on the parking lot or wherever we could and even if we entered marching, it was because we wanted to do it.

Then organizers started to request our presence and started giving us free entrance, then a small table in the corner, and now at the biggest con in Mexico we have the biggest stand for free.

There have been some other events where we even get presents like action figures and stuff. There has been a debate whether we should accept those presents, or give them to charity or what. No much agreed on that side to date.

Anyway, I do think that if our presence is requested, we should not pay for trooping, expect at least a few water bottles and a safe place to change and keep our stuff. Yes, we are geeks on cool costumes, but we also attract lots of ppl paying lots of money.

I also think that even if we should expect a few things from the organizers like I mentioned, we should not go as far as asking for free tickets for us and our families, lunch, paid parking spaces (there is practically no free parking in Mexico City), a stand, and other stuff. I mention this cause over my Garrison, ppl think that we should ask for all that and more, conditioning our presence to having all that stuff. I mean, we can take it if offered, but I wouldn't go as far as asking for all that as a must have.

There have been times that big events, like Adidas ESB collection event, where they fly ppl from all over the country, pay for tickets, accommodation, food, and other stuff. But that is only with Adidas, Hasbro, not even with LFL, not yet. HEHEHE..

So. No paying to troop when requested.

But not expecting to be paid for expenses either.

Thats MHO.

:D

Saludos.

Amen brother! :)

Pay to troop?

I'd rather spend the money on toys for kids in a hospital.

If all that's offered to me was paying to troop, I'll just go to hospital missions and skip the rest. Or leave the 501st altogether.

I'm into all of this for the kids.

It's nice being offered hotels, meals and plane tickets, but I'm sure I'll not attend an event if they just offer that. I don't want money being spent on me, I want them to donate for kids in hospitals. And I'm very serious about that.

I made 11 missions in the last 6 month just to collect donations for the children in hospitals we're going to visit this friday and saturday. And I want my time and effort being spent on them. Not a silly convention.

Sorry, but I think is a terrible idea.

Again, if you have money to spend, spend it on the kids.

I like damian's thinking here.

and I also think that events like conventions, are different than requested events, that is of course when a garrison is requested

to an event such as a convention a rider, or contract should include: changing room.

I don't personally see any problem with payment for parking, or tickets.

but it is a nice gift to receive.

all other aspects of the troop such as table rent would not be something that we'd pay for because we're not selling anything at the table.

so that table would be considered a charity gift on the event organizer's budget.

I think it also would be a good idea for garrisons to ask for a charity gift, and event elements that directly

bring the charity element to the forefront- such as contests, raffles for star wars related toys.

with all proceeds being announced at the 501st table with a "donations collected" sign showing

the event's collection running total, with signs from the charity supported.

I think having a donation total for the charity after every troop would be really cool!

you know? like a thermometer sign?

I have been invited to a barbeque and then asked to pay to attend. guess waht, we didn't go....

Same applies to trooping, I don't mind paying for transport and food but would not pay to go on a 'sanctioned ' troop.

It's a tough one. Normally we provide entertainment and add value to events, so we shouldn't pay to get in, no.

....But who asked who?

If we've asked an event if we can come, and not the other way around then they're doing us a favour by saying yes come along and play.

If they then charge, it's a slightly different matter as they didn't ask us initially

Its a tough one as without events, it gets a little boring just wearing your costume at home in your bedroom :) lol

We do this, hopefully for an audience. If you have to pay for that audience, then that's up to you. Tricky question