Hand painting an ANH helmet build

I have just finished spray painting a TE2 helmet that was sent to me. In the next few days I will be hand painting it and taking lots of pics and maybe some video. Its gonna look sweet when its all done!!!

Here are the videos Ive posted so far..

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Edited by TK-4510

I'm just replying so it's easier to get updates. As a beneficiary of several of your helmets (just missing the ANH Stunt!), I'm eager to watch. :)

Can't wait to watch Mike... I got the popcorn and sodapop ready!!

Ā 

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I have just finished spray painting a TE2 helmet that was sent to me. In the next few days I will be hand painting it and taking lots of pics and maybe some video. Its gonna look sweet when its all done!!!

Ā 

....He's Back in the saddle again,...Back in the saddle again cowboy.gif

Ā 

:D

Ā 

Now, this is something that I'm REEEEELY looking forward to B)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mike,

Ā 

Is this one of yours? It's one of my favorite pieces in my collection. The attention to detail is outstanding and if I didn't know better I would think I was looking at an original....

Ā 

--------------

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

If not I'll pull it down but if it is , Thanks!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Anyone paintinga New Hope helmet has to realise that two differant shades of HDPE were used , so best to do the cap chips a slightly darker green than the face plate chips. :)

Hi Rob,

I'm not sure that's strictly true for all ANH helmets. There would have been some discrepancy in the colour of HDPE just through the manufacturing process from sheet to sheet and different batches.But if the same sheet was used for the whole helmet then the faceplate would be the same colour as the back n cap. The one you've seen may well be but not all. I've seen the same HDPE in SDS's workshop and the parts I saw were all the same shade.

Looking good Mike :duim:

Ā 

I think to avoid the paint running under your masking templates you might consider brushing from the outside inwards. Brushing the paint in one direction is forcing it under the template. If you start from the edges and into the middle then you have less chance of runs IMO.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...