Ahhhh someone help with my back/chest plate assembly

I am trying to figure out how best to fit my back/chest plate assembly. I know a lot of people glue the bridges onto both sides, but I'm not certain I want to do that (unless its my only option). I hear a lot of cracking and such happens down the road. I tried a method with industrial velcro that I found, but it seems to not sit correctly when I try it this way. (probably because my shoulders are broad) Any suggestions? If I need to glue down the bridge onto the back/chest then I will, but just seeing if there are any other good options, thanks!

I'd advise not gluing the bridges to both front and back and certainly not using them for structural connectivity. You should use white strap (I use 2") to connect the chest/back (attaching to the underside) to hold them together. The bridges should be attached only to the front (using velcro or adhesive), and just let them rest on the backs (no velcro, etc. required).

On my first suit I used the bridges to connect the chest/back (using rivets in my case) and but wish I never had. For the second suit I used the above method - much better. :)

Sorry I don't have pix - this is becoming a standard patterns so I'm sure someone else does.

This is what i did, works okay, but there is always room for work.

Hope this works. BUT WHAT EVER you do get as much info from other tropers and try to see there set ups.

aceal1Y.jpg

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore the image by Sly11, 2020

Hi Del,

The plastic shoulder straps are purely cosmetic. The original armour had them glued to the chest plate only, and were free at the back plate. A thin white elastic strap was sewn to the real shoulder strap which is actually under the armour, and kept the plastic strap 'in place'.. White webbing or canvas approx 40mm-50mm wide that was glued to the back plate and had a snaps along it to attach to a snap on the chest plate. You could put a snap at each end to make it easier. Take a look at my suit to give you an idea.

Chyd67R.jpg

Cheers,

-Paul.

Edited by Sly11

Hi Del,

The plastic shoulder straps are purely cosmetic. The original armour had them glued to the chest plate only, and were free at the back plate. A thin white elastic strap was sewn to the real shoulder strap which is actually under the armour, and kept the plastic strap 'in place'.. White webbing or canvas approx 40mm-50mm wide that was glued to the back plate and had a snaps along it to attach to a snap on the chest plate.

Cheers,

-Paul.

DAMN. Error number 10,000 on my armor. Where was this site when I was building last year??? WHERE???? I ask you WHERE.

Great info. Looks like I am doomed to have to replace my chest and back eventually so I will keep this thread in mind when I get the eventual damage....

troopermaster said:
Hi Del,

The plastic shoulder straps are purely cosmetic. The original armour had them glued to the chest plate only, and were free at the back plate. A thin white elastic strap was sewn to the real shoulder strap which is actually under the armour, and kept the plastic strap 'in place'.. White webbing or canvas approx 40mm-50mm wide that was glued to the back plate and had a snaps along it to attach to a snap on the chest plate. You could put a snap at each end to make it easier. Take a look at my suit to give you an idea.

Chyd67R.jpg

Cheers,

-Paul.

Hey Paul,

Do you also have a snap underneath the bridge as an intermediate between the back and front? Just wondering how you keep the white strap from slipping out and showing from beneath the bridge during troops.

Edited by Sly11

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so on all those pics, are people gluing the strap to the front pc? I see the back will be velcroed on and the strap won't be used for actual support, but how are you attaching the strip to the chest plate?

Thanks,

JT

Out of the many different Stormtroopers I've seen, I've seen many different methods and mediums. My shoulder straps are made out of vinyl baseboard and velcroed underneath

; the ribbed platic 'strap' is velcroed down and hides it.

You are right though, in that the ribbed plastic straps will crack easily.

OK, so on all those pics, are people gluing the strap to the front pc? I see the back will be velcroed on and the strap won't be used for actual support, but how are you attaching the strip to the chest plate?

Thanks,

JT

I'm using velcro in the front and nothing in the back for now as my suit will probably go sandy at some point. If I were to stay TK, I'd glue just the fronts. There is no need to secure them to the the back

I'm using velcro in the front and nothing in the back for now as my suit will probably go sandy at some point. If I were to stay TK, I'd glue just the fronts. There is no need to secure them to the the back

I guess I'll go that route as I don't like the idea of gluing. It does look very nice with the fronts glued down. Too bad there is no 'temporary' gluing method that I am aware of that one could use and somehow undo without the possibility of mangling the armor. Elmer's glue perhaps? Anyone ever tried that?

troopermaster said:
Hi Del,

Chyd67R.jpg

Cheers,

-Paul.

This is not how the originals was done.

TE

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
can the strap be riveted to the front??

if yes is it one or two rivets.

thanks

You can rivet. Some folks use one, I used two on my first FX. Never do it again, both from an aesthetic POV, and also because I found having the fabric understraps to be better than using the plastic overstraps as structural support.

can the strap be riveted to the front??

if yes is it one or two rivets.

thanks

I will chime in here from a "Deployment ONLY" perspective.

Since this would not be considered "film accurate" it would be an issue IF you ever wanted to move towards "Elite" status.

Now before my inbox gets blown up with PM's on this, I am not saying you can't do it. One of the best troopers as far as trooping goes this year has his riveted (and he used two on the front and on the back). Looks just fine as far as the fans are concerned, and most people hardly notice the white rivets. Also, he used nylon strapping underneath, so it is much stronger.

He could have done the rivets to the chest and back plate on just the nylon, and then placed the straps over the top, but to each his own. I am in the process of converting mine to the straps from industrial Velcro, similar to what Paul did.

Also, just to chime in, this is not helpful:

This is not how the originals was done.

TE

I am not picking on Matt, just simply using his post to show how we can do better at helping out fellow troopers who want it.

I think the options provided are great here, I just want make sure we chime in to be helpful, I certainly hope I was. If I read this later and it was of no help, I will moderate myself and delete the post. :lol:

:trooper:

I'll chime in on this too. :)

The way I do 'mine' is close to the films but I cant know how close as I never saw one up close. I can only guess and have a chat with AA.

My back plate is NOT connected to the shoulder bridge. The bridge is formed in a curve yes but just sits there, like the movies. (I actually use magnets) I'm not sure what the white cord like stuff is, but if you look close it appears to be held down with some sort of white string/elastic

I connect my chest and back plate with black elastic velcro that sits underneath the shoulder bridge

The front chest plate is held to the shoulder strap with magnets (Im sure they just glued them in the films)

My shoulder bells are held around my neck with a brace like thing that goes around my neck and under my neck seal. This way there is no load on the frail and fragile shoulder bridge straps.

Which I sell spares of by the way. Cough ;)