AP ANH armor progress

John,

I had the same problem on my AP armor. I aligned the front perfectly first, and then, I trimmed the back flush. It doesn't even show now!

Curtis,

Can you tell me how the heck you got both the front and back molded edges at the top of the left calve to match up because mine don't line up at all. You can see in the photo below that if you match up the front lipped-edge, then the back will be way off. If you line up the back, the front will be way off. I asked on the RPF and everyone said that the sniper-plate will cover it up. That may be true but I see from your pics that you got them to match up perfectly. Can you help here?

Thanks a lot,

John

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curtis,

After more than a few months, I still didn't fix my knee pad, I can't figure how to do this since it just won't fit properly on my AP shin.

Is it possible to show both side of your finished and attached knee plate. I'm curious to see how you managed to make it fit correctly as I can't seem to do it here? :(

Thanks,

Al

Hey Troops,

I've finished my shins and attached the knee plate today.

I used the same method as Dave's Videos again and they turned out great.

I attached the knee plate with white rivets. First I taped the plate to the shin and then drilled the holes, it was much easier to keep the plate even.

Tomorrow I will glue the thighs and then start doing my webbing and canvas belt mod. Everything is coming along nice and smooth and I hope thats the way my 501'st approval and deployment status goes. :D

Here are some pics of todays project.

stormtrooper098.jpg

stormtrooper096.jpg

Till next time,

Curtis

Instead of utilizing rivets to attach the knee plate to the shin try white nylon screws. They are the right color & if anything ever goes wrong you just need to unscrew them & replace. I try to make as many things easily removable as possible for any unforeseen future problems.

Thank you Alain and Curtis. I will make sure the fronts line up and then go from there. Sounds good to me.

TK0084 - I like the idea of these 'nylon screws' you mentioned though I had never heard of them. I imagine you get them at Home Depot or some place like that, yeah?

Curtis,

After more than a few months, I still didn't fix my knee pad, I can't figure how to do this since it just won't fit properly on my AP shin.

Is it possible to show both side of your finished and attached knee plate. I'm curious to see how you managed to make it fit correctly as I can't seem to do it here? :(

Thanks,

Al

Hey Al,

Here are pics of both sides as requested.

Curtis :D

stormtrooper375.jpg

stormtrooper376.jpg

Hey Troops,

I'd thought I would show you the Skullworx kit and the mic mod I had to do with it.

My AP helmet is small so there isn't much room for electronics much less my head... The kit came with a non powered, rather cheap computer headset/mic which has been cut up and separated into a mic with an earphone and a earphone on the other side, both of which are to big for my helmet when I am putting it on. The kit also came with some faucet tips wrapped with elect. tape just like the ones that came with my kit, but with speakers installed. I've replaced them with the Hovi-Mix tips and speakers from Stomper and they sound much better.

stormtrooper366.jpg

I found this unidirectional powered mic headset from R.S. and just cut the mic with boom off the headset. This mic has a lot less feedback than the other one and I will be able to mount it in the chin. The biggest challenge is installing everything in my bucket and then be able to take it on and off. Almost done modding the batting helmet liner to fit more comfortable also.

stormtrooper368.jpg

stormtrooper370.jpg

stormtrooper372.jpg

stormtrooper374.jpg

Thank you Alain and Curtis. I will make sure the fronts line up and then go from there. Sounds good to me.

TK0084 - I like the idea of these 'nylon screws' you mentioned though I had never heard of them. I imagine you get them at Home Depot or some place like that, yeah?

Yes, I picked them up @ Ace Hardware. They are a 2 piece set, sometimes called chicago screws. You need to trim down the screw & other end to fit but because they are nylon they are easy to properly trim down.

I don't know what Ace calls them but you want to find something like the item pictured in this link but in white.

http://www.screwpost.com/index.php?cPath=2...b902694f91a503e

Thanks for the pix Curtis, I couldn't find one of the front though.

Because if I end up being able to twist my knee pad enough here to look like yours on both side, the face view shows it not properly straight. I'll go get some pictures.

TK-4261, with all the mods you did to your skullworx it probably would have been a lot cheaper to just make the rig yourself

Lesson learned :D

Curtis

Curtis you are a legend mate, this thread is awesome!! I have just ordered an AP kit and was gettin slightly anxious about building it ... but after reading this thread i reckon i can follow it like a guide, and everything (hopefully!!) will be ok :)

Great work and thanks for all the info you've provided! ;)

Curtis you are a legend mate, this thread is awesome!! I have just ordered an AP kit and was gettin slightly anxious about building it ... but after reading this thread i reckon i can follow it like a guide, and everything (hopefully!!) will be ok :)

Great work and thanks for all the info you've provided! ;)

While I haven't read this whole thread I would say that you shouldn't be anxious about building an AP kit. If you have modest model building skills then this kit is pretty easy to but together. I suggest that you research different methods on different sites that people use to build their kits while you are awaiting delivery of yours. Then by the time you get it you will have a clear direction on what method you are going to use & you will have it put together in no time.

I built mine in 2 weeks by utilizing the method above. I have fans, mic, & speakers in the helmet from day 1 but be slightly careful on how you trim certain parts. You can recover but they are meant to be cut certain ways. If you are uncertain ask here or contact the builder, he is very quick to get back to you & always willing to give proper advice.

Good luck.

While I haven't read this whole thread I would say that you shouldn't be anxious about building an AP kit. If you have modest model building skills then this kit is pretty easy to but together. I suggest that you research different methods on different sites that people use to build their kits while you are awaiting delivery of yours. Then by the time you get it you will have a clear direction on what method you are going to use & you will have it put together in no time.

I built mine in 2 weeks by utilizing the method above. I have fans, mic, & speakers in the helmet from day 1 but be slightly careful on how you trim certain parts. You can recover but they are meant to be cut certain ways. If you are uncertain ask here or contact the builder, he is very quick to get back to you & always willing to give proper advice.

Good luck.

Agreed.

My advice is dont rush it and just have fun.

There are plenty of places on the web with help and assistance - here's a nice site with a great tutorial on adding poppers, well worth a look. http://www.tonybarnett.plus.com/

More in my links section

Cheers

Jez

Agreed.

There are plenty of places on the web with help and assistance - here's a nice site with a great tutorial on adding poppers, well worth a look. http://www.tonybarnett.plus.com/

nice page! :D

Agreed.

More in my links section

Cheers

Jez

Thats exactly right Jez,

The first site I came across after the 501st site was TK-300's (Tony Barnett) and that site made me decide that I was going to get a set of armor. Then I came across Star Wars Helmets and on that site I decided that I was going to get the GF/AP Kit. Then finally I found a home at the FISD :) This has been the only forum based site that everyone is willing to help each other and give support, Very Cool. The above sites that are mentioned are bookmarked along with a few others such as Dave's Videos on You Tube, MEPD, TK-409 and my fellow Southern California Garrison troopers site. All of these sites have given me much needed and helpful information.

It has taken me 3 months to put together my armor and helmet with a couple of hours a night, but I am very happy with the results of taking my time.

curtis..these pictures just bring a tear to my eye.

Ive seen this develop from an acorn and all the effort that has gone into it.

Curtis you are a stormtrooper legend.

Pure class all the way.

Thanks for sharing this amazing journey.

cheers mate

curtis..these pictures just bring a tear to my eye.

Ive seen this develop from an acorn and all the effort that has gone into it.

Curtis you are a stormtrooper legend.

Pure class all the way.

Thanks for sharing this amazing journey.

cheers mate

Thanks Chef,

I should be cooking you dinner for a comment like that :D