Any Fat Stormtroopers Out There?

Hey All,

I was just wondering if there are any fat stormtroopers out there? I'm almost done with FX kit. When test fitting the ab/back & chest/back, it didn't sit right. I need to add some velcro to the inside of each plate & attach some elastic to keep the parts pulled together. Hopfully this will work. The back is the real problem. I made some strap tabs to attach my suspenders too. But when I did this it stuck out too far. So I cut small slits into the armor directly(Like my skinny wife's armor) to attach the suspender clamps too. But this is where I saw the main problem. You can see the suspender clamps :6: If the clamps are still visable when completed, I may have too turn my TK into a TD. The backpack would hide this problem.

So my question is to all the chubby stormies out there. Do you have any pics of yourselves in costume?

I'm 5'8 & 240lbs Maybe it's time too go on diet :unsure:

When I get the velcro/straps on I will take pictures. As of right now I have everything to convert it to a sandtrooper pauldrons, pouches backpack & BFGs. The sniper plate & ab plate are all that are missing. Easy to get, quick 10min drive to Scootch's house. But since the first time I saw Star Wars I wanted to be a stormtrooper. :unsure: Perhaps this lil set back will get me motivated to loose 20lbs. :D I was hoping to wear it next week at San Diego Comic Con. Guess I'll wear my Tie Pilot :tie:

Edited by Chunk

hey bro, try seperating you ab and cod plates, and butt and kidney plates, the armor will flow with your body better. the FX has the flat butt/kidney plates. if you cut them, they fit better. we did it on 4484's fx kit, and he can run, sit, kneel, you name it.

6'2" , 265 here...check out my EIB thread...the ab/cod are 1 piece and the back/butt is separated......added pieces on the side that are velcroed to the ab and back pieces....

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

When i first got my armor i was 5'8" at 220lbs. Mostly all the weight in the middle....my biggest problem was the ab popping out over the chest plate because of my gut. I resolved that problem by adding elastic straps with plastic clips that go from the chest to the ab plate. this kept everything in place. I had the butt/kidney separated and the ab/cod one piece. i feel separating it when you have "more in the middle" just shows it more as the cod would be further back then the ab plate and it would look silly. i also added a side gap plate,riveted onto the kidney plate and velcroed to the ab plate. This made it adjustable if il ose or gain weight. Eventually i lost about 20lbs and looked much better, but now im back up to 217, so it time to go on a diet again. I also have AParmor which i feel is actually a little slimming as the kidney plate has a nice curve to it to fit into the lumbar of your back,the FX/AM does not. I also feel if i weighed anymore the AP kit would just be too small.

Ā 

Heres a pic of me in my AP armor when i was at about 205-210lbs (PS i dont use the newton amp anymore:rolleyes:)

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13

I'm not the skinniest guy myself. I wear PT armor with almost no shims, only in the back of my thighs, but I think I can still pull off the look. I'm 212 lbs and 6'.

Ā 

Here's a pic, I'm the guy on the left:

------------

And who would be that great looking fella on the right? :D

Ā 

I dunno...some freaky punk who desperately wanted a picture with me. Man, was he a pain in the...

And who would be that great looking fella on the right? :D

Ā 

Dan

You know the sad thing about it mate,....I knew that was YOU!! before you said it :D

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Oh really? I've heard you went home with him after the event...

You know that puts "pain in the ..." in a whole new perspective :P

Dan

You know the sad thing about it mate,....I knew that was YOU!! before you said it :D

Ā 

Hehe, for some odd reason Dennis and I are seen together quite often these days :)

We're now planning to both go hero and be Han and Luke - you wanna be our Chewie? :D

Hehe, for some odd reason Dennis and I are seen together quite often these days :)

We're now planning to both go hero and be Han and Luke - you wanna be our Chewie? :D

Ā 

Luke and Han in disguise FTW! Hey, Billhag, if you're tall and hairy, there's a spot to fill as our future captive Wookiee, like Dan said.

I know Bill ain't that tall - not sure about hairy though :D

Ā 

Short, hairy and INCREDIBLY hansome, B) .....I suppose I could have a word with Mark and we could be your

stunt doubles :D

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Short, hairy and INCREDIBLY hansome, B) .....I suppose I could have a word with Mark and we could be your

stunt doubles :D

Ā 

Yeah, SPACEBALLS style stunt doubles. :D

Ā 

Whoops, a little off topic perhaps? Hrm-hrm...well, fat troopers!

Thanks guys for the helpful info. I've stopped working on my TK for the time being. Concentrating on other costumes for SDCC. Im on vacation next week & will resume on the TK. Hopefully completeing it after all this time. :dancing-trooper:

Well I'm a bit fat, and what I did was actually take a piece of elastic and used velcro to attach one end high on my chest plate and then low on my cod piece. This allowed me plenty of movement while keeping the chest from riding out. I also used the same trick on the back plate this allowed me to keep everything where it needs to be. I'm working on my side plates as we speak. I can show you some shots of how I did it if you like. Not perfect but hey it works for me.

This is me (I'm the TK obviously :) )a few months ago at Free Comic Book Day. I'm about 6'-1" and probably in the 220 range at the time.

Ā 

My construction is a bit weird and different from others I have seen. I don't have any straps connecting the kidney and ab plate, instead my shims which close the gap between the front and back are helping to keep everything tight and in line. I hope that makes sense.

Ā 

FN6ivM4.jpg

Ā 

I have seen some larger troopers who are able to make the armor work. It really is just finding a way that works for you and fits you.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

On 8/1/2010 at 11:36 AM, Murray1134 said:

This is me (I'm the TK obviously :) )a few months ago at Free Comic Book Day. I'm about 6'-1" and probably in the 220 range at the time.

Ā 

My construction is a bit weird and different from others I have seen. I don't have any straps connecting the kidney and ab plate, instead my shims which close the gap between the front and back are helping to keep everything tight and in line. I hope that makes sense.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I have seen some larger troopers who are able to make the armor work. It really is just finding a way that works for you and fits you.

Looks great Murray. Do you have any elastic holding the chest and back together? Did you notice any issues with those two pieces?

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 8/1/2010 at 5:50 PM, usul45 said:

Looks great Murray. Do you have any elastic holding the chest and back together? Did you notice any issues with those two pieces?

Ā 

Thanks! I don't have any elastic holding the chest and back together, I just have the normal strapping running over my shoulders, but nothing at the bottom of the chest. It's all in my shims holding the front and back tight.

Ā 

HjzdJjG.jpg

Ā 

You can see the velcro on the backside of my ab plate where the sidegap shims pull everything together. Like I said, it's a weird setup and I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it quite this way.

Ā 

It works good for me, my only real problem is sometimes my ab plate will want to come out from underneath the chest plate sometimes.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021