Cast from Original (CfO) - ROTJ Death Star stormtrooper build - Going for the hattrick! [*CFO]

Having put together two separate suits of troopermaster armour for ANH and ESB versions, when I started toying with the idea of a third set, the choice was obvious.

I wanted to put together an ROTJ version.

And, seeing as with TM I’m used to working with the best there is available, for ROTJ it was only ever going to be a Cast from Original in 1.5mm semi-gloss ABS.

This will be a clean Death Star version of the suit, i.e. not a weathered Endor version.

Aiming for something nice and shiny like this ...

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-09h40m06s65.png

I will soon be receiving my full (CfO) kit and will be documenting my progress with lots of photos and information here as I go along.

I will be aiming to meet all the requirements for Centurion status. I already hold the award for my ESB suit so ultimately I will only be submitting an application for a third EIB.

I will be looking for feedback and advice along the way and hopefully the build thread will serve as a good tutorial for others when I’ve finished.

The kit, still in London, ready for shipping …

Kit01a.jpg

Wish me luck!

Edited by Rick330

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8th August 2011

Initial preparations are underway.

I’m not going to be too obsessive about the screen accuracy of the insides of the suit. Instead, I’m looking for a strapping system which is comfortable and robust. As far as I can, I will be looking to make all the armour connections in roughly the right places but not necessarily with the correct materials. The idea is that the armour should look and “behave” in the right manner on the outside but be extra durable for extra trooping mileage.

Above all I want this to be a good looking functional trooping suit.

So I’ll be using sturdy camping type press studs (US = snaps) and sturdy 25mm (approx. 1 inch) elastic material.

Today I used some scrap ABS material I had lying around from a previous build to make up a stack of press stud plates. These will be glued and welded into the armour.

I find 25mm x 40mm a good size. The material is 1mm thick ABS. The flexibility should make it easier to weld into the armour but should still make for a firm connection.

DSCF1185-1.jpg

DSCF1186.jpg

DSCF1187.jpg

Hey Rich, have fun man! good luck with your ROTJ build.

I look forward to seeing your ROTJ EI. :salute: If it is like your other suits, it will be an easy A++.

"I just can't get enough.. I just can't get enough" :dancing-trooper:

My name is Richard and I am a plastic addict. It has been ten months since my last armour build .... :laugh1:

My name is Richard and I am a plastic addict. It has been ten months since my last armour build .... :laugh1:

I was thinking of Depeche Mode's hit single, but that's funnier! :lol:

I was thinking of Depeche Mode's hit single, but that's funnier! :lol:

Oh yeah, I got the reference but thought it implied addiction. Anyway, armour building will probably always be "a la mode" for me. :smiley-sw013:

Docarmor.jpg

:laugh1::P

This will be great to see - ROTJ is the least done of all TK armor versions (even more TKC's and HWT's out there). Hoepfully this will encourage more to take the plunge.

9th August 2011

The postman has just brought important supplies. I love the smell of fresh “snaps” and elastic in the morning ....

DSCF1190.jpg

DSCF1191.jpg

DSCF1193.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this develop Rich.

When it comes to the blaster remember that the MGC is a very, very dark gun metal grey and not actually black like the L2A3 except on the grip.

Edited by SamJ

Looking forward to seeing this develop Rich.

When it comes to the blaster remember that the MGC is a very, very dark gun metal grey and not actually black like the L2A3 except on the grip.

I'm having one made, mate. Too much blaster for me to handle! :D

Learned an important lesson this weekend ...

The 68mm drainage pipe required for the thermal detonator is an old British standard measurement. Can't find anything the same size over here. Pipes in Spain jump from 50mm to 75mm.

No worries, I'm over in the UK at the beginning of next month. First stop: B&Q! :laugh1:

I've also found it difficult finding webbing material for the belt with the correct width (60 - 65 mm).

There's no end of material out there which is 50mm / 2" in width but it's not quite right. I'm on to a lead on eBay for something wider now but I just thought I'd mention it because I've seen too many ROTJ builds with the belt too thin. Even looks like TE is cutting corners and using 2" stuff.

I had a good look at the screen caps and the belt is definitely in that 60 - 65 mm / 2.25 - 2.5" range.

with all that black elastic you will need more suits of armor!

when you get a line on the proper belt material, I would like to buy enough for a belt and 1/2!!

I'll pay a very high price... almost like you get a free belt from me!!!

I might have some pipe lying around. I'm still waiting for the paperwork so your box is still sitting here. I can open it and pop some in. :)

I might even have some belt it's not entirely accurate but it ain't bad.

Edited by sskunky

Thanks, Mark.

I'll take anything you have lying around. A short length of pipe would be handy. I only nip over for a wedding next month so if you can spare me the trip to B&Q for a whole drainpipe, that'd be cool

As for the ebay find for belt material, no claims that it's accurate yet. It looks like its PP webbing and seems to be around the right width at 64mm ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360150850400&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_922

Just waiting on confirmation of postage charges. If I think it's suitable when I get it, I'll use it on my suit and offer the excess material here when I'm finished with my build.

These are the best references I've been able to come up with. Enough to tell me that the CRL seems to have it right when it states the width shoul dbe around 2.25" to 2.5". 64mm is 2.5" and seems pretty good to me.

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h01m29s88.png

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h09m43s164.png

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-10h11m31s225.png

vlcsnap-2010-04-15-09h40m06s65.png

5419475875_a2b7a11c5c_z.jpg

st1-sheffield.jpg

rotj15.jpg