Yet another AM build![*AM]

Hi fellow troopers i just got my AM armor and i think i am overwhelmed! i have removed the wrapping and checked out all the parts and i really dont know where to start!

so i started on the helmet (FX with rounded dome) and it went pretty smooth altough i have some teeth painting and glue the dome in place.

but when i look at the armor i dont know where to start! should i start with the shims? tights? etc.. i would like to wait with the shims so i can fit them when i wear my boots so the fit over them.

so now i would like some tips in what order you all assembled your armor. i will get to borrow a dremmel tomorow so i can trimm the pieces that are to big etc.

Start with the easiest parts, those typically being the biceps, forearms, calves, and thighs. Pretty simple to put together and it'll build your confidence.

There are two AM build threads here that are nearing completion, so feel free to ask how they did it. Remember, we're all here pulling for you. :)

Congrats Jonny on getting your armor!!!

As for being overwhelmed with your build, just back up take a deep breath.....

Look at your tutorial.

I would suggest starting with something straight forward like the forearms, then biceps.

Have all your tools you will need: spring clamps, E-6000, blue painter tape, razor knife, good sharp scissors and the dremmel.

Good job Jonny :duim:

What version are you doing, ANH Stunt or Hero, ESB, or ROTJ

First tape the inner thigh and outer thigh pieces together in the front and slip it on and see how well it fits to your leg before doing any cutting. If you have your black under armor put it on, if you don't have them yet, then put on some type of thin material style of pants. This is to help you to know how well your armor fits before you do any cutting and mod work..

Now you can see how much you need to cut or mod.

the normal amount to leave is approximately 24mm on each side.

24mm.jpg

I belive since the helmet has the "hero" teeth i am going to work around that.

And how should i cut it? like on the picture or glue the "fronts together and trim the backside?

I can make a little video of the helmet :D

cuthere.jpg

As you are going to overlap the front parts RT is right in saying go for aprox 24mm on each ridge.I always find if you measure from the inside and follow the raised line down the thigh and shin you should get a good straigh line.

On the overlap put the outer thigh part over the inner and the same for the shins,it just looks better.Once you have trimmed and glued the fronts you are right in saying that the backs are trimmed to suit your size.

Keep us posted on how you are getting on take your time and have fun with your white plastic project :D

OMG i just want to cry! i think i have destroyed my tight pieces. i cut them to fit but when i "curl" to glue them on the other side the front snaps up.

I think it is beacuse i only trimmed one of the pieces so now there is to much tention in the plastic.

the glue i use is a super attack 2 component glue. would E6000 hold it?

i am so close to throw it all out the window..

the back side that is not glued.

050220101179.jpg

the side thats "glued"

you see the glue just wont hold it. i had "clames" on it and alot of glue over night.

050220101178.jpg

Help me stormtroopers 501 kenobi you are my only hope!!

Yeah, it just looks like you need to use a stronger glue, let it sit for a long while to make sure it is fully dried and cured before you move onto the back.

By the way, I put industrial strength velcro on the backs of mine to be able to adjust for leg thickness, either if I lose or gain weight, or if I let someone borrow my armor, they can adjust it for their legs, so only the fronts are glued on mine.

I'll stand by e6000 glue till I die lol. Get some. Also get some clamps from home depot or lowes, and some earth magnets.

I had the same problem as you are haveing witht the armor popping up. Clamps, magnets, and a ton of rubber bands. Let sit for about a day or two. That should take care of that problem :)

Go with E-6000 :duim:

You can get it at any Craft/hobby store.

And breathe man, it will all work out :duim:

I too will recommend the E6000, I tried different things first but wish I had just listened to the masses when they told me to get it lol. It works great and is a slow cure so you have time to adjust if needed, cleans up amazingly well and when dried, stays rubbery. It's worth holding off to get the right stuff and build her up right, believe me!!!

Good luck!!