New ANH Helmet Maker - check it

Daetrin said:

Well, here is the original post from the mepd...

Thx bro :)

-------------

I was invited to take part in a project to develop a new ANH helmet here in Mexico. My part would be very simple but I was excited about it. The goal would be to develop a new ANH helmet and try to make it as accurate as possible to have it available mainly in Mexico for local troopers.

So let me tell you a little about how this whole thing happened.

We have very few options to get armor locally made in Mexico. For the most of it, there are cough cough recasts cough cough of FX armor, and a few original sculpts that well, they are an option for those not too demanding.

There was one maker that had made some of the best armors and props available in Mexico: iTrooper. He has done some original sculpt helmets and pieces, some of the first available TK armors in Mexico, and several other props and accesories like pauldrons, ammo pouches and other stuff.

About a year ago, he contacted an sculptor and started working in a new TK/TD ANH helmet. He had as a reference an FX helmet, what seemed to be a RT-Mod bucket and lots of reference pictures of other ANH helmets and screen used helmets.

About a month ago or so, and after lots of work and corrections, the molds were ready to go into the table to form a prototype. The pieces came out "fine" but there was a problem with the material HIPS or something similar to it available in Mexico. So the owner of the vacuum table suggested to get new plastic, a first generation 100 points HIPS. It was great. Very resistant, flexible, 100% white and shiny.

New pieces were formed and they came out great.

So this is the part where I was invited, to assemble the first helmets in TD fashion.

I was given the kits already trimmed (which didn't make my job easier), but was not trimmed too bad. Just too little material going back from the face to the sides.

So, after an hour or so, and following Mike's excellent video tutorials, we came out with this (the iTrooper 2 or iT2):

--------

There are a few things that of course this bucket doesn't have, and even though it is not 100& accurate, I think it is a very nice kit and a very very good option for troopers in Mexico willing to change their FX lids but cant afford one made abroad.

The things that could be improved are:

Tubes are too chubby I think.

Teeth could be deeper.

I think the eyes are a bit too separate and shallow.

The forehead is too low and could be a little bigger/taller.

The dome and forehead traps are a little small.

So, well... here are some pictures from different angles and a few two-shots comparing the TE2 and the iT2

---------

Let me know what do you think...

thx...

Saludos.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Do you have any pictures or documentation of the whole sculpting process from start to finish.

Surely if you were to sculpt a brand new face the features would be crisp and sharp?

I'm not baiting here but would be generally interested to see how this whole project came together.

I'd suggest creating a new one for that topic. Also, you'll have to provide evidence if you make an accusation. This is not like the old CTN. :-p

Also, please stick to the facts - as noted let's not get in to a debate on recasting in general this time - there've been enough threads on that already this year.

I'm not accusing anything? I would be interested to see how this was sculpted. Surely if this is an original sculpt then there is nothing to hide. Since when did we all accept new helmets without knowing a little about its background?

Indeed - a fair point and one that is followed on CTN as well, so it's within reason. Not sure how open it needs to be, but since they are 501st it could at least be done in the 501st only area.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the CTN?

clonetroopers.net

Since all clone armor is fan made recasting was a big issue. They had a special section where new armor was presented and cleared by the det armor chief before being allowed to sell, and this included pictures of the molds usually including WIP (work in progress).

Considering how few true new sculpts come out I'd like to presume we give people the benefit of the doubt when possible lest we dissuade people from the attempt. However given how much recasting goes on, it's not unreasonable to ask questions if there is sufficient evidence to cast doubt.

Above all what we really strive for is transparancy so that people can make informed decisions.

Unfortunately its my experience that 90% of new Stormtrooper helmets end up being recasts of other helmets hence IMO its probably best for everyone concerned (including any legitimate hard working sculptors) that they illustrate the processes they went through in threads such as this.

It only takes a few photos which could quite easily be posted here. Like I said in the spirit of openness and transparency I think its actually in the vendors interest. There's no reason interesting stuff like that needs to be hidden away.

Cheers

Jez

Wow... Im surprised to see all this responses and questioning.

I do agree with the legion posture about recasting, and I am for transparency and all that. But as I have said before, I was merely invited to the project to assemble the helmets due to the development and my limited experience (but larger than most ppl in Mexico) with ANH armor.

As far as I can see, these helmets are not too similar to TE2, which might be the only ANH original buckets we have in Mexico (I have 2 myself, and there are 3 more in others troopers hands), other than that, there is no more screen accurate or ANH original helmets here or recasts. Some ppl have recasted a MRCE but I guess you can all see this is not a recast of that. So, even if I did not sculpt it myself, I dont think it is a recast.

I just wanted to share this experience with my fellow troopers from the MEPD, and was asked by Daetrin to bring the topic to the FISD. I guess ppl who post in both forums might have seen my posts before and know me, but ppl only posting here might not. As everytime before, Im just sharing, I am not trying to sell this, nor I will have any benefit in any sale. I was just trying to share. But I guess its reasonable to ask questions and proof of iTroopers work.

I do trust my buddy when he told me he had the molds made specially for him. I know he has a few helmets in his collection but not an ANH helmet yet. So I dont think he recasted any other ppl's work.

Anyway, as I dont have any pictures of the sculpt work, but have seen the pictures of the sculpt and the molds, I can ask the maker (my friend) for them and post them here. The artists (guy who made the sculp and whom I dont know) was not a Legion Member but a hired professional to make the molds out of air, based on an FX and what looked like a bad recast of a RT-Mod and several pictures. And for what I was told, it took him around a year to make it.

But, untill these matters are clear, I guess there is not much more to say.

Ill come back to you with news...

Saludos.

Do you have any pictures or documentation of the whole sculpting process from start to finish.

Surely if you were to sculpt a brand new face the features would be crisp and sharp?

I'm not baiting here but would be generally interested to see how this whole project came together.

This is itching my back a bit. So just one thing bro,

Yep, if a professional armor maker would make a new face, the features should be crisp and sharp. But most ppl doing props are not pros. I have done a few original sculps (my own handplates for example) and I can assure you they are not crisp nor sharp cuase I am no pro. Even so, ppl has asked me to make a set for them and buy them from me wich I havent cause Im not a vendor).

I am not saying iTrooper have done or not something correct or wrong here. Just pointing out that not ALL makers have the skills to make super crisp detalied and perfect looking props and armor. But that doesnt mean we do not do them ourselves or that we dont enjoy this hobby or enjoy sharing it with our brothers and sisters of the 501st.

Anyway, thx for your comment.

Saludos.

Gentlemen - this has gone too far. Juan was simply the messenger on this and does not deserve to be shot and run down.

Juan - as DL please accept my apologies. I've deleted the offending threads. This is an information thread - if you have information then share it but keep the personal attacks to yourself.

If you believe the item is recast then create a different thread in the Garbage Compactor.

Gentlemen - this has gone too far. Juan was simply the messenger on this and does not deserve to be shot and run down.

Juan - as DL please accept my apologies. I've deleted the offending threads. This is an information thread - if you have information then share it but keep the personal attacks to yourself.

If you believe the item is recast then create a different thread in the Garbage Compactor.

THX a lot bro... No hard feelings.

I will try and gather proof of this being and original sculpt or take it back and accept I can't prove it. Either way, as you said, Im just the messenger. I am not the maker.

THX for bringing sense to the thread. :D

Saludos.

Juan

Loving the squared up front and rear traps , needs a little more detail around the tears and faceplate in general.

A bit more work and that's going to be a rip roaring little bucket . Nice one