My Tupperware AM Build[*AM]

I assume you're asking if I had to paint it white? No. I didn't paint it white. I hand painted all the traps, tear drops, and teeth. I used decals for the tube stripes. I painted the inside of the helmet pieces (while it was apart) with black plasti-dip.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! painting the exterior of your helm white (sorry about that). Reason I asked is I ordered a separate helm as well and its going to get a paint job. Thought perhaps you might already have a perfect color match for your Tupperware kit .

Ā 

I will try some black plasti-dip to some of the interior parts, great ideal. I also wanted to thank you for mentioning about adding the washers with the rivets. Little details like that can make all the difference in the world, great advise!

Ā 

Thank you Rob, your tutorial is most helpful and appreciated. 10zvfnk.jpg

Ā 

Good thing for tube stripe decals as that sure would be somewhat challenging wouldn't it!? ;)

Riveted on female snaps to abs tabs.

P1030589.jpg

Ā 

Tabs going on with E6000. Let them cure overnight!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Did you use ABS, Styrene or PVC for your tabs? Thickness?

Edited by William Marcus

Nice job, man! I was wondering how did you do the canvas belt? is it just double fabric or is there anything special inside? Are there specifications for the belt color?

Thanks for the compliments guys. I just made EIB Status as #100 Woot Woot! Let me answer some the of the questions above.

Ā 

For the snap pieces, I used the abs strips that I trimmed off of the kit pieces. I also used one "plastic belt" abs piece that I wasn't going to use because I made my canvas belt. Another thing I laboriously did was I actually cut the lengths of the rivets down by using a hack saw and a table vice to hold the rivet. To do this, use the "nail" shaft to support the inner hole of the rivet. So when you cut the rivet, you are also cutting the shaft at the same time. I do this so that the rivet is set far enough into the male button, that it doesn't interfere with the female snap when it comes time to snap them together. If the rivet sits too high, the rivet prevents snaps from... well... snaping.

Ā 

Speaking of the canvas belt... I used white canvas fabric, also called "Duck Cloth". I folded it over 4 times and sewed the edges with double parallel lines. Here's my TK Belt Link if you're interested.

Ā 

Another key thing when attaching your plactic armor TK belt piece to the canvas belt is to mark your holes on the canvas while wearing it. I can't stress that enough! If you apply them laying flat, the holes won't be lined up when you put it on. I learned that advice on this site as well.

Ā 

Jani, as for the belt color... you can use white or natural cotton color (which is slightly brown) for your TK. Either is acceptable. The natural cotton color is canon, but I prefered to keep my kit as white and shiny as possible.

Ā 

Best of luck!

Edited by TKittell

Hey Robert! Great job on everything! I was wondering if you might be able to share with me (and for others in the future) what paint you used on the TD. I am on mine now (FX kit) and will probably use the same method to put it together.

Ā 

myTD01.jpg

Ā 

Thanks!

For the TD paint, go with Testors 1138 - it's basically a medium gray flat. Available in spray cans for large areas (like the tube) or small bottles for detail areas (like the ab buttons), both online and at most hobby shops.

For the TD paint, go with Testors 1138 - it's basically a medium gray flat. Available in spray cans for large areas (like the tube) or small bottles for detail areas (like the ab buttons), both online and at most hobby shops.

Ā 

Thanks Robert!

Ā 

And Eric I'll PM you about your PVC solution.

I borrowed a spray can from a local garrison member. He bought his from a box store (Home Depot or Lowes). I think it was Rustoleum Brand, Grey. Definitely go with a paint spray can which will prevent leaving brush stroke marks. Good luck.

Rob, Thanks for making me a belt! I have no sewing skills so I appreciate your time and effort! I see it shipped today!!! Whoo Hoo! The last piece of my armor...ummm speaking of armor....still waiting...and my Hyperfirm is paying for it...lol

Ā 

Congrats on making 100 EIB!!! Your build was awesome to watch and I will incorporate some of what you did into my own build. Especially the Black Plasti-cote lid mod!

Since this is such a nice thread, I'll add more questions. :)

Ā 

You have AM armor and AP bucket, how close is the color? What's the thickness and material of the AM (ABS, if my memory serves right)?

The color is very close. No need to paint it to match up the colors. Just take a look at my pictures to see the colors. Yes, the Tupperware AM kit is ABS. Although, I'm not 100% sure of the thickness without researching it. It's definitely a nice kit.

• 2 months later...

Hey Robert I am in the process of building the same kit at the moment and have hit a small issue with the return on the chest plate catching on the buttons that are located on the AB plate. Can you give me some guidance of how to get around this issue. I am not that tall and i think that might be half the issue. Nice armour. :D

A couple things come to mind, all of which have to do with cutting your armor. The first thing I'd try is cutting your "shoulder" straps shorter at the top of your chest piece. That would raise up your chest piece when you connect it to the back OII straps. Or you could cut from the bottom up of the chest piece to raise it that way. After you cut, round the edges with some sandpaper and no one will know the difference. Give that a shot.

• 2 months later...

I am at the same spot myself and a shorter trooper at 5,6. I do plan to trim the straps and trim away the bottom of the chestpeice and fold it in a bit. Same thing Panda did with his excellent build. Are you still making the belts? I would like to order one from you next week.

• 1 month later...

Hi Rob,

Ā 

I'm really glad to have seen this thread. I'm 6'2 and around your kind of build. My old FX used to fit fine everywhere but the legs - always a bit too much knee showing. I'm glad to see that the AM fits better.

Ā 

Superb build too. My AM armor is winging its way to me now and I look forward to posting up build pics soon.

Ā 

Thanks again for this.

Ā 

Scott.