My Tupperware AM Build[*AM]

Looks like a safe place to start. Always better to trim less at first, then trim more if need be after assessing the form & fit.

Here's an idea: You could trim the sides so that the chest/back just touch, similar to what the ab/kidney pieces should do. I'm seriously considering the idea of trimming my soon-to-be ordered AM kit in that manner. Granted, it's not screen-accurate, but I kind of like the idea of being completely encased in armor and not having my ribs exposed.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a safe place to start. Always better to trim less at first, then trim more if need be after assessing the form & fit.

Here's an idea: You could trim the sides so that the chest/back just touch, similar to what the ab/kidney pieces should do. I'm seriously considering the idea of trimming my soon-to-be ordered AM kit in that manner. Granted, it's not screen-accurate, but I kind of like the idea of being completely encased in armor and not having my ribs exposed.

That makes sense actually, because isn't that closer to how the clones come together?

Wings have been cut. I decided to glue down the front pieces of the ribbed shoulder straps. I had originally used velcro to keep them in place. I didn't like that solution because the velcro could be seen from the sides and the straps weren't flush enough. Also, Thermal Detonator is completed.

P1030581.jpg

P1030580.jpg

Wings have been cut. I decided to glue down the front pieces of the ribbed shoulder straps. I had originally used velcro to keep them in place. I didn't like that solution because the velcro could be seen from the sides and the straps weren't flush enough. Also, Thermal Detonator is completed.

did you make youre TD so you can open it and store stuff in it?

this looks really cool! my AM suit is on its way to me now and i cant wait :D

At this point, the ends are just pushed into place (and quite secure I might add). I've reviewed the other threads about making the TD a storage compartment. I'd like to get in a couple of troops before I decide if I want to do that. The only thing I'm thinking of doing is gluing one of the end caps on permanently and having the other end attached to a piece of elastic that'll be glued to the inside of the tube. That's easy enough.

The biggest thing I learned with the AM Thermal Detonator was to use the internal strips of ABS to bind the seam line and E-6000 glue. At first I tried ABS glue and that didn't work. I also used the end caps to help keep the two pieces in shape while the glue dried. After the glue dried, I sanded the excess glue off the exterior and then re-painted the seams.

Good luck with yours. You'll be happy with the kit. It is very well designed. I'm just going slow with the help of my local garrison members to ensure I don't make any mistakes.

I have never seen this kit before so.........where ya get it from lad!

It's from Deckard, the next gen of FX armor.

My AP lid has arrived! I've posted new pics of my build on photobucket. Some below...

Riveted on MALE snaps to abs tabs.

P1030589.jpg

Tabs going on with E6000. Let them cure overnight!

P1030592.jpg

AP Helmet progress in work. Check out the photobucket link to read how I cut out the teeth. How's it look?

P1030594.jpg

Tabs applied to butt piece. Make sure they line up with the kidney tabs.

P1030597.jpg

Forearms glued. Make sure you leave enough space for your gloves.

P1030598.jpg

Drop Boxes. I cut out spare material to make backs for the drop boxes. I'll use styrofoam strips to sandwich glue the pieces together for added strength (more surface space than just gluing the edges together). I'll rivet the white straps to the backing strip and cut a slot in the top just big enough for the strap to exit the box. That'll help keep it flush with the body. I'm I going too anal on drop boxes or what?

Right thigh with battery pack riveted on.

P1030601.jpg

Left shin with knee plate riveted on. Notice, I didn't apply it flush with the shin. I wanted it to flare out a touch to prevent the thigh piece from getting stuck over it. Make sense?

P1030602.jpg

P1030603.jpg

P1030604.jpg

Right thigh and left shin pieces together.

P1030606.jpg

Suspenders will carry the weight of the ab in the front kidney/butt in the back. Notice I cut off the clips from the suspenders and sewed on nylon straps to attach the female snaps. I bought the suspenders at Kohls. They're harder to find than one might think.

P1030605.jpg

Garter Belt for the thighs completed.

P1030608.jpg

I'm getting close to finishing! I just sent TKboots.com a payment for my boots. BTW, they JUST got in a new shipment. So all that's left is finishing up with applying the tabs, making the elastic straps, cutting back the ab/kidney/butt sides, and finishing the belt. Enjoy!

Edited by TKittell

Looking good Robert!!! Impressive most impressive :vader1:

Are you going to add the shins strips to the front of the thigh and calf armor? It would help to make it more screen accurate.

To be close to screen accurate, the measurement for the shins should be about 20mm wide.

shims.jpg

Looking really nice! Keep up the good work.

I know people do the teeth in different ways, but I personally sharpened the corners on mine a little more with some small flat and square files. Totally up to you on the style, it's a personal choice on how to approach it.

I am so tempted to get one of these kits. I probably wouldn't have time to build it for a year and a half, but they look really sharp!

Tom, Yeah, I don't think I'm going to put on the abs strips. The way this armor is molded, it leaves a flat area that's a bit too wide to place thin "canon" strips on the front. I think the armor looks fine without them.

Panda, I was going off of some AP helmet images on star wars helmets website. I liked the look of one that had slightly rounded tooth corners. After thinking about it, it's going to be real hard to notice the difference after they're painted, with black mesh behind them. Besides, nothing else on the helmet is straight (besides the brow line). These are all the arguments that went through my head during the teeth trimming. LOL

I've discovered another unique method for this AM kit. The ab and kidney sides are long enough to use industrial velcro to bring the sides together. The advantages of this are 1) absolutely no black showing 2) velcro allows you to adjust as your weight fluctuates. The disadvantage is you can't put the 6 rivets on the sides because the side edges won't remain permanent. So I've decided to go velcro.

Pictures coming soon. Helmet was painted yesterday. Boots arrived on Thursday.

I've discovered another unique method for this AM kit. The ab and kidney sides are long enough to use industrial velcro to bring the sides together. The advantages of this are 1) absolutely no black showing 2) velcro allows you to adjust as your weight fluctuates. The disadvantage is you can't put the 6 rivets on the sides because the side edges won't remain permanent. So I've decided to go velcro.

Pictures coming soon. Helmet was painted yesterday. Boots arrived on Thursday.

I was debating this very thing this weekend as I am also working on my AM kit. I think I will go the route of using the velcro as well. Like I have read, more is better and once it's gone it's gone. Better to play it safe for now. I will post pics once I have completed the kit. ;)

Below are pics of my "semi-dress rehearsal" I wanted to highlight the fact I velcroed the sides together instead of going the elastic strap method. I LOVE IT! Nice and snug and adjustable! Again, this is a great option you can do with the AM armor.

Again, I'm 6'2, 195 pounds. Fits like a glove!

P1030610.jpg

P1030611.jpg

P1030612.jpg

P1030613.jpg

P1030614.jpg

501st membership on the horizon...

Great Job Robert!!! Awesome semi-dress rehearsal!!!! :dancing-trooper::dancing-trooper::dancing-trooper:

I know you are still working on your suit, just don't forget about the ab plate ;):P

Is it me, or are the calves a bit small/short. I don't know if it's just how you are wearing it in the shot or what. The boot to calf relationship looks a bit off to me. I only ask seeing as I'm about to order the same set of armor.

The calves on AM should be as long as it's FX predecessor, and no longer/shorter than the screen-derived kits.

At 6'2", Robert is a pretty tall guy. The problem taller troopers typically have is that we tend to have a lot of black undersuit showing, particularly at the knees and hips. One way to minimize the amount of undersuit showing at the knees is to wear the calves so they sit on top of the boot.

The "normal" position for the calf armor has it sitting lower on the boot, about to the ankle.

I had the velcro strips in the back positioned so that the calves were too tight. Since the dress rehearsal, I've placed new velcro strips to allow the calves to expand 1 inch. That'll make it easier for the calves to come/rest over the top of the boots.

Sweet! That makes me feel a whole lot better. You over at the Academy? :salute:

I had the velcro strips in the back positioned so that the calves were too tight. Since the dress rehearsal, I've placed new velcro strips to allow the calves to expand 1 inch. That'll make it easier for the calves to come/rest over the top of the boots.