Scratch building: Am I crazy?

Hello. Newbie here. I’ve been investigating the possibility of building armor for a couple years now. I think I’ve finally decided it’s something I want to do and the other night I sat my wife down and told her as much. She took it pretty well, all things considered. She’s good that way. A few years ago when I told her I wanted to build an arcade cabinet to hold a MAME emulator and she took that pretty well too. Mostly she just can’t figure out why I would want to do something like this. I could never explain it, it’s just something that needs doing.

I’ve scoured forums and some other sites. I’ve looked at a bunch of web resources, most notably here: -----

I’ve searched here and other forums.

I’ve joined my local detachment (New England) though most TK questions seem to get referred over to here.

I think I have a pretty good idea of what I’m in for and I can see the technique will take some time as well as a lot of trial and error. Not to mention money. Let’s be clear: I am under no illusion that scratch building will save me money. I know I could probably buy some decent armor and put together a costume for a grand or so. I expect building armor will cost me at least that. Mostly I want to build it myself just to be able to point to it and say “I MADE that!” and also because it seems like it will be a lot easier to justify the expense if I build it rather than buying it.

The satisfaction of building it myself is more important to me than 100% screen accuracy, though I would like to be accurate enough to pass and hopefully join the 501st.

Anyway:

So assuming I decide to take the plunge, what resources are at my disposal other than the top sites that come up in a google search?

My main question is, just how tight is the armor? The above mentioned website says to sculpt the pieces out of clay on a mannequin (or body cast) but it doesn’t say how thick to sculpt them. Is the armor tight on the body or is there some space between, say, the shin and the plastic? It’s obvious that the chest plate is pretty thick but the other pieces are a bit unclear.

Are there any templates available? I’ve seen this site: -----, he has some measurements but I’m not sure how accurate they are. Thoughts? Are there books and/or models I could use to give me a decent idea of the size and shape of the pieces?

Where does one buy a mannequin? I’ve seen sites that explain how to build a mannequin by wrapping yourself with duct tape and filling it with foam, but that seems like it’s more for a display rather than something to build molds around.

I would expect to purchase a helmet.

So, am I crazy? Can this be done? I’m not a sculptor, though I can be meticulous when I set my mind to something. I’m good with tools, technical enough for any of this, and I enjoy learning new things.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Yeah, I think you're crazy! j/k

Good luck, if this is something you really wanna do then go for it. Use this website/forum as your primary reference & ask plenty of questions.

If you not after 100% accuracy BUT still want to be accepted into the 501st it looks like a FX kit is your model/goal. (At least that's what it looks like to me from my observation).

Just please . . . make it better than those pictures of the armor from that trooperarmor website. yyeeesshhh! :wacko:

I think your crazy to want to do it too, especially since there are so many great armor kits already available. But if your main purpose is wanting to do it just to do it, then go ahead. If your main purpose in doing it is to become a stormtrooper, then I'd suggest getting a kit.

It you do decide to mould your own, I'd definitely purchase a kit to get a good reference on how others have done it. As long as you are getting it and not recasting it, you'll probably get much better results with your sculpts. Think of it as drawing a person out of your head vs. drawing a person with photo reference - big difference. ;)

jmerullo said:
My main question is, just how tight is the armor? The above mentioned website says to sculpt the pieces out of clay on a mannequin (or body cast) but it doesn’t say how thick to sculpt them. Is the armor tight on the body or is there some space between, say, the shin and the plastic? It’s obvious that the chest plate is pretty thick but the other pieces are a bit unclear.

Are there any templates available? I’ve seen this site: ----- he has some measurements but I’m not sure how accurate they are. Thoughts? Are there books and/or models I could use to give me a decent idea of the size and shape of the pieces?

Hi there and welcome to this forum! I think it's great that you wanna go out for an adventure like this :).

I recommend that you get in contact with your local garrison and look at their armor to get a glimpse of the sizes and shapes of the different pieces.

When it comes to shapes and sizes, there is a clear difference between screen-accurate (TE-derived) armor, and the FX armor. The FX armor kit is in general larger than the screen-accurate armor, it is made this way so it can be trimmed and assembled to fit a range of body types. The screen accurate armor on the other side, was sculpted on a mannequin (from an average body). I don't know if they sculpted the FX on top of a mannequin, but I think sculpting the armor on a mannequin would definately be a great advantage. This way, it is much easier to get the proportions right. But of course, having a big sculpt also has its own problems in terms of storage and logistic (My mom is a sculptor so I've experienced that before :))

Have you thought about what kind of clay you want to use?

Edited by gmrhodes13

Hi Jim,

The DH2 website is where I got my inspiration many moons ago. It has a lot of useful information on there to help you get started. I would start by making body casts using plaster bandage or old rags dipped in plaster, only casting seperat body parts at one time. I started with my forearms and made plaster casts from the body casts and sculpt onto those. Everything is on there that you need to know.

For reference, I would check out starwarshelmets.com and only use screen used armour personally. If you want to make trooper armour then what better reference to use than what you have been watching on screen? It isn't any easier to sculpt FX than it is TE, so go for the real deal mate ;)

Good luck!

I totally don't think you're crazy.

In fact, I'm with you on the loving to say, "I MADE it." All 37 years of my costuming life (plenty of pictures on facebook if you want to friend me) I have prided myself on looking like someone "hired me to be there," and then getting to tell people, "No... I made it myself." To which such questions follow like; "Yeah, but I mean the mask... where'd you get that?" or... "No, but you mean you sewed it all?" or... "How?" That all being said, being a stormtrooper is different for me. Instead of saying, "I made it..." I like to say, "----- B)

But no, I can totally understand wanting to have that satisfaction rather than the satisfaction of looking screen accurate... I'm just not "there" when it comes to TK armor.

(Believe me when I tell you though that if you make a suit I doubt it will be long before you're wanting to buy a screen accurate suit... there's just nothing... and I mean nothing... like it.)

First off, yes, please... for the sake of all our childhood memories... if you do make your own make it better than what is on that web site! haha That was cool about 12 years ago when they originally posted it... ain't cool no more. :P

Secondly, there are tons of resources out there... plenty here on these very forums even. -----

And then, of course, there's TM (troopermaster). He sculpted his own armor and it is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! You see many guys on here who wear, and prefer, "TM" armor to anything that is made from original molds.

Basically I would say here is going to be your best resource to ask questions, post pics, get input, and so on and so on... much more than Google.

If you really take your time and make it good you'll have something to be proud of for sure!

Good luck!

Edited by gmrhodes13

I would purchase either a TM kit or an AP kit.

it's the only way to get the best.

don't mess around with doing it yourself.

it's way way too much work for the project

compared with building up a kit.

both TM and AP take quite a bit of fun

modeling work.

if you want some advise... we can always show

you some tutorials on building those kits.

that shows the modeling skill needed

JUST to assemble the kit.

hope this helps.

it's way more complex than building a mame emulator cab

by the way.

my

"disks of tron" rom is broken... it stopps at the 3rd level?

got another one?

regards

vern

"troopers helping troopers"

I think u should be commited, and pumped full of thorazine!!!!!!!

But if u are really going to do it and want to go down that road......

DO IT!!!!! you could hide a car behind your cod piece!!!!!

i think i can say that weveryone here will back u up and help out!!!

I cant' help but wonder what would've happened a couple years ago if TM/Paul had asked the same thing and people had told him "Don't do it, it's crazy". ;)

So by all means, Jim: go do it, you might even be the next TK wunderkind. Who knows what reference you can amass and what sculpting talent might be in your hands!

I say go for it. Talk about a satisfying feeling of wearing your own armor that you sculpted by hand. I say follw TM's advice and I look forward to seeing some progress pics. Vactrooper did it and I think he is only 17.

hehehehehehe.... :D

Yup, it's fun, but do your research and homework. Also, if you use math it helps out a lot too. For example, if you know the size of the drop boxes, you can find out the acutal size of all the pieces using simple mathematics. First the drop boxes, then the belt, then the pieces nearest that, until it cascades and before you know it you're done.

17. Turning 18 August 1st, and I plan on joining the 501st. :D

Have fun! Me, TrooperMaster, and MANY others on the boards and online will agree!