MRCE Helmet decision

Hi All,

Noob here and i must say, thank you to everyone who has answered my questions and welcomed me in.

It's always a little nerve racking starting with forums etc.

Anyway.

I have done my research over the past 3 weeks and it is payday today.

I really like the idea of the MRCE helmet and making all the required ear,brow, trim etc mods to make this helmet better.

I know what amp system i am getting and have bought the fans. so am ready to go all i need is to buy a helmet.

Could somebody point me in the right direction please regarding where to purchase from.

Many thanks,

Jamie :)

NAZGÛL said:
The MR CE is nice. Just want to ask, have you considered the ATA helmet?

I bought a MR CE at e-bay a while back. Maybe the price has gone up since then.

Them's my sentiments too. It's a many lots of work on this lid. Look here, i've moddet this bucket too.

---------------

For this price, you can have a better helmet and you have not this quantity of work.....believe me ;).....see at ATA :smiley-sw013:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Well the CE is thick ABS and nicely made, and IF you want the symmetrical look, then thats the one for ya.

However if you rather ït look wonderfully wonky, like the ones in the movies, and can take it being thinner HIPS then ATA is a better buy.

I personally don't think they look right with armour.

For a little more you can get a much more accurate helmet, such as an Authentic Props 'second' helmet.

Joe

wow, I did not know they are up to $239+ shipping now. that does make it seem expensive for the amount of work that was required.

One thing that I like about the MRCE is how solid and durable it feels. You don't get that from any kit helmet - the only thing as strong as this was Kev's ANH.

Derek

I love my MR CE too mate

if you join the UKG - you can see my complete overhaul of one :D

in terms of screen derived lids - I would still go for a TE2 or AP.

for the price - an ATA is a good alternative. but it does come with a bit of history, and for that reason, I would PERSONALLY get one. Besides the complicated murky history of TK origns really isnt part of this thread at all.

I am in no dire need to sell anything, but if a UK trooper requires a nice lid - here is one I acquired from chewcy -----------

have a brief read, as I think its an AP? maybe early GF? I got it for £160 + shippin - which is wot I would offer it to yer for mate, as long as u promise to treat her well :D

Edited by gmrhodes13

As most here already know — and I don't think I'm tooting my own anything by saying this — I did one of the premiere mods on the MR CE last year. (of which a PDF "how to" will be available soon) Anyway, I love that helmet. I think it looks great, and is the perfect finish to an FX suit or the like.

I did the whole stripping, painting, filling, sanding, tearing, gluing, trimming, sealing, detailing thing... and it was a blast!

Here it is...---------

That being said... I have since got and finished a TE2 bucket... and the differences are amazing. I'm not just talking about the differences in looks either. I'm talking about the difference in assembly!

Here's a comparison between my TE2 (before I dirtied it up) on the right and my heavily modded MR CE on the left.

-----------

Last year at this time I would've recommended the MR CE without a second of hesitation. Now? Not so much. The prices have gone up, and honestly, if you're going to spend the $$ and want something that looks really good, then start with something that looks really good to begin with. Why spend all the extra money modding it when you can get something like a TE2, AP, ATA or whatever and be good-to-go right out of the gate?

But... if you DO get an MR CE and really take the time to mod it up nice, I have no doubt you'll love it.

Edited by gmrhodes13

Thanks heaps guys for all your help here.

A couple of things.

I totaly get what you say about AP and TE2 lids and appreciate the accuracy.

However i am really into mods and tinkering. I have built many models over the years and pulled apart and rebuilt many things. I guess i am a typical tinkering male with a fair ability and knowledge etc. so it sort of appeals to me to tinker and mod and it seems that the MRCE is respected as a good lid when the effort has gone in to mod it correctly.

Also, as this is my first attempt, my idea was to start with MRCE and learn, mod etc and then possibly at a later date move onto a second 'posh' lid special events etc.

That said, we all strive to make the most accurate armor we can so it may go the way of AP or TE2.

Just so that i can guage it further, what sort of cost am i looking at for MRCE against AP/TE2?

Also, i have tried joining the UK Garrison, i have had my invitation, filled out the registration but have not had my verification email back even though i have sent a follow up email...... maybe i am not wanted?

Cheers,

Jamie

Also, i have tried joining the UK Garrison, i have had my invitation, filled out the registration but have not had my verification email back even though i have sent a follow up email...... maybe i am not wanted?

Cheers,

Jamie

It does take some time Jamie, took mine a few weeks to come through......just hang in there ;):D

... i am really into mods and tinkering. I have built many models over the years and pulled apart and rebuilt many things. I guess i am a typical tinkering male with a fair ability and knowledge etc. so it sort of appeals to me to tinker and mod and it seems that the MRCE is respected as a good lid when the effort has gone in to mod it correctly.

That is 100% correct. It's a respected bucket, and the more and better the mods you do on it the more respected it is... and, in turn, you are. B)

Just so that i can gauge it further, what sort of cost am i looking at for MR CE against AP/TE2?

PM sent.

Thanks, so much, especially to No 1, who has helped me with some great info.

Just one thing though.

I noticed on a screen grab i took of the 'Move along' SD from ANH that the brow trim finishes in line with the trap wher as the MRCE trim goes past the trap.

See pics:

------------

Is it possible to refit the trim to this position or does it really have to go past the trap to look right on the helmet?

Hope this makes some sense.

Also i am having real trouble finding an MRCE helmet and wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction, preferably in the UK.

Many thanks again,

Jamie

Edited by gmrhodes13

Hey just by asking that question, makes me think you should consider something more movie accurate. Next you will start to look at the strange frown, or the small eyes, or the narrow face, or the big cut away.

I have a friend and he does prefer the symmetrical CE look, but he would never think of the details mentioned. Or the brow not lining with the trap.

Guys Im not bashing the CE, it does have its strenghts.

Hey just by asking that question, makes me think you should consider something more movie accurate. Next you will start to look at the strange frown, or the small eyes, or the narrow face, or the big cut away.

I have a friend and he does prefer the symmetrical CE look, but he would never think of the details mentioned. Or the brow not lining with the trap.

Guys Im not bashing the CE, it does have its strenghts.

I agree, I loved my FX when it first arrived all those years ago, but everyone I have seen in this hobby eventually upgrades to a movie accurate bucket after a while.

Joe

doobydoo said:
I noticed on a screen grab i took of the 'Move along' SD from ANH that the brow trim finishes in line with the trap wher as the MRCE trim goes past the trap.

----------

Is it possible to refit the trim to this position or does it really have to go past the trap to look right on the helmet?

Yes, it's possible. Here's the thing though... B)

First off, you're looking at the "move along" trooper as you said. He's one of the more obviously "wonky" troopers out there for sure. So to try to make the MR CE as flawed as him is going to take a bit more work... but YES... totally doable!

You'll most likely have to replace the entire ear. And you will probably have to fill the "gap" that is left above the ear before the trap finishes.

As I just said on my MR CE tutorial thread, I did mine very "idealized"... so I wasn't looking for screen accuracy, but the "accuracy" of what the helmet might look like if the Empire were real. More like motorcycle helmets look... all "one piece." That's why the ears have no gap between them and I didn't do the teeth quiet so large.

When I did my TE2, however, I wanted that "move along" look for sure... but it was easier to get because that's what I was starting with. The brow trim ended exactly where it ended in the films. B)

-------

If you really like to mod and tinker things, you should really look into getting a bucket kit and build it.

There is more fun in trying to build something correctly, than touching up something already pre-formed.

ATA is a very affordable kit. I would urge you to consider a helmet that you can adjust to suit your liking.

But, this is just my opinion and it is ultimately up to you to decide what is best for you.

Hiya Jamie.

Like many have said here, the MRCE is a durable little bugger and for that reason I love it. It's damned near indestructible, which can be a good thing on some troops.

I also agree with many who have said that you will want to improve up to a movie accurate lid sooner or later. I'm ready to do that now, but I'll still keep the ol MRCE for troops that are likely to involve the public getting a bit 'too touchy'.

I don't know if its any help but there is a shop in Darlington ( Wow Factor ) that regularly stocks MRCE lids. Maybe if you found their E-mail they would post one out to you.

Darren

Hey Jamie,

If I could put my two cents in. I would look into TE2 Helmet. Great helmet at a Great price. Tony's helmets are cast off 2nd generation moulds taken from two original ANH Stunt helmet.

You can check out the how to video by TK-4510 called " TE2 Move Along build" ,

here is the link:

TE2 Move Along build

Edited by gmrhodes13

Great Guys, this is all fantastic info and thoughts.

I have pm'd TE2 today to ask about pricing and shipping of his kit.....

I am starting to have a change of thought and maybe it would be better to go stright in with something like a TE2.

Is there any way of obtaining TE2 in the UK or will it have to be Shipped from the US?

Maybe someone could PM me.

I am still waiting for my activation email to The UK Garrison, so i can't get chatting on there yet

Cheers,

Jamie