AP vs TM differences

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, I've been enjoying the back and forth. While it seems tangential to your original intent, it's discussions like these that bring to light the facts of the matter. I'd ask you not be discouraged by them as I think it is sometimes the only way information is brought to light.

Ā 

I'm only discouraged because a lot of the discussion which followed me posting my photos was dreadfully misinformed and based solely on an extremely unreliable set of photos. I don't want to be the source of more misleading debate, and I'm afraid I didn't find much of it very constructive.

Anybody who has not seen either the AP or the TM in the flesh could be forgiven for thinking that wearing AP is tantamount to dressing up as a Smurf ("pitufo" / "Schlumpf") and TM is banana-coloured!

But, yeah, I agree that it was all very adult and civil and that aspect should be applauded.

I agree. It's the size and shapes that matter. If you don't like the colour of either TM or AP ABS then just paint it.

Ā 

I think it would be great if you could get the AP/TM/LFL comparisons going. Maybe even throw in SDS too!

Ā 

RT also re-did his molds - I'm in the process of trying to get updated pix.

This was a good thread. Hell, you guys should throw in the other sets of armor in original form when people get them. Then the new guys would have an idea of what works for them. I know I had that problem when I first started. Threads like this would have been totally helpful.

rick deserves more praise for helping this thread.

Ā 

this thread is for the glory of AP and TM armor.

Ā 

comparing all sets of armor photographically is a great hope here.

Ā 

please rick, give us more shots of the back plates, and all the other elements as you see fit.

Ā 

nobody should fault your photos at all... I like them, and I ask for more.

Ā 

don't worry about people's perceptions of color, or your photos...

Ā 

we're all sitting back with popcorn and enjoying the show!

• 2 months later...

As a newbie this thread makes my head spin... When I was around the halfway part I was blurting out "How about them rubies?" after reading the heated debate... It's very nice to see the differences and similarities between the two and the screen used suits though.

Hi Cornelis,

TM is not cast from screen-used armour. It's a fan sculpt. Neverthelss, it's not to be compared with the original FX (now AM) fan sculpt.

In my humble opinion as the owner of both AP (recast from casts from a mix of a ROTJ suit and a tour suit and then reworked several times) and TM (fan sculp) the TM is a far more faithful reproduction of ANH armour.

I think the consensus here is that TM's work to date is pretty much unbeatable.

On 10/28/2009 at 5:03 AM, dougefresh said:

Hmm. Some interesting assertions made here.

Ā 

Just a couple notes:

Ā 

ATA isn't a fan sculpt. It's basically 4th generation TE.

Ā 

The Dan Laws helmets, and upcoming armor, ostensibly aren't fan-sculpts either, presuming he's working with *some* form of the moulds he created for TE.

Ā 

Ā 

I'll preface my comments by saying that I *really* like AP kits-- they look amazing, but...

Ā 

Something to consider when calling them "the most accurate"...

Ā 

Being that TE/TE2 derived from the same ROTJ suit that AP did, but have the benefit of having unique arms and legs, and not duplicates, I would argue that TE/TE2 is a bit closer to what's seen on screen.

It's also my opinion that the AP helmet (particularly the faceplate) has been cleaned up and sanitized a bit more than the TE/TE2 lids.

Ā 

Gino's stuff provides a good contender for "most accurate" as well, but being that it's so rare, and I've only seen it in pictures, I don't have a very educated opinion about it.

All I know is Brak's Buddie's sandtrooper looks friggin' sweet! :)

Ā 

I dunno -- the TM may not share the screen pedigree the other armor does, but ironically, I think it actually benefits from that fact in some ways...

The shoulder bells, for instance, seem far closer to the screen suits, IMO. And the same for the chest plate.

The cod and ab pieces also seem *visually* more similar to the original ANH suits than the modified ROTJ suits to me as well.

However, these are all purely esthetic similarities, since Paul built these from scratch and didn't cast them from an original prop.

Ā 

As for the thighs being overly curved-- yes, the curves are a *hair* exaggerated, but personally, I like it.

AP/TE2/GF/ATA/CAP, etc. all seem a little blunted to me in comparison to the armor on film.

-----------

Ā 

Granted, I think it's pretty conspicuous -- and kind of funny -- that so far all the respondents have been TM owners (myself included), but that kind of makes my point:

Ā 

We all seem to have our favorites, and we seem to lobby fairly vocally that our favorite brand is "the most accurate". :D

Ā 

It's always fun to discuss this stuff though-- I'm glad you brought the topic up.

I know I really enjoy hearing everyone's knowledge and opinions... I feel like I walk away a little smarter (or more obsessed? :) ) after these kinds of threads.

Ā 

Ā 

I like the trooper in the front row on the left with the misaligned lower calf armor. He looks as if his leg has been broken! LOL

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

whenever I look at that photo, and I look at the most recent TM kit, my only desire would that some of the curves be reduced just a small amount.

Ā 

the overall form that TM has established, and his work is getting so close, that he must have been working from the TE line of armor

as a basis for his kit.

Ā 

when I compare the ATA kit, to the AP kit, since I have them both here in my shop... I see details I wish were involved in the AP kit.

Ā 

wouldn't it be a much nicer world if we could get ATA kits in abs?

Ā 

then we'd have somthing to really compare!

Ā 

the originator of the TE line says in his videos that the suit his friends salvaged from the bin at elstree studios says that

they only gave him one arm set.

Ā 

then we see the other arm "ressurected" in the TE line of sculpts. makes you wonder where he got the other arm from?

Ā 

also, AP says that he reworked the forearms, and after extensive looks at the ATA kit, and other photos, there are major differences

between the kits.

Ā 

in the area of the belt, there is a major difference between AP and ata belt plastics!

Ā 

whenever I look at the TM hero helmet, and some of the builders, like keith, or mark G, on these TM helmets,

the detail is stunning!

the overall form that TM has established, and his work is getting so close, that he must have been working from the TE line of armor

as a basis for his kit.

Ā 

Vern

That statement right there says to me that you are implying that TM as resast TE,

is that what you're saying mate?

Ā 

Or are you saying that Paul sits there with a TE thigh on a plinth and painstakingly trys to recreate the shape and form of it to achieve the perfect armour :blink:

Ā 

Ā 

:huh:

I think that we all learn from what's out there.

Ā 

that's what I'm saying.

Ā 

like when we learned from the original FX.

Ā 

it's all a learning process...

Ā 

and I'm being positive about my comments in all these aspects.

Ā 

Ā 

every time TM has modified his moulds, he just keeps getting better and better.

and you can clearly see that he has not recast anything, his parts are different in shape,

from his exhaustive study of the original form, from original photos.

Ā 

not photos of TE. photos of the originals.

that's what I believe TM has become quite expert at doing.

Ā 

the photographic study, and his results are stunning!

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

so the tour suit has the squared off bicep? or the fluted and smaller one?

Ā 

my arm does not fit at all into the fluted/angled one at all without shimming about 1/2"

whereas the larger squared one fits fine, as long as I leave all the overlap on.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

I like the trooper in the front row on the left with the misaligned lower calf armor. He looks as if his leg has been broken! LOL

Ā 

Ā 

Thats what happens when you miss match the sniper plate on the wrong leg armour & try to wear it on the correct leg AFIK.

Ā 

Sorry Dont want to derail the thread guys, it's made for very interesting reading & a great catch up lesson B)

thanks steve, any information you provide is very in line with this thread.

and thanks again to mark, more information we all like to know about!