C4 costuming issue

skywalker_1982

It does not bother me so much as I am in at the holiday inn across the street but I am just wondering if there has been anything posted on the 501st forums in regards to how gencon are tackling the issue of people going in costume with no where to get changed cause I am sure they are not expecting people to get changed in their rooms and board the shuttle service to the convention centre everyday.

It does not bother me so much as I am in at the holiday inn across the street but I am just wondering if there has been anything posted on the 501st forums in regards to how gencon are tackling the issue of people going in costume with no where to get changed cause I am sure they are not expecting people to get changed in their rooms and board the shuttle service to the convention centre everyday.

wow, that would be a site to see :D

Well you see when C4 was announced the hotel location aspect had alot of people across various forums wondering as to how they are going to costume up as they did not particularly want to cart cases around,

then all of a sudden nothing else had been said on the issue for months hence why I was wondering if anything had been mentioned on the 501st forums as of yet being so close to the event.

Well I?m going fully dressed from the hotel...that?s for sure.

Hopefully Captain Crazas will drive me in everyday so I don?t worry too much... i?m acustomed (is that the correct way to write that?...my english needs improving...damn!) to be fully dressed as Darth Vader for 8 hours in a row so i?m used to it.

anyway if I need to go in a bus....well...i?ll do it too...fully dressed!

how are you guys going to face that issue?

Dargas.

Well I?m going fully dressed from the hotel...that?s for sure.

Hopefully Captain Crazas will drive me in everyday so I don?t worry too much... i?m acustomed (is that the correct way to write that?...my english needs improving...damn!) to be fully dressed as Darth Vader for 8 hours in a row so i?m used to it.

anyway if I need to go in a bus....well...i?ll do it too...fully dressed!

how are you guys going to face that issue?

Dargas.

I plan to be in armor most of the time. I think it is easier to walk in armor than to haul my carrier around. Besides, being in armor is cool. B)

Of course, I can also sit in my armor, so restaurants are not a problem for me!

yeah... the first mod I did on my armor was so that I could sit down... so that?s not a real issue with me.

do you thinks there should be a problem if a trooper where to be caught having a beer while in armor?

hmmmm!

Dargas.

yeah... the first mod I did on my armor was so that I could sit down... so that?s not a real issue with me.

do you thinks there should be a problem if a trooper where to be caught having a beer while in armor?

hmmmm!

Dargas.

IIRC the answer is no if you are representing the 501st or at a 501st event. Rome could say for sure. What you do when you're on your own is up to you.

jajaj...good to lnow...you know guys there?s something funny in Costa Rica with the beer thing.

The best and most cherished beer in here is called: IMPERIAL

jajajaja... i?m not joking! that?s what we drink in here! Imperial Beer!

jejeje.

Whatch the pic below!

Dargas.

P.D. I wouldn?t dare to drink while in service!

imperial Beer pic:

post-522-1176398857_thumb.jpg

post-522-1176398868_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I posed the question of changing areas at the convention center and the official word was that if you are a GEN CON volunteer, there are changing facilities. That's it. Nothing 501st specific.

I am volunteering for Official Pix but they don't have changing areas.

My plan is to tote my smaller bin on the shuttle buses, change at the center and then baggage check my bin. There is supposedly going to be a bag check area. Who knows at this point though.

The only time you shouldn't be drinking is while you're working. It's impossible to tell someone not to drink in costume because this is such a big Star Wars convention.

A private 501st member meeting is not the same thing as "interacting with the public" ;) (as I do recall the sound of a Guinness bottle being opened at the Legion commanders' meeting in Pasadena.... :D)

Pretty much the basic rules apply: if you're working with the public as the character in an official capacity, don't drink. If you're hanging around casually and your shift is over or if you're not involved in any panel or workshop, go nuts.

Ah come on lads. You can't drink whilst in armour. What if a little kiddie sees you? You'll totally wreck his world.

Taking helmets off in public is a no no in my books too but who am I eh?

In the UKG you get killed if you take your lid off in public. I remeber one little lad creeping into our changing room. His face, initially one of glee cos he was about see lots of stormtroopers turned into total sadness when he realised we were just normal people.

You've got to keep it real for the kids dudes

Has anyone been able to do that in a bucket successfully? I tried and it's a real pisser trying to get the straw to bend correctly.

I?ve been able to drink thru a straw and thru the mesh in my darth vader costume!

I Agree... we have to keep it real for the kids!

In here I never take the helmet off while in public!!

If I go out dressed is fully dressed and in character... if I have to take the helmet off it?ll be in the bathroom or somewhere where the kids won?t look at me and be dissapointed.

It should be a rule of thumb not to take the lid on public unless in a really strict nessecity!

Pardon my english!

My dear commander Dargas:

Get used to WALK TROOPER!!! Because that'a what we are going to do, walk in full armor from the hotel to the convention center, I know I can sit, but, you know, I'm not pretty sure I can DRIVE!! LOL (good thing we are not sandys so we don't have to carry those backpacks!!!

Ah come on lads. You can't drink whilst in armour. What if a little kiddie sees you? You'll totally wreck his world.

Taking helmets off in public is a no no in my books too but who am I eh?

In the UKG you get killed if you take your lid off in public. I remeber one little lad creeping into our changing room. His face, initially one of glee cos he was about see lots of stormtroopers turned into total sadness when he realised we were just normal people.

You've got to keep it real for the kids dudes

I agree, although I do not yet own armor, when I do get it I will make sure not to take off my helmet in public. :)

Well... I am planning to only drink in places that don't allow little kiddies inside... :D:pint1:

At times in the states it's unavoidable. For instance some malls don't let you walk around with buckets on (let alone blasters), so after a photo shoot we had to walk a short ways with them off.

yesterday Rocked!!!!

we celebrated the legion birth and we where able to gather around (edited due to new data:) 2000 overall ppl in the event!!!

from 10:00 am to 5:01pm we took pictures and did trooping and stuff in the National Kids Museum in here!!!

We didn?t took our lids off in public EVER!

it was a Storm!

Kids and dads alike!

Moms and girls!!!

EVERYBODY wanted to take a picture with the troopers! it was something the like we?ve never seen in Costa Rica regarding a starwars thing!

Gotta say it:

Mission Accomplished!!!

KEEP THE HELMETS ON BROTHERS!

Sometimes when people get rowdy, it helps to take the helmet off to let them know that you are human.

I agree, under certain situations, it is helpful.

I did a Kids walk on Friday, which was for JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation), and had so many elementary school kids guessing who I was. At the end of the walk, I was asked to speak to the kids (Since I also have Type 1, or Juvenile diabetes). I asked them if they wanted to see who I was, and they gave a resounding "YES". When I took off the bucket, most were surprised that it was not someone they knew, and I think that helped. I then told them not only was I a Stormtrooper, but I was a Type 1 Stormtrooper, and showed them my insulin pump, and talked a little bit about what they were doing would also help me.

It was very powerful, and the kids were awesome. The school raised almost $4,000 for the walk.

VERY Cool!!